Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Hmmm Twin Turbo Set Up on Epay, Not mine.

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:27 AM

Hmmm Twin Turbo Set Up on Epay, Not mine.

Now this isn't mine but I was surfing a little Epay today and saw this custom made twin turbo set up. Very interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...item2a49e87bcb
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Yes it is.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Possibly the only Olds manifolds I've ever seen that flow WORSE than the ones on roller-cam 307s.

I can't say that the design of those manifolds gives me any confidence on the design quality of the rest of the "system".
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:03 PM

"
Hello Everyone, I have a custom made twin turbo setup by Mark Burton. His link can be found under google by searching Burton Machine > Feedback (section of his website)

A majority of the twin turbo setup has been professionally ceramic coated by Powder Barrons in Delaware. This setup I believe includes springs for 7psi per turbo. This will allow a mostly stock Oldsmobile 455 engine (with lowered compression ratio) to produce about 600-700 horsepower. This setup includes headers (2), waste gates (2), T4 Garret turbos (2), center bonnet, two pipes which go from the bonnet to the turbos, and multiple gaskets, bolts and accessories. This setup is complete for the most part. I am not sure what else is necessary to have this setup work with your car, but this is most of what you would need to have a twin turbocharged engine. These parts are all new and never used, may have very slight surface rust in small crevices.

With this turbo setup, I was told if you change the springs which are used in this setup to much stronger springs, you can change the turbo output to about 12/14psi and can produce over 1000 horsepower!

I am selling this setup because I can no longer afford to build the engine I would like. I will post many other Oldsmobile 455 parts soon, especially the ideal camshaft, pistons & crankshaft, gaskets, intake manifold, and cylinder heads. With a combination of the camshaft, pistons and crankshaft, you can make an Oldsmobile engine have approximately 8.5-9.0 air:fuel ratio which would be best for this setup. I will also sell many other parts fairly soon that are built to handle this setup.

Thank you for looking, please feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Note: I am missing one allen screw on the wastegate (can be seen on photo #3). I will let the buyer know if I have found this allen screw, if not it should be fairly easy to find a replacement screw."
======================================

"you can make an Oldsmobile engine have approximately 8.5-9.0 air:fuel ratio which would be best for this setup."

Not to be confused with the COMPRESSION RATO
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ebay
Hello Everyone, I have a custom made twin turbo setup by Mark Burton. His link can be found under google by searching Burton Machine > Feedback (section of his website)
Originally Posted by Burton Machine > Feedback
This is the 455 twin turbo Camaro several will recall from YouTube. It runs 11.6’s at 125mph and weighs 4200lbs. With a better launch, it should go in the high 10’s.
All that and the car only runs mid-11s? Not exactly a resounding endorsement. For comparison, I got the same times in a 71 Cutlass with a mild 455 and a cheap bolt-on nitrous plate. That car had 3.42 gears and the 60 ft times were so bad you could measure them with a calendar.

Granted, the 11.6 @ 125 above indicates that the times should come down with a good launch.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Burton Machine > Feedback
This is the 455 twin turbo Camaro several will recall from YouTube. It runs 11.6’s at 125mph and weighs 4200lbs. With a better launch, it should go in the high 10’s.

I'm wondering how any Camaro could possibly weigh that much??????
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
Senior Moment Member

Back seat driver?
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:57 PM
Administrator

My mother in law was in the passenger seat.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:38 PM
wait.... what....

Someone on here or ROP had used i believe Toronado manifolds that looked like a way better design than these manifolds
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
My mother in law was in the passenger seat.
HaHa ........... or mine. Funny side note. My wife is 5'5", 120 lbs. Her mom is 5'9", 250 easy, and her sis is over 300. Glad mine got the good genes.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:33 PM

"I'm wondering how any Camaro could possibly weigh that much?????"

2nd gen 70-81 are pigs. 70-73 or so I don't think are too bad, but the later ones are HEAVY.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:50 PM

Randy, as my boss is wont to say
"You can only have one wife... might as well get a big one!"

His wife does not find that nearly as amusing.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:48 PM

I have mulled this type of modification. One winning lotto ticket away from it being a reality....
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:15 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

Looks like a cheap setup with turbulent manifolds.
Run...
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:12 AM

Extra back pressure between the engine and turbo is a good thing on a turbocharged engine but I think they misunderstood this and put the backpressure between the manifold and the engine, lol.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Extra back pressure between the engine and turbo is a good thing on a turbocharged engine but I think they misunderstood this and put the backpressure between the manifold and the engine, lol.
The whole point of a turbo setup is to get as much of the exhaust energy into the turbine as possible. High-end turbo setups have smooth, equal length headers, not crappy square sheet metal manifolds. Gas dynamics applies to turbo motors the same as it applies to NA motors.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The whole point of a turbo setup is to get as much of the exhaust energy into the turbine as possible. High-end turbo setups have smooth, equal length headers, not crappy square sheet metal manifolds. Gas dynamics applies to turbo motors the same as it applies to NA motors.
I understand that, It was my poor attempt at poking fun at the manifolds. A turbo engine has much more back pressure between the turbo and the engine and that is a must (but also side affect) for turbocharged engines. Obviously after the turbo you want the least amount of back pressure possible.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I understand that, It was my poor attempt at poking fun at the manifolds.
No, I got that, but to your point, the backpressure should come from the turbine itself, not the plumbing between the combustion chamber and the turbine. Any additional backpressure is just pumping loss.