Fast E.F.I system

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2015, 10:09 AM

Fast E.F.I system

Has anyone had any experience using the FAST EZ E.F.I 1.0 system on their Hi-Performance 455? Have a good line on one for cheap from a buddy of mine. Or is carb the way to go?
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:16 AM

Fast efi

A friend of mine is now running it on his Chevy 454. He says it works great. Car fires right up, runs better and is more responsive. He did have to run an electric fuel pump in the gas tank and some wiring for the computer. My understanding is that they can be tricky to install. Make sure it has everything including the instructions.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:30 AM

I just installed one on a jeep with a SBC a couple weeks ago.

The kit is vey simple, I was not happy with the very generic global fueling adjustments. Bottom line, it works smoother than a carband the customer was happy...
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:58 PM

I have FAST EZ-EFI version 1 on my SBO. Overall I'm very happy with it, my only complaint is there is no adjustment to cold start/warm up fueling (under 140* coolant temp).

Better starts, smoother and quicker throttle response, better mileage, and easier to tune than the Q-jet that was on there. Toughest part of install was fuel system, I suggest an in-tank pump instead of in-line. Spend a few extra bucks on a drop in module and be done with it.

If you're looking for a set it once and forget it system, it's great. If you want more features and like to tinker and fine tune, there are better options out there. If I were to do another self-learning system I'd go with Holley Terminator. It has more features, especially important is timing control. The Terminator came out just a few months after I installed my EZ-EFI.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:06 AM

Thanks for all the input. I guess the real question is, in a performance aspect, ( Horsepower) which would give me better numbers? Or would I be sacrificing or leaving on power "on the Table" if I use this system over say an 850 c.f.m carb?
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:00 AM

In general they're better than a carb but they still have their issues, as stated here. Plus that version doesn't do spark control, a big disadvantage. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?
Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM

I have mine installed on my SBO. Overall, I am happy with the setup. Due to the way the system determines load, fuel trims, etc, it can be very finicky with certain setups that do not provide enough idle vacuum (i.e. too much cam). The spark control was covered with the EZ-EFI 2.0 that is more full-featured and can run nitrous as well. I do love mine, though, as it was the low-cost, "i don't know anything about fuel maps", easy to setup alternative i was looking for at the time. I am going to continue running the setup on my 455 big block too, as I can't get myself (or my wife) to part with money for another setup.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:13 AM

I recently use the 2.0 on a dyno session on top of a 496 for a Toro. I was not impressed. I have used many FAST port injection systems in the past and like them. In this case there were several cylinders that were lean and several that were too rich. Since the only tuning for mixture was 100% either leaner or richer we had to choose richer to protect the already lean cylinders. Until I prove different I am putting the blame on the Toro intake however a port injection system would have produced more power.
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Thanks Dick Miller for your input. This system.(ez - fast 1.0 ) is still available to me. From what I reading Im not sure about it. I think maybe I'm going with what I know and that's a old fashion carb. Very conflicted!