Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

High-end cam and solid lifters for 394 Olds (cost me $1,400!)

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2015, 06:34 PM

High-end cam and solid lifters for 394 Olds (cost me $1,400!)

Selling off some of the last of my 394 Olds parts. The ONLY reason I am selling these here is because I am no longer building things. Otherwise, I would be using these!
Here's a cam/lifter set that cost me nearly $1,400 quite a few years ago (selling for $1,000 less than that now).
This is HIGH DOLLAR stuff I'm offering for a fraction of the $1,400 I paid (and which would cost a bunch more today). I do not believe you can go wrong with this setup!

If you want a high-end solid cam/lifter setup for 394 Olds for way less than it would otherwise cost you, read on (but I warn you... it gets long-winded here so I can give you all the details)
Here's the details:

LIFTERS: The lifters are Schubeck one-piece lightweight flat tappet lifters. This is the style that the Super Stock racers raved about, not the other Schubeck designs that apparently had some issues. These are the good ones. No glued-on cap to come unglued, just one lightweight piece. No radiused bottom that couldn't take side-loading, just simple flat tappet. The light weight reduces the possibility of valve float. I very carefully chose this style after having read all I could find on the subject, as this was what the Super Stock racers were successfully using without any reported failures on this style of lifter. Schubeck went out of business, but it looks like these lifters are now made by this SM:
http://fbo-uk.com/schubeck_design_composite_lifter.htm
Prices that they now quote are at $995 for the "super lite solid tall" lifters...and that is for Chevy lifters, not special-order .921" Olds!
When I bought these, the price on chevy lifters was $700. But I custom ordered the Olds .921" size, with 4 extra lifters (a total of 20 lifters, not 16)... and cost me $1,100 years ago (who knows what the cost would be on that now... definitely way over a grand now just on the lifters alone). Additional note... manufacturer sent me 5 lifters that are about .100 shorter... should be zero issue at all, as the distance from the face to the pushrod is the same for all... it was a small issue that's actually a complete non-issue. Just mentioning that small detail, as I should.

CAM: the cam is a new unfinished cast iron cam blank that a cam grinder had made a production run on. I do not even know if you can get these anymore. The only thing that needs finishing is the lobes... everything else is machined. You can grind whatever lobe profile you want on them. The manufacturer told me that the material is a better cast iron than factory GM ever used. They also told me that there is extra material on the lobes so a more aggressive grind can be obtained than could be by regrinding a used 394 cam (that is also softer). My plan was to have a custom profile designed to take full advantage of the large .921" diameter (larger diameter allows for a more aggressive ramp), but you can go with something based on the .904 Mopar lifter, or even the .842 Chevy lifter if you like. You can grind either a solid or hydraulic flat-tappet grind with this unfinished cam. My cost was a good $300 for the blank if I recall right. And again, who knows if these blanks are even available any more.

Small amount of rust needs to be dealt with. Most lifter pushrod seats have no rust (pushrod seats only, as the rest of the lifter is a type of super hard ceramic or carbide-style high-tech material). A few seats have a small amount of rust. One lifter has more, but there are 20 lifters total so should be no problem. Cam may have a little rust as well, but your cam grinder will clean and polish when they grind... so another complete non-issue.

Selling the cam and lifters together for $395... $1,000 less than I paid quite a few years ago. If you are building a HOT 394 Olds engine, you might want to grab this deal...

If interested in purchasing, please e-mail me direct at blown394olds@yahoo.com