Mark Smith

Old April 18th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Mark Smith

Has anyone heard from Mark Smith at MJ Proformance? Tried to call several times at 330-495-4582. No answer and voice mailbox not set up yet? Sent several emails via smitho455@att.net. No answer. He had some health issues last year. Does anyone know if he's okay?

George
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by george landis
Has anyone heard from Mark Smith at MJ Proformance? Tried to call several times at 330-495-4582. No answer and voice mailbox not set up yet? Sent several emails via smitho455@att.net. No answer. He had some health issues last year. Does anyone know if he's okay?

George
did you ever get up with smitty?
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:30 AM

any word from smitty275 - Mark Smith?
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:51 AM

Reply heard

Got an email and some pics. He is starting final assembly on my motor. Hopefully everything goes well. Have recently moved (June 29th). Downsizing and a Handicap equipped home. Looking forward to some positives on engine run-in and afterwards the dyno report. Never thought it would take this long. Life issues and timing have probably been our (my builder and I), waterloo. Communications could have been better, but I tried to understand and give a wide (14 months now) berth. I was under the false impression that my builder was a machinist and did all the work. Since then I have realized that most of the machining is farmed out and he checks the final work. Looking forward to the final product and am maintaining a positive attitude.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:31 PM

He is on face book everyday!

Gene
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:44 AM

Got an email and some pics. He is starting final assembly on my motor. Hopefully everything goes well. Have recently moved (June 29th). Downsizing and a Handicap equipped home. Looking forward to some positives on engine run-in and afterwards the dyno report. Never thought it would take this long. Life issues and timing have probably been our (my builder and I), waterloo. Communications could have been better, but I tried to understand and give a wide (14 months now) berth. I was under the false impression that my builder was a machinist and did all the work. Since then I have realized that most of the machining is farmed out and he checks the final work. Looking forward to the final product and am maintaining a positive attitude.

He absolutely is a machinist. Yes he farms out what he does not have the equipment to do himself (mainly boring blocks and grinding cranks) but that is not at all uncommon in the engine building business. I have been to his shop numerous times and have seen first hand what equipment he has and some of the machining operations he does. Just stating the facts.
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Thanks

Thanks Chadman for letting me know his facilities capabilities. I was not aware of this going in 14 months ago. I am looking forward to receiving a strong and reliable motor. I remain positive regardless of time, health issues both ways, and perceived communication issues. Received many private messages both positive and helpful to this and my "400e" thread. Am not impatient nor stiff. Will be happy when my 442 is whole again and running like she should. Thanks again to you, and all on Classic Oldsmobile who have responded.

George
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM

glad you heard from smitty, i did as well, things seem to be moving along ok
Old October 17th, 2015, 06:27 PM

just to let you know George,
the stock G heads i got from smitty, due to the circumstances, i had inspected...

they were pressure tested/checked for cracks

came with all new valves/retainers etc.
smitty had already installed the correct springs for my cam, installed height was 1.900
they had new intake guides
they had new exhaust seats
were cut down for PC seals
came with a good valve job/lapping etc.
all the bolt holes are good

the CC's of the chambers were pretty close to each other, average was 78
all they needed was a 5 thousandths cleanup off the surface

thanks again smitty, i really appreciate it

all done here

Last edited by naphtali5725; October 17th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:14 AM

Mark Smith

Rec'd assembled engine Oct 19th, fully crated. Smitty paid for the return shipping through Fastenal. Some forgotten parts to be shipped later. Engine full of 10W30 super synthetic. Was told it was run on test stand. Not sure. Rec'd email with instructions on how to break in motor? Also very few motor spec/clearances. My business with Smitty is concluded. Have accepted my fate and will take it like the diminished man that I am. No wish to stir. Today's business transactions are certainly different from times past. I will reserve further comment. I regret any confrontations between Olds members that I may have caused by this thread. Thanks for everyone's input. Good Luck.

George
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Rec'd assembled engine Oct 19th, fully crated. Smitty paid for the return shipping through Fastenal. Some forgotten parts to be shipped later. Engine full of 10W30 super synthetic. Was told it was run on test stand. Not sure. Rec'd email with instructions on how to break in motor? Also very few motor spec/clearances. My business with Smitty is concluded. Have accepted my fate and will take it like the diminished man that I am. No wish to stir. Today's business transactions are certainly different from times past. I will reserve further comment. I regret any confrontations between Olds members that I may have caused by this thread. Thanks for everyone's input. Good Luck.

George
make sure to update us on the engine!!!
Old November 18th, 2015, 04:53 AM

any updates?
Old November 18th, 2015, 06:50 AM

Was told it was run on test stand. Not sure.
George

No it wasn't, unfortunately yet another lie. Paint is still on the piston tops. Sorry.
Old November 18th, 2015, 06:55 AM

paint? from the block being painted? j/c
Old November 18th, 2015, 07:16 AM

Yes, painted without spark plugs in it. Paint is still on the tops of the pistons.
Old November 18th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Yes, painted without spark plugs in it. Paint is still on the tops of the pistons.
That will not hurt anything Mark!I don't get where you are coming from. Yes it would be better if they didn't have paint on them but the amount would have to be minor amount.So fill us in why that would stop a engine from being on a run stand.Did you find anything else?

Last edited by wr1970; November 18th, 2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
That will not hurt anything Mark!I don't get where you are coming from. Yes it would be better if they didn't have paint on them but the amount would have to be minor amount.So fill us in why that would stop a engine from being on a run stand.Did you find anything else?
I believe that is because the paint would have been burned off the tops of the pistons if the engine had been run, as the builder indicated.......
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I believe that is because the paint would have been burned off the tops of the pistons if the engine had been run, as the builder indicated.......
Maybe he ran it before it was painted! I don't know that is why i ask.
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:39 AM

Mark Smith

I had understood that the motor had been run on a test stand and was waiting on the dyno. Lack of communication from the builder himself and excessive build time (15 months)caused me to lose confidence. I decided not to continue to wait on the dyno, and ask for the motor to be shipped back to me, along with all parts. I received an email (finally!) describing a detailed guide to break the motor in. Including spraying water down the carb to keep the intake charge/combustion chambers cool. I wondered why when I understood that it had already been run on a test stand. I saw brown on the piston tops that made me think it had been run. Once the motor was opened up and my brown spots on the top of the pistons were discovered to actually to be paint, then it became apparent that Smitty was obviously mistaken and in fact the motor hadn't been run. The paint itself is inconsequential. It only fooled me into believing the motor had been run. To restore my confidence in the motor, I have ask for the motor to be looked over. Thanks to everyone.

George
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM

This whole thing is sad. I hope everything is OK with the motor after its reinspected before its runs. More stories coming out about his work being less than par. Sounds like he needs to just be done and retire focusing on his health.
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:06 PM

I had understood that the motor had been run on a test stand and was waiting on the dyno. Lack of communication from the builder himself and excessive build time (15 months)caused me to lose confidence. I decided not to continue to wait on the dyno, and ask for the motor to be shipped back to me, along with all parts. I received an email (finally!) describing a detailed guide to break the motor in. Including spraying water down the carb to keep the intake charge/combustion chambers cool. I wondered why when I understood that it had already been run on a test stand. I saw brown on the piston tops that made me think it had been run. Once the motor was opened up and my brown spots on the top of the pistons were discovered to actually to be paint, then it became apparent that Smitty was obviously mistaken and in fact the motor hadn't been run. The paint itself is inconsequential. It only fooled me into believing the motor had been run. To restore my confidence in the motor, I have ask for the motor to be looked over. Thanks to everyone.

George
Thanks George for the info. I am hoping you get good news and report back good or bad.
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

WOW this whole deal is just sad.
Old November 20th, 2015, 05:31 AM

Here are a few pics. Does it look like it's been run? Not to me.
And check out the "Port Job" that George paid for. More lies.

And let me say this again. This is NOT to solicit for more opportunity on my part. In fact right now I'm buried anyway. It is solely to warn people and let them make an informed decision.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Georges valves.JPG (94.0 KB, 73 views)
Georges short block.JPG (106.3 KB, 76 views)
Georges cyl head2.JPG (139.7 KB, 74 views)
Georges cyl head1.JPG (138.2 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by cutlassefi; November 20th, 2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Here are a few pics. Does it look like it's been run? Not to me.
And check out the "Port Job" that George paid for. More lies.

And let me say this again. This is NOT to solicit for more opportunity on my part. In fact right now I'm buried anyway. It is solely to warn people and let them make an informed decision.

Thank you.
Mark i am not disagreeing with you.What i was saying unless you find evidence this motor would have run even if george didn't get what he paid for.Did the builder run the engine not from what you posted in the pictures.Sad isn't even the right word.Carry on guys.
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Me thinks that George should have gotten a big kiss............
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RandyS
Me thinks that George should have gotten a big kiss............
I agree, George had sex.