Blower motor resistor

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Blower motor resistor

I am looking for a blower motor resistor for a 69 442 with AC. I have tried rockauto, napa and fusick. Fusick only has one for a non ac car, does anybody know what the difference is?. Any help appreciated. Pic shows what connector looks like(if thats the right one).
Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0011.jpg (32.1 KB, 53 views)
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Rob, try 2blu442 - he might just have one!
-Rob (the other Rob...)
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This it?

- Eric

edit: Ha ha! I just looked at the price on that eBay page. $400
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
It looks like it's GM part # 3949920, and should be the same for a wide range of models.
This guy's site says he's got one, but shows no price.
My advice would be to get one at a junk yard. I could pick you up one when I go to my local yard in a month or 2 if you'd like - probably about $5.
Attached Images

Last edited by MDchanic; February 8th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This it?

- Eric

edit: Ha ha! I just looked at the price on that eBay page. $400
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
It looks like it's GM part # 3949920, and should be the same for a wide range of models.
This guy's site says he's got one, but shows no price.
My advice would be to get one at a junk yard. I could pick you up one when I go to my local yard in a month or 2 if you'd like - probably about $5.
I saw that one too. Id rather go without heat than pay that much! Also pin config looks alittle different, but I guess I could remove wires from connector if I had to. Thanks for your offer Ill let you know if i cant find one.
Rob
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM

With the popularity of these cars, i am very surprised that they are not reproed.
Hopefully soon!
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Here's someone that sells them although at $49.99 they are expensive. Yours is a 68 to early 69 version.
http://thepartguy.com/acbox-a.htm I don't know anything about this company but I did see they offered them. I would also call Classic Auto Air and see what they have as I see they have a lot of these resistors NOS but they only list them by the GM part number. Also, you need to be careful with other styles as the resistance may be different. I have one that has all the pins pointing in the same direction and checked it against my 69 (same style as what you need) and the resistance was different.
Brian
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Here's someone that sells them although at $49.99 they are expensive. Yours is a 68 to early 69 version.
http://thepartguy.com/acbox-a.htm I don't know anything about this company but I did see they offered them. I would also call Classic Auto Air and see what they have as I see they have a lot of these resistors NOS but they only list them by the GM part number. Also, you need to be careful with other styles as the resistance may be different. I have one that has all the pins pointing in the same direction and checked it against my 69 (same style as what you need) and the resistance was different.
Brian
Thanks for the leads, I will make some calls tommorow, will also try brothers. Also can you help me figure out where these wires go on the relay. The plug is missing so I have no clue. There is a thick purple or red wire which goes to the blower. There is a blue and a black w/orange and another from horn relay
Thanks again, Rob
Attached Images
PICT0026.jpg (36.1 KB, 28 views)
PICT0020.jpg (72.9 KB, 30 views)
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Rob,
Give me until a little later today and I will post a photo to show where those wires go. You are also missing another wire that goes to the blower relay. The wire you don't show has a fuse in it and it connects to the horn relay which is where the power for the blower motor originates. I will check an old AC harness I have as I may be able to cut off a section that has the wires and connectors for what you show in your photo and I may have 1/2 of the wire that goes to the horn relay. If I have that 1/2, it will give you the plug for the blower relay and you can fabricate the rest of it using a fused connector you can buy at any auto parts store. Or, maybe I have the second half still attached to the horn relay and related wires. I'll let you know.
Brian
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Rob,
Here are 2 photos. One shows all the wires related to the blower relay and you will see the extra wire that runs to the horn relay. I did have both halves of the wire so what you see if what I have. The second photo is a close up of the plug so you can see which wires go where. If you want the wires off of the harness I have, figure $10 plus shipping. I can cut them from the harness and give you about 6" so you would have plenty to splice onto your harness. The AC harness I have is not complete so cutting it for parts is all it's worth.

Brian
Attached Images
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Rob,
Here are 2 photos. One shows all the wires related to the blower relay and you will see the extra wire that runs to the horn relay. I did have both halves of the wire so what you see if what I have. The second photo is a close up of the plug so you can see which wires go where. If you want the wires off of the harness I have, figure $10 plus shipping. I can cut them from the harness and give you about 6" so you would have plenty to splice onto your harness. The AC harness I have is not complete so cutting it for parts is all it's worth.

Brian
Brian, Yes, thats perfect I will take it. I have a paypal account or can send check or MO. Thanks
Rob
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM

And remember when splicing, use quality electronics grade solder with rosin flux and then apply heatshrink tubing over the splices for insulation.
OPG has the non adhesive rubber wire wrap if you wish to go that far...
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
And remember when splicing, use quality electronics grade solder with rosin flux and then apply heatshrink tubing over the splices for insulation.
OPG has the non adhesive rubber wire wrap if you wish to go that far...
Absolutely, I already have both ready to go. I PM 2blu442 and he said he might just have one and will get back to me.
Thanks, Rob
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Hey Rob, if I'm not too late I can really make your day. I thought I had one of the blower resistors but couldn't put my hands on it yesterday. However, I was just getting a part and saw the box that had some of my AC stuff in it. Sure enough, I have the blower resistor, actually 3 of them. If you want it let me know. $10.00. Call it $25 for the wiring, the resistor and USPS. I'll send you a PM with my info.
Brian
Attached Images
69 442 Blower Resistor 001.jpg (44.3 KB, 42 views)
69 442 Blower Resistor 002.jpg (47.1 KB, 44 views)