74 fresh/350 mix match heads #3 & #6 HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM

74 fresh/350 mix match heads #3 & #6 HELP!!!!

I picked it up today it's a fresh motor Ill tell you what I know. I see a fresh turn crank 10/10 new Barings new oil pump , new single timing chain and gears; haven't pulled cover off yet. New pistons with 332ap std stamped on top ( looking through spark plug holes). New rpm performer intake . New billet hei distributor (no name ) it's red. New headman headers in box (black) . New alternator . Two jugs of oil and antifreeze .a old Holley 750 and a quadrajet, and a Holley air breather. Now here's what I don't understand 1 #3 head and 1 #6 head both have comp cams roller rockers 1.6 , screw in studs and guid plates. How can this be ? Only thing I can think of is changed valves or sum thing I'm in hopes I luck out and there's a lot of good head work done but I haven't taken heads off yet. I turned motor over its tight everything seems good but I'm no expert. There's been no oil in motor I still see asyemby lube . There suposta be a comp extrem energy cam in it I forgot numbers. I'm thinking after I take heads off I should take it to a machine shop and have it all checked out . Any infor or advice here I'd really appreciate it . 800$ did I win or is it still too early to call? What to look for when removing heads and cam?
Old June 14th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Those heads would flow similar stock but would be different chamber CC. Hopefully the builder knew this and milled accordingly but probably not. I would CC both heads and measure valve sizes to see what you have. There could also be slight push rod interference on the #3 having a 45 degree valve angle originally. There should be numbers on the cam to identify it. I would also replace the cheapo timing set with a Cloyes double roller. With the heads off you will be able to see how big of a dish the pistons have too.
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I can't find the exact volume of those 332-AP pistons, but they have a curved dish (so it's hard to calculate the volume from the dimensions) of 2.920" x 0.215" and are listed as 7.9:1.

Not sure how nice they'll play with that cam.

- Eric
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I can't find the exact volume of those 332-AP pistons, but they have a curved dish (so it's hard to calculate the volume from the dimensions) of 2.920" x 0.215" and are listed as 7.9:1.

Not sure how nice they'll play with that cam.

- Eric
Yes the pistons do have a curv to them. Dub timing chain I already know it needs. I've got a stock set of 7a heads maybe better off having some work done to them and slapping them on depending on the cam in it. Sounds like those pistons are worse than the stock ones in these 72 blocks I've got.... I'm not sure which way to go here