Oldsmobile Race Cars

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Too Kind

Wayne and Dave----Wow ! Thank you for the extremely kind words. Wayne--You've been involved with Oldsmobiles for a long time yourself and along with your son have really created some beautiful and fast cars. Dave--You are fortunate in two ways ,not only to find one of my favorite Anderson cars but to have Wayne and his Son helping you. I just turned 70 and still working full time and on call 24/7 along with taking care of Pop. I'm hoping I will be able to slow it down after this year and would love to catch up with you guys and go to some events--- maybe showcasing our old cars. Would like to visit and tell some lies with some of the guys still above ground from those days. ------Danny

Last edited by 66 POST; January 25th, 2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:29 AM

Headers

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Way cool! Any idea what a nightmare they must have been to install?? Or were they no sweat?

Hanging in my rafters is a nos set of hookers for the 66 67 cars with 2 inch tubes, they can give you a woodie just looking at them.
They bolted up in several pieces and really weren't too bad, they just looked complicated. The old cars rode a lot higher in those days and now they have a much lower stance . They look cool but would drag on everything not to mention an occasional hard landing. ----- Lol ! I understand the woodie thing ---there's a lot of that stuff around here.------Danny
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:30 PM

Yes. I think another mistake aside from being labeled a 442 is this was the summer nationals instead of the winter nationals? I'm pretty sure this is a different car than the red Remlinger 72 convertible and I don't know the fate of the 71 blue car. The red 72 survived. Also odd with the blue car was the use of 71 S grilles instead of the correct 71 Supreme grilles which were metal instead of plastic. Incorrect grilles were also used on Ron Garey's 71 blue Supreme.

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Anybody notice anything funny about the two pictures above and the caption?
Not a 442. In one the car is I/SA with 7" tires and the other is SS/KA with 9" tires.
1971 trim in Stock; 1972 in SS.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 25th, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:34 PM

NICE!!!

Originally Posted by italian ice
You mention Gene Collins. My car was owned by Eugene "Gene" Collins, driven by Gene Evans. Not likely to be the same guy but I have to ask the question..... See rear quarter. Name on the door was Evans the driver.
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:02 PM

Danny, Wayne, & Dave. I would sure likecto get in on onevof those "lieing" sessions with you guys.
Also, in regard to some comments, Questions about Wheelers(non-442) blue ragtop- i/sa pic is at Ontario Supernationals, 1971, - SS/KA pic is Pomona 72. Car is a 71, as I/SA and"updated" to a 72 for 72 rules. May not have been absolutely correct, but the updates were sufficient to satisfy NHRA tech . That car was sold and the red 72 Cutlass ragtop was built. That is tge car Sammy P. owns today.
In regard to comment about Garey's 71 car having wrong grill?? Sorry to inform you that the grille in the car is the one that came in it from the factory - be it "right or wrong". Hope this clears quwstions up a bit?
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM

C'mon Tweed, where have you been anyway? I hope working on the '68. Are you making any progress? Close to burnin' rubber?
Bob D', how about posting some more pics of El Malo? We gotta get that car track-ready....I'm sure we all will pitch in whether with parts or suggestions.
Danny, Right you are. I really cherish my friendship with the Shipleys and consider them family. Wayne is my mentor and I am both honored and grateful for all he does to help me.
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:19 PM

I contacted Darwin Doll and will be attending the York US 30 Reunion in July with the "Anderson Olds" '69 W-31. If you guys have any interest at all in vintage drag race cars, I strongly recommend attending this show. The year before last, I invited Frank Augustine (wrench for Anderson's race cars back in the day), and much to my surprise he brought along Jack "Doc" Robinson. You may recognize that name as Jack bought and raced at least one ex-Ron Garey car. I'm gonna be talking with Frank A., and hopefully he can make it again this year and maybe bring Jack, too.
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:17 AM

Thanks for settling my confusion on the blue car. So the blue car was sold and we don't really know its fate? I didn't think it was the same as the red car. You probably told me all this before. That is interesting about those grilles coming on the car. Must be a weight saver because they definitely are wrong for 71 Supreme and convertibles at least for the mass public. Ron Garey's Supreme had the same grilles. I had a couple of pairs of those metal 71 Supreme grilles and used them incorrectly in my old 71 442. Those metal Supreme grilles put more stress on those already delicate stone shields. 71 Supreme grilles are the only metal ones from 70-72. Also a found an example of Cutlass S grilles in of the Lattimore cars.

ABOVE 71 S GRILLE
BELOW 71 SUPREME

Aren't all 71 convertibles Supremes?

Yet below is a Supreme show car with the 71 non Supreme grilles. Maybe the Garey's blue 71 Supreme was
another show car like his red 70 w-30 that Jack Robinson later raced?

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Danny, Wayne, & Dave. I would sure likecto get in on onevof those "lieing" sessions with you guys.
Also, in regard to some comments, Questions about Wheelers(non-442) blue ragtop- i/sa pic is at Ontario Supernationals, 1971, - SS/KA pic is Pomona 72. Car is a 71, as I/SA and"updated" to a 72 for 72 rules. May not have been absolutely correct, but the updates were sufficient to satisfy NHRA tech . That car was sold and the red 72 Cutlass ragtop was built. That is tge car Sammy P. owns today.
In regard to comment about Garey's 71 car having wrong grill?? Sorry to inform you that the grille in the car is the one that came in it from the factory - be it "right or wrong". Hope this clears quwstions up a bit?

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 26th, 2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:16 AM

Talking

Danny you might see this sooner than I can get in touch-----6.54 @ 103 1.37 60ft. carrying the wheels......Never lost a round and got paid......Not bad for 1st time with this combination and start of 2015
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:57 AM

I ran across these buried deep in my facebook albums

70 Toro above

66 Toro above

69 above

I perceive the above car to be a 70 Delta 2 door.

74 Cutlass above

Early 70s Toro above

mid 70s Toro above

71 Cutlass

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 26th, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Old January 26th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Old January 26th, 2015, 11:37 AM

ratfink_zpsgjj0r6p1.jpg
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:37 AM
"Car"mudgeon

The Olds is the bad guy in this one if you haven't seen it. Anyway go full screen and enjoy.

Old January 27th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Rare movie. Thanks.

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
The Olds is the bad guy in this one if you haven't seen it. Anyway go full screen and enjoy.

Hot Rod 1979 AKA Rebel Of The Road.
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:49 PM
"Car"mudgeon

You're quite welcome brother

Anyone have any info on this one?

Go Shop with dial in on back passenger door glass and no record holder info on back rear glass

No dial-in with record holder info on back rear glass

Looks like Keystone Classics? on the rear in the upper pic and Centerlines? on the rear of the lower? And aren't those Motor/Wheel rims on the front? Speaking of Motor/Wheel, does anyone have any info on this patch? Approximate era? It is about 1" tall by about 4 1/2" wide.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Motor Wheel patch.jpg (11.0 KB, 325 views)
Old January 27th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The rears that look like centerlines are actually cragar super tricks. The fronts are motor wheel spyders. The wheels them selves are worth big bucks as they where only in production for a short time. In other pics of go shop cars he has what looks like weld wheels but are actually motor wheel (fly) wheels. That's about all I know.
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:39 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Way Cool coppercutlass! So ultimately would have the Oldsmobile "factory" racing division would've furnished the Motor/Wheel Spyders or would this be a quest for a stronger rim to accept the punishment of constant wheelstands from the launches from the torque monster "Go Shop" Wagon?
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:49 PM

That I don't know but motor wheel did make a lot of wheels for o.e. companies . I don't know how light the spyders where as they had I think a magnesium center and steel hoop . They made more o.e. wheels than aftermarket wheels. They are the company I belive who introduced the polycast wheel and who intorduce the magnum 500 style wheel.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 27th, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:03 AM

Keystones on Troxel built cars; Motorwheel for Seger/Griffin

The flattop Go Shop wagon was one of three Troxell Built cars seen with Keystones along with the Vista Bruiser wagon (later raced by Paul Mayo) and the 71 SX convertible. All three of these cars were purchased from Troxell by Dick Griffin. The SX convertible and flat top wagon were raced by Griffin's partner Al Seger. All three of these Troxell built cars are seen with Keystones. With both the SX convertible and flat top wagon the keystones gradually diminish to mostly Motorwheel rims that Al Seger tends to run on his cars. See various photos below of rims. Remember the SX convertible was eventually painted white by Seger and converted to 72. So generally the pictures with keystones are probably dated earlier than the gradual infestation of Motor Wheel pictures. An exception to this is the color picture of the Vista Bruiser near the bottom under Paul Mayo ownership which would be the newest picture of that car. Plenty of pictures with mixed wheels. Troxell ran Keystones on these cars. Seger and Griffin ran motorwheels. Strange how the keystones ended back up on the Vista Bruiser when Mayo got the car.

Above is earliest pictures of Go Shop before Griffin /Seger purchased the car. Keystones.

Below is Dick Griffin with car. Note the mixed rims already.

Above is Jack Troxell to the extreme left in the picture.

Above is the SX convertible at Indy. I believe Troxel may of only raced once if that before Dick Griffin bought the car. Exclusive Keystones here.

Below is an early picture of the Vista Bruiser clearly under Paul Mayo ownership with Keystones. This after Dick Griffin ran the car with motor wheels as seen above. So maybe we can conclude the car was sold to Mayo with the Keystones. Paul Mayo had the car after Dick Griffin who purchased it from Jack Troxell. The below picture is the only Mayo picture with Keystones that I know of. Note front fender script "ITS A 455" that disappears briefly with Paul Mayo and reappears again.

Below: Paul Mayo ran a variety of wheels on the car but quickly shed the Keystones. Also seen here is the fish scale paint.

After selling the three Troxell built Olds above Troxell built this 72 Cutlass below also seen with Keystones in this early shot. He seems to have raced this car for some time and used different wheels later on. This makes the fourth Troxell built Olds with Keystones.

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
You're quite welcome brother

Anyone have any info on this one?

Go Shop with dial in on back passenger door glass and no record holder info on back rear glass

No dial-in with record holder info on back rear glass

Looks like Keystone Classics? on the rear in the upper pic and Centerlines? on the rear of the lower? And aren't those Motor/Wheel rims on the front? Speaking of Motor/Wheel, does anyone have any info on this patch? Approximate era? It is about 1" tall by about 4 1/2" wide.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 28th, 2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Old School Olds

Scot, thanks for posting. I haven't seen that movie in years.
Watched the whole durn thing, ha ha. The California kid is up next.
Old January 28th, 2015, 07:15 AM

The Motor Wheel Spiders were introduced in 1970. Man were they heavy too! Motor Wheel was only building them in 6" width X15 for front and up to 8"X15 rear. Most of us stockers ran the 6" rears as the max. rear tire width was 7". You could lower the air down to 6 #s and get a really good "foot print", however the car really got squirrelly on "the big end". Super Stockers ran the 7" or 8" on the rear. If I remember right the Spyders were just a stop gap till the Flys were being approved by NHRA and IHRA. The Spyders weighted about 22+ # s more than the Flys (that is 88# s or about 1 tenth in ET). The reason you see the Spyders on the front of wagons as they were the only rim rated over 4000 # s. Cragar and Center Line did not have any front wheel rated even close to what the Spyders or Flys were. The Flys were machined two piece wheel design with some form of plastic (I use to know but cannot remember) to stiffen the wheel from flexing and at the same time making them the lightest and strongest wheels on the market. They even produced the lug nuts and washers from Magnesium to make them the lightest!

Besides supplying me with wheels till the late 70s they also paid for all of my uniforms for myself, wife, and two crew members. At one time one of my shirts was displayed as part of the Motor Wheel display at the R. E. Olds Museum!

Most people do not know that Motor Wheel was owned by Goodyear Corp. Don't remember when that occurred. It must have been mid to late 70 s as when I got uniform replacements the receipt said Goodyear Corp. and besides the Motor Wheel logo patch above the LH pocket there was a Goodyear patch over the RH pocket.

Motor Wheel/Goodyear was very good to me as a sponsor. An example was in 1975 at the IHRA Summer Nationals in Rockingham I went out the first round of Stock Eliminator ( I went .01 under the E/S record). The rep for Motor Wheel came over to the car and gave me a $50 bill and said "you always have supported our product, handing out brochures, and telling people how good our wheels are. Here is some gas money to get home". Man those were the days!

I'll see if I can dig out some pictures and post them.

Last edited by davebw31; January 28th, 2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:13 AM

I thought of you when the subject of Spyder wheels came up and was hoping you would chime in . I remember further back in the thread you said they were heavy and I remember you ran them on your former white 68 which was a former Smothers Brother coupe. Great information.

Originally Posted by davebw31
The Motor Wheel Spiders were introduced in 1970. Man were they heavy too! Motor Wheel was only building them in 6" width X15 for front and up to 8"X15 rear. Most of us stockers ran the 6" rears as the max. rear tire width was 7". You could lower the air down to 6 #s and get a really good "foot print", however the car really got squirrelly on "the big end". Super Stockers ran the 7" or 8" on the rear. If I remember right the Spyders were just a stop gap till the Flys were being approved by NHRA and IHRA. The Spyders weighted about 22+ # s more than the Flys (that is 88# s or about 1 tenth in ET). The reason you see the Spyders on the front of wagons as they were the only rim rated over 4000 # s. Cragar and Center Line did not have any front wheel rated even close to what the Spyders were. The Flys were machined two piece wheel design with some form of plastic (I use to know but cannot remember) to stiffen the wheel from flexing and at the same time making them the lightest and strongest wheels on the market. They even produced the lug nuts and washers from Magnesium to make them the lightest!

Besides supplying me with wheels till the late 70s they also paid for all of my uniforms for myself, wife, and two crew members. At one time one of my shirts was displayed as part of the Motor Wheel display at the R. E. Olds Museum!

Most people do not know that Motor Wheel was owned by Goodyear Corp. Don't remember when that occurred. It must have been mid to late 70 as when I got uniform replacements the receipt said Goodyear Corp. and besides the Motor Wheel logo patch above the LH pocket there was a Goodyear patch over the RH pocket.

Motor Wheel/Goodyear was very good to me as a sponsor. An example was in 1975 at the IHRA Summer Nationals in Rockingham I went out the first round of Stock Eliminator ( I went .01 under the E/S record). The rep for Motor Wheel came over to the car and gave me a $50 bill and said "you always have supported our product, handing out brochures, and telling people how good our wheels are. Here is some gas money to get home". Man those were the days!

I'll see if I can dig out some pictures and post them.
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:40 AM

Well having trouble with down loading pictures from my camera.

If anyone is interested I have a pair of very rare (only 4 sets made) Motor Wheel Spyers, 10X15, 4.75 bolt circle (fit any GM A-body) made out of solid Magnesium (yes Magnesium). They have 12X15 M&H soft compound Drag tires with tread (made for the one year only rule change for stock in 1971). The tires are screwed to the rim, 6 screw outside and 6 inside of each wheel. Otherwise in perfect shape! I think I even still have the lug nuts and special washers for them and are included. These tires would really look cool on a nostalgia dragster, altered, or gasser.

$800.00 +shipping

Last edited by davebw31; January 28th, 2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:37 PM

I wish I didn't have engine parts at the machine shop otherwise I would buy those wheels in a heartbeat.
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Well, I just turned 71 and am still on the right side of the grass. This will be my 52nd year doing this silly stuff; for some reason I just keep coming back. Take good car of your Pop.

Email me wship@msn.com and I'll send you some pictures. One of these days some six-year- old will teach me now to post pics on this site.
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:10 PM

This picture is front of shirt
Attached Images
DSCN1391.jpg (43.5 KB, 40 views)
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:12 PM

Rear of Shirt
Attached Images
DSCN1392.jpg (36.2 KB, 38 views)
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:15 PM

Jacket front and rear same as shirt
Attached Images
DSCN1393.jpg (37.6 KB, 36 views)
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:22 PM

Smothers Bros. Jacket - Front NOTE: Just above "Drag Racing Team" there was a "Smothers Brothers" patch with red letters and white back ground. After their network nixed their participation with Olds racing I had to remove the patch per Dale Smith. You can make out the outline of the patch I removed. I then put my name there.
Attached Images
DSCN1394.jpg (54.9 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by davebw31; January 28th, 2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:25 PM

Smothers Bros. Jacket - Rear

All the lettering was done in "flocked felt" which at the time was very expensive to do. Pretty cool huh!
Attached Images
DSCN1395.jpg (44.4 KB, 37 views)
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:43 PM

Picture taken at Bradenton, Florida showing the new alumn. Flys on front and the 10X15 magnesium Syders on rear. Picture on right was taken at Orlando Speed World with the heavy Syders front and rear.
Attached Images
DSCN1104.jpg (43.8 KB, 298 views)
DSCN1101 (640x480).jpg (183.4 KB, 301 views)
Old January 29th, 2015, 04:04 AM

Cool stuff Dave!!! Keep sharing PLEASE!!! And to Wayne, a Very Happy belated Birthday!!!
Wayne, I know I struggle getting the pics to show up here.....kinda like evolution....there MUST be a missing link!!!
Old January 29th, 2015, 04:10 AM

Is the jacket for sale?

Smothers Bros. Jacket - Front NOTE: Just above "Drag Racing Team" there was a "Smothers Brothers" patch with red letters and white back ground. After their network nixed their participation with Olds racing I had to remove the patch per Dale Smith. You can make out the outline of the patch I removed. I then put my name there.
Old January 29th, 2015, 04:11 AM

And you did say this was a former Smother's Brothers Car?

Picture taken at Bradenton, Florida showing the new alumn. Flys on front and the 10X15 magnesium Syders on rear. Picture on right was taken at Orlando Speed World with the heavy Syders front and rear.
Old January 29th, 2015, 04:15 AM

Weren't Hot Rod and California Kid both ABC made for TV movies? Also would like to see MGM's Corky with Robert Blake driving that custom Barracuda. I wish he would of had a cooler car in Baretta.

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Scot, thanks for posting. I haven't seen that movie in years.
Watched the whole durn thing, ha ha. The California kid is up next.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 29th, 2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:40 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Way cool jackets and shirts Dave! That Motor/Wheel patch looks the exact same as mine About what year(s) would this patch be from?

Sure wish I could spare the $800, I'd sure swipe them rims up in a minute!
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:28 PM

vistacruiser67: NO, jacket not for sale.

GAOldsman: My guess on the patch is 70 or early 71, as that is when Motor Wheel started as a sponsor. I did not get sponsorship till 1973. Besides the patch they also had decals you put on the car that looked the same as the patch.

BTW: I wish you had the $$$ too! Getting ready to post Ad on Racing Junk and the price will then be $1,000.00 + shipping, as soon as I get my camera working right. Was trying to offer Olds community a chance first!

BTW2: I know who the four sets went too as I was pretty tight with Motor Wheel. They went to high horsepower and/or higher class record holding cars. I got one set E/S, Trueman Fields Ram Air II 400 Pontaic Firebird C/S, a Mopar A-12 440 6 pack C/SA, and a 428 Super Cobra Jet Mustang (don't remember the class).

Last edited by davebw31; January 29th, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:22 PM

I have spent the last couple of hours going through these photo's and they are great. I was very suprised and excitied to see the '65 Rountree Olds 442, #148 pg. 4, I was around that car a lot at that time. During '65 and '66, every dealer in the Shreveport area had a car in either B or C stock, every weekend was war at our local track called "Ol Gator Raceway", a 1000 foot strip. I was a Junior in High school and had a 56 Nomad that I was racing during these times. I remember like yesterday that around Thanksgiving in '65 we were sitting in the highschool parking lot before school and suddenly we heard this huge noise coming down the street. Our classmate named Marty Groggan, had just bought that Olds and he drove it to school, open headers, lettered up and with the slicks on it. It was so cool, he drove it a lot but finally had to cap the exhaust and put on street tires. Marty just passed away in 2014 but was very active in Drag racing and Oldsmobiles in particular. The next year, Rountrees had a "66 W30 they ran very successfully, Johnny Penick was the builder/driver and the Service manager at the dealership. There was another Trac Pac W30 [Allen Pomeroe] and there were two other L69 cars that ran very strong also, the battles with the 396 Chevelles were classics. Our local strip closed the next year so all the racing vanished but it was a great time for muscle cars then.

Last edited by JohnCobb; January 31st, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 31st, 2015, 12:07 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Davebw31 thank you for the info and could you send pics of the wheels to scot1@windstream dot net ?

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile Race Cars