Aftermarket Heads or Port Cast Iron

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Smitty275;650285]Not gonna happen very easily. For love the valve reliefs are totally wrong. SBC valves are at a 23° angle. Ours are at a 6° angle. Valve placement in the cylinder is totally different as is the combustion chamber. You'd be doing a lot of modifying of the dome to make it work and would most likely end up with holes in it some where. Most domes are hollowed out underneath to reduce weight.
[QUOTE]

You and I have had this discussion before. With all due respect, unless you have lifts of .700 or more and on a very tight lobe sep this isn't an issue.
I know this to be a fact. I used a SBF piston in the last DX I did. With .610 lift and 234@.050 on a 108 I still had .240 piston to valve clearance at tdc overlap. That's more than plenty.
However you are correct on the dome position. Chances are you'd need some work there and that could get costly, if the piston could even take it.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 4th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:57 PM
" Hoo yah "

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I suppose since they are relatively new, there aren't a ton of failures yet.
That being said, I do know from my inference skills that the specs aren't where they're supposed to be.....Otherwise Bernard probably wouldn't offer an inspected and better package.

My take is, if you're a machinist, you can get away with buying the cheap ones and straightening them out to your liking, but I'll guarantee they're cheap for a reason.
Edelbrock heads are expensive, and not "spectacular" out of the box. Just regular ol' heads to drive with.
If something is truly great, It'll bring money, if it sucks, It'll be cheap. Common sense to me.

Edelbrocks cost more money, and they're middle of the road so to speak if you just unbox them and bolt them on.
I agree they haven't been on market for a long time, but it has been at least since fall of 2011, and I haven't seen one thread on Olds Procomp heads having those issues. I also agree they are not the best quality valves and springs that could be used.
I guess the best method is to buy Procomps bare for about $800.00 bucks then be a smart shopper and get a deal on quality valves and springs. The same could be applied to finding a set of bare eddy's and doing the same thing.

Everyone knows Ka heads rule the iron world any way.. It would be nice if they offered a direct bolt on Alum head for SBO Olds, but when I ponder that thought I come to the conclusion that it may be just a waste of time for aluminum heads on a gas 350 block.

Last edited by 815Cutlass1972; February 4th, 2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Forgot a word
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by 815Cutlass1972
Everyone knows Ka heads rule the iron world any way.. It would be nice if they offered a direct bolt on Alum head for Olds, but when I ponder that thought I come to the conclusion that it may be just a waste of time for aluminum heads on a gas 350 block.
Smitty just started on a pair. Check it out. No problems so far it looks like.

here----> https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mp-teaser.html
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'll flow those #5's that Cutlasfreak is messing with for me and flow those J heads that I got from you. We shall see........

Big valve /small runner vs. smallvalve/ big runner
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Procomps were not available when i got my heads done. If i knew the first thing about how to read plugs and tune a carb im sure i will get my 11 sec slip. My plan for this summer is to work on tuning. Anyone know of a good book or article on plug reading?
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Just curious what does a .100" cut cost approximately for aluminum heads?
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Engine Builder

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;650308][QUOTE=Smitty275;650285]Not gonna happen very easily. For love the valve reliefs are totally wrong. SBC valves are at a 23° angle. Ours are at a 6° angle. Valve placement in the cylinder is totally different as is the combustion chamber. You'd be doing a lot of modifying of the dome to make it work and would most likely end up with holes in it some where. Most domes are hollowed out underneath to reduce weight.

You and I have had this discussion before. With all due respect, unless you have lifts of .700 or more and on a very tight lobe sep this isn't an issue.
I know this to be a fact. I used a SBF piston in the last DX I did. With .610 lift and 234@.050 on a 108 I still had .240 piston to valve clearance at tdc overlap. That's more than plenty.
However you are correct on the dome position. Chances are you'd need some work there and that could get costly, if the piston could even take it.
He asked about a SBC domed piston and that is what I answered to. Flat tops are another story which wasn't included in my reply since it wasn't pertinent.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM

Coolest pic ever!

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Just wanted to say hi to everyone, and say that this is pretty much one of the coolest pics I've ever seen. 2 70's hanging the hoops at the same time, it's hard to beat that!