Need advice plz $3500. crazy price? seems cheap

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
He will "prepare" another one? Something isn't right.
I have a freshly rebuilt shortblock,not a long block or complete engine,and I can tell you there is no way I would do a complete dynoed engine for $3500.00.
My shortblock is for sale,if you would like to ad your own upper half.

Thanks for the offer Brian, At this time My current Long block olds is running great, I found this 455 listed High performance for the $3500. I would much prefer a 455 over the 350, However my decisions may change in the future as to the 455 to a decent 350 build. Just unsure at this point as my interest was in the motor listed.

@ holiday I have sent Jeff an email and I'll keep yourself, others updated to clarify any thoughts on beattywoods my response is below

10:23

AM

To: beattywoods

From:eric hoben (storm_tooling@hotmail.com)Sent:January-18-14 10:23:38 AMTo: beattywoods (beattywoods@primus.ca)

Hello Jeff,

Considering the engine has been in your possession for months without payment and given the current economic times with very poor profit margins, it's great news for you that you sold it. I'm sure the buyer will be happy with his/her purchase for $3500.

As I travel to the city daily, my question's would be... would it be possible to drop by your shop Monday Jan 20th and have a look at the block that was traded? I'd like to view the block #s, head #s as well the overall condition of the motor prior to making a decision? Also, the motor was listed as a high performance 455 build. Are dished pistons coupled with some parts listed in the build considered H/P in your shop?

The answers to these questions and being able to have a look at the block would greatly assist me in making a decision.

I would be interested in coming by to view Beattywoods and meet with you.

Regards,
Eric

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:23 AM

I don't know what level of power you would consider "high performance", but if a 9.25 compression motor that makes 380hp on pump gas isn't enough, they can always build you a more powerful engine. All it takes is money. How much power do you need or want? Are you going to race the car? You need to consider these things before you start throwing money at it.
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by holiday88
I don't know what level of power you would consider "high performance"

I didn't know myself hence the reason for my post as to a search of a 455 high performance build with dyno !!

, but if a 9.25 compression motor that makes 380hp on pump gas isn't enough, they can always build you a more powerful engine.

I'm sure he could. I just assumed High performance meant high performance. Not one up from stock. I'm not looking for cheap but a deal is always good, I was getting info here on if this motor was in fact worth the $$$ and how H/P it was . But hey gas is over $5.00 a gal here!! I just learned that yesterday.

All it takes is money.

Very true.

How much power do you need or want?

Does it matter to you how much power I need or want ?

Are you going to race the car?

Again does it matter to you ? Are you planning a build for my car?

You need to consider these things before you start throwing money at it.

All considered here thanks for your help, other than you forgot to post the name of who built your 2 drag motors at beatty woods.

Last edited by 76olds; January 18th, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Just trying to help, obviously I've rubbed you wrong way and that was not my intention. The questions I asked were for you to answer for yourself. If you don't know what you want, how can you expect others to decide for you?

Regarding Beatty and Woods, they've been around since the sixties, do a search on them.
I haven't stepped in their shop in twenty years, so I couldn't honestly say who works there now, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. There are other shops around that can do the work, but you'll probably have to supply the cores. In any case the motor you want is gone so all of this seems pointless.

Good luck.

Last edited by holiday88; January 18th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thank-you for the advice and help holiday88... my sincere apologies to my statement, Yes the fact is the motor has sold. Sometimes things happen and they work out for the best.

Sincerely Eric
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

Again thanks for all the advice given on this motor which was sold. I would just like to post the email Beattywoods sent to clarify his intentions as a reputable business as holiday88 claimed. I couldn't say either way however no harm no foul in my case.

From:beattywoods (beattywoods@primus.ca)To: Eric (storm_tooling@hotmail.com)

Absolutely you can pop in any time,... I am cleaning the block and and heads this weekend,.. so they will be shot blasted right down to the bare metal for easy inspection.

Regarding the dished pistons,... an Oldsmobile uses a very small chamber in the cylinder head,... all 455 Olds engines used a “dish” piston.

....a high compression engine vs low compression uses a smaller or larger dish respectively.

For example,... a 455 with a “flat top” piston (that GM never even made) would have an 11:1 compression ratio.

If you are interested in more power,.... we have built quite a few 455’s using the Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads etc along with roller camshafts,... and have easily gotten
up into the 600 hp range.

Looking forward to meeting up with you....

J

Old January 19th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Justin

Maybe they were just fishing for work a lot of shops are slow so to discount labor and make some money opposed to no business it's easy to have busy bee work from time to time. Just a thought
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldstata
Maybe they were just fishing for work a lot of shops are slow so to discount labor and make some money opposed to no business it's easy to have busy bee work from time to time. Just a thought

Absolutely X2 on that note, My shop is only 15min away so I'm going to drop by sometime tomorrow just to meet up. they only statement that through me for a loop was in the original email, stating that he would build another the same (ie not cut any corners and cheap out) lol engine builders never cut corners or cheap out. We were all born honest as lawyers n straighter than a preachers !!!!

Last edited by 76olds; January 19th, 2014 at 04:31 PM.