Fuel vapor return line

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Fuel vapor return line

I have an aftermarket mechanical fuel pump installed on my '69 400G. The engine is relatively lightly modified (aluminum heads/intake, Demon 750cfm carb) and runs fine. When I installed the fuel pump, the manufacturer recommended I not hook up the vapor return line. His theory was that this could possibly starve the engine of fuel under hard accel conditions. I followed his advice and the engine has been running fine under light acceleration conditions.
About 2 weeks ago I got on it from a start (~75% throttle) and the engine started running a little rough and finally stalled once I slowed down.
My question is what symptoms might I expect to see by not having the vapor return line connected. Any comments are appreciated.
Old February 19th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
I have an aftermarket mechanical fuel pump installed on my '69 400G. The engine is relatively lightly modified (aluminum heads/intake, Demon 750cfm carb) and runs fine. When I installed the fuel pump, the manufacturer recommended I not hook up the vapor return line. His theory was that this could possibly starve the engine of fuel under hard accel conditions. I followed his advice and the engine has been running fine under light acceleration conditions.
About 2 weeks ago I got on it from a start (~75% throttle) and the engine started running a little rough and finally stalled once I slowed down.
My question is what symptoms might I expect to see by not having the vapor return line connected. Any comments are appreciated.
What brand of pump? Are you running a fuel pressure gage?
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:34 PM

I have the same problem, however I'm running a Holley 125 electric pump and same thing, under a hard run the motor starves-bogs until you get out of the throttle. What are you using for a vent system? 67-455 retro-mod 442, the robski
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:36 PM

FYI-also I have a RobMac 1/2 inch pickup in the tank.
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Not sure of the specs on the pump but I could get them. It's a mechanical pump in the stock location running a 3/8" feed line. I installed an Earl's in-line filter about 4" upstream of the pump (low pressure side). My engine builder tried to convince me of leaving off a filter to avoid potential starvation problems but I don't like that idea. I could easily remove the filter to see if that makes any difference but I don't really want to run it without a filter. I'm not sure if installing the filter on the high pressure side would make any difference.
As far as a vent is concerned, I have the factory vent at the tank but nothing else. That's what got me wondering about the need for a return line. It would be easy enough to install one and try it but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else tried running without one and if it caused any problems.
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Not sure of the specs on the pump but I could get them. It's a mechanical pump in the stock location running a 3/8" feed line. I installed an Earl's in-line filter about 4" upstream of the pump (low pressure side). My engine builder tried to convince me of leaving off a filter to avoid potential starvation problems but I don't like that idea. I could easily remove the filter to see if that makes any difference but I don't really want to run it without a filter. I'm not sure if installing the filter on the high pressure side would make any difference.
As far as a vent is concerned, I have the factory vent at the tank but nothing else. That's what got me wondering about the need for a return line. It would be easy enough to install one and try it but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else tried running without one and if it caused any problems.
Ding ding the builder is right!
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:42 AM

A vapor line is to deal with vapor lock, which is normally when trying to hot-start the engine, not while running.
A filter on the suction side of the pump is a bad idea and can make the pump starve. Move the filter to the pressure side.
Bear in mind the carb bowls can run the car even at WOT for a few seconds. So if it bogs immediately then it's definitely a carb issue. In any case, I still expect it's a carb issue.
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:56 AM

Just a quick note to wrap this up. I tracked the source of the problem to a weak connection for the 12V HEI power source so it wasn't fuel related at all. However, I did take the advice given above and have moved the fuel filter from the low pressure side of the pump to the high pressure side.
Running good so far.