Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Parting out 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible.

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:54 PM

Parting out 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible.

Time to let her go. No time for a rebuild so taking some of the parts (engine, console, dash pad, probably doors for reference and spares) but the rest will go eventually. frame is shot (bent but not rusty.. body shop says its repairable with a frame straightening jig, but at what cost?) due to accident last year missing a deer. hood, core support, passenger side fender gone. engine stays with me but th350 and O-type rear can go. It's heavy though.

Haven't started the tear down process yet so want to gauge interest before doing so. There is interest in the rear clip, which was grafted from midway down the rear fender back. Trunk is mint but don't know what's under the paint under the rear lower panels... my hardtop was swiss cheese under the bondo!! I'll strip the paint when I have time to verify if it's good metal or more bondo if there is serious interest. I can take pics and send them via email/pm if need be.

'vert top mechanism, hydraulics work perfectly. I refurbished everything when I bought her in 2004. Interior is very nice but not perfect. Drivers and passenger seat need recovering and foam, which I have from Fusicks here in CT if there is a need. I chose the 72 white rather than the 71, so purists may not be interested. The rear seat is like new but somewhat discolored.

I spent a lot of time upgrading and making the car as close to perfect as possible. Some resto mod stuff like wilwood D52 calipers and pads. Lot's of good parts for someone doing a '71 or '72 vert resto.

Anyone interested can post here or PM me. Be patient.. post notifications don't always seem to make it to my email address via the forum.
I'm not into shipping so everything will be local pickup. Home is northeast Connecticut, equidistant between hartford, providence ri, and worcester, ma.

Thanks.
kk
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:27 PM

Well....local pick up will limit your potential customers. Let me know if you entertain shipping.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:37 PM

If you're equidistant between those places, you are probably in Pomfret, Putnam, or Woodstock. Used to go to high school up there.

I have a friend who would definitely want that mint trunk lid, but we'd have to ship it.

Let me know if it can be done. He may want other stuff too, but that also would be shipped.
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:54 PM

I'd be interested in the rear quarters, hydraulics, calipers and pads if shipping is an option. Might no be able to afford it all but definitely need some of it.
Old September 26th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
Well....local pick up will limit your potential customers. Let me know if you entertain shipping.
Perhaps on the smaller parts I'd be willing to accomodate a fellow olds enthusiast. We'll take it on a part by part basis.

Old September 26th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
If you're equidistant between those places, you are probably in Pomfret, Putnam, or Woodstock. Used to go to high school up there.

I have a friend who would definitely want that mint trunk lid, but we'd have to ship it.

Let me know if it can be done. He may want other stuff too, but that also would be shipped.
Very Good Koda. I live in Canterbury, about 15 miles south of Putnam.

As mentioned, not much at packing and shipping but I'll see what I can do. Where is your friend located?
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:05 AM

Question

Originally Posted by GreazyAnt
I'd be interested in the rear quarters, hydraulics, calipers and pads if shipping is an option. Might no be able to afford it all but definitely need some of it.
I have some interest in the whole body sans doors, interior and front clip. He's interested in the trunk/rear quarter section mainly for his project since his is swiss cheese. If he has no interest in the 'vert stuff or changes his mind, I'll let you know but you being in Dallas may make getting these parts to you difficult. He's in ohio or somewhere out there. 12 hour drive not bad for him.

This is probably going to take a long time since we olds enthusiasts are somewhat of a minority but I plan on starting to strip the car down this weekend. I need to start making space for the winter so I can continue work on the 442 project.

I have some pics and can post here (i think) once i resize them. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will do so.
Thanks for the interest GeazyAnt
kk
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:58 PM

hope to see you soon buddy,

Thanks,

STeve
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM

For all of you showing interest, thank you for your time.

Here are some pics of the way the car sits now in my garage. I'll post a few at a time so as not to exceed the maximum mb of upload picture files

If you need a pic of a specific part, let me know and I will try to accomodate you.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0893.jpg (56.3 KB, 265 views)
IMG_0894.jpg (50.1 KB, 231 views)
IMG_0889.jpg (61.5 KB, 230 views)
IMG_0895.jpg (79.7 KB, 226 views)
IMG_0899.jpg (69.4 KB, 209 views)
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM

PM sent

Last edited by oldsmobilty; September 26th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old September 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM

a few more pics guys. I will get to all of your PM's asap. Sorry for the delay.

btw: picture with my finger pointing shows the seam (kinda) where the rear clip was grafted to the main car. almost impossible to see if you're not looking for it.
I've owned the car for 12 years and just noticed the seam a couple of years ago in the sun light. Trunk looks like it's new. I only stripped down the trunk area and hit it with splatter paint. Spare came with car. Subwoofer/amp will go away. Never could hear it, only "feel" it.

There is a custom auto sound head unit with remote cd player mounted to the rear floor. It works well but the display occasionally goes to 1 so you have to feel your way to find the track you want on the cd.. a day later, it works. Have no idea why it happens... no time to troubleshoot. It's available also.

fyi: I have the protectoplate but not the build sheet. One pm asked if the whole car is for sale. wasn't planning on it, but maybe... well, most of it. was going to take only the console, steering wheel and dash pad, wheels (their 15's, not correct for the car but ride much better) and the doors for spares for my 442 project since the sheet metal is damaged beyond a reasonable repair, but it sure would simplify things if someone would take the whole car on a trailer. Not sure how I'm going to do this yet. I was planning on using the gauges and dash harness since my hardtops' is pretty beat up and the 'verts is like new. On the other hand, Perhaps someone has a good frame, core support, fenders, doors and a hood from a donor car. (I also have a louvred hood from the hardtop that is in nice condition.. using an aftermarket scooped hood so don't need it) it would be simpler than parting the car out. Response is somewhat overwhelming, but glad to have the interest.

As I mentioned, this would be easier if buyers were local or have family/friends in the area to pick up their purchases, cash in hand, but I will do my best to accomodate those who are in need of specific parts and only have the shipping option. I have reconnected with a friend who knows the value of these car/parts better than me and will be relying on him for pricing, so everyone, please bare with me and be patient. I'll have to crunch some numbers after he sees the car and come up with a fair asking price for almost the whole car as well as parting the car out.

I will try to get the car in the sun and drop the top for better pics if there is interest. Going to be nice here in New England this weekend so don't mind the outside work. Let me know if there is a need for these pics, and specify any others that will help to clarify the condition of the car. I was going to start stripping the car down this weekend but perhaps I will hold off to get a feel for the interest for the whole car as a package deal. Parting out may be more profitable, but a whole lot of time consuming work. But may be worth it.

Your patience would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
IMG_0891.jpg (47.3 KB, 150 views)
IMG_0895.jpg (79.7 KB, 123 views)
IMG_0896.jpg (69.5 KB, 122 views)
IMG_0897.jpg (75.8 KB, 115 views)
IMG_0898.jpg (70.6 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by 442KoneKilr; September 29th, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Ok guys. I have made the decision to part out the car and live with the hassle. I have a partial price list for most of the big stuff. I will post here and reference this list in my return PM's to all those interested. I will do my best to keep a first come, first serve, first refusal structure to keep it fair.

Here's what I have so far after talking to my olds guru (he's a forum member, w31stick I believe) He has been dealing with these parts for well over 30 years and I trust his value estimates to be fair and accurate

Front Bucket seats: pair $600

rear bench seat, upper and lower: $300

rear door panels: $200

Front door panels: $200

Trunk lid (I understand these are different from the hardtop) $300

Rust free fully functional covertible top frame, motor, lines, cylinders: $600
I would prefer to sell this as a unit.

There are many smaller parts that I will be aware of as I disassemble the car. If anyone has a need for something specific, let me know and I'll verify if it is available, or it has been sold, or I decided to keep it for my project. i.e. console, dash pad, doors, etc.

I will give local buyers preference unless first inquirers can pickup. Smaller parts like door panels I can handle no problem. Seats, trunk lid and similar are more of a hassle so recommendations on how to ship would be appreciated. Payment details will be worked out once a price is agreed upon.

I plan on connecting the battery to the wiring harness today and get vid/pics of the vert top in operation so their is no question it is a working unit. I will take more detailed pics of the car in the sunlight, which we seem to have plenty of today here in CT.

Again, thank you all for your interest. I will do my best to make all forum members happy with their purchases. I know what it's like to want/need parts for a project. And clean cars like this don't show up very often, especially here in the rustbelt.

BTW: I attached a few pics of what she looked like when I completed the partial resto/refurb back in 2006. The car had the stock 350 in it then, but at crash time, it had a built 468. The girl in the picture is my youngest daughter. She was 14 then. She's 22 now. Dang! where does the time go??!!

ATB
Attached Images
cutlass resto oct 06.jpg (76.3 KB, 174 views)
postresto1.jpg (84.6 KB, 161 views)
postresto2006.jpg (94.0 KB, 163 views)
postrestowith2005.jpg (62.8 KB, 166 views)
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:22 PM

Several more pics with top down. More detail on the interior.
Notice the rear view mirror? It has a working map light. Specific to the 'verts only. I may try to swap it into my project if no one is interested.

btw: I have a full set of front seat covers from Fusick here in CT. Can't remember what I paid for them but I will sell them for less than new from Fusick since I have no need for them. I didn't like the repro color for the 71 model year, so I opted for the bright white of the 72 model year. If interested, let me know. I also have the white seat backs, new from either OPG or Fusick. Same deal as the seat covers.
Attached Images
IMG_0919.jpg (75.6 KB, 107 views)
IMG_0922.jpg (53.4 KB, 110 views)
IMG_0923.jpg (48.8 KB, 105 views)
IMG_0928.jpg (45.0 KB, 103 views)
IMG_0931.jpg (56.9 KB, 103 views)
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:28 PM

a few more pics
Attached Images
IMG_0926.jpg (50.0 KB, 107 views)
IMG_0930.jpg (56.5 KB, 104 views)
IMG_0932.jpg (41.9 KB, 105 views)
IMG_0937.jpg (79.3 KB, 138 views)
IMG_0936.jpg (53.2 KB, 114 views)
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Gus, my pal is in Decatur IL and would be very interested in that decklid.

Let me email him and he can negotiate direct for you with shipping.
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:12 AM

After looking at those pictures, it sucks to have to part that car out.
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 71OldsCool
After looking at those pictures, it sucks to have to part that car out.
Agreed!.. after 12 years of ownership, lots of $, countless manhours to restore, maintain and modify and some great memories with friends and family, including oldsmobile club meets and shows, it kills me to do this. I waited 14 months, thinking I could find the time to bring her back, but reality has set in. As a fellow olds nut/friend told me, "her essence will live on with the parts donated to your hardtop project"

Attached a few pics of the result of missing the deer. Hate those things.
Still hurts to look at them...
Fortunately, most of the car is undamaged so good for parts for my hardtop project and those in need.

Thanks for the sentiment.
Attached Images
Front view.jpg (77.5 KB, 229 views)
hood closed.jpg (71.7 KB, 239 views)
hood open passenger side.jpg (51.4 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by 442KoneKilr; September 29th, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Gus, my pal is in Decatur IL and would be very interested in that decklid.

Let me email him and he can negotiate direct for you with shipping.
pm sent. Thanks Koda
Old September 29th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Didn't get it. I'll send you one.
Old September 29th, 2014, 03:46 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ive seen worse come back straight. Once you strip off the dog house Ill bet it looks a whole lot better. A talented frame shop will pull the frame straight. Much of that looks like sheet metal. The fact that the windshield isnt cracked is a plus. Does the windshield look square where the top clamps? Id sell it whole vs parting it. It can be saved...JMO
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:34 PM

PM sent...
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:41 PM

Didn't get it. I'll send you one.
My pm to you got kicked back with an error. Was on the forums end, not sure what happened but got your pm and have responded
thanks
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Got this one, email forwarded to friend. Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Rodney

KK:
I got a lump in my throat when I saw the "crunched" pics of your car; just broke my heart to see such a fine car in that condition. If you decide to go forward with the parting, I'm interested in the back seat, arm rests and door panels and maybe the top and hydraulics (I know there's someone in front of me). Is the interior color white or pearl? Would need to ship them to Texas 77057. Thanks!
Rodney
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:35 PM

If you would please pm me with a phone number so we can work out the details on seats , trunk lid and interior panels and get the shipping part lined out so I can send you some money .
Thank you David
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
KK:
I got a lump in my throat when I saw the "crunched" pics of your car; just broke my heart to see such a fine car in that condition. If you decide to go forward with the parting, I'm interested in the back seat, arm rests and door panels and maybe the top and hydraulics (I know there's someone in front of me). Is the interior color white or pearl? Would need to ship them to Texas 77057. Thanks!
Rodney
Hi Rodney,
Thanks for your kind words. Lots of nice folks here feeling my pain. Glad I came here let her go. Once I found out my passengers weren't hurt, I struggled to keep from watery eyes. My daughter made every attempt to make me feel better, saying "Dad, it's only Aesthetic!! Really! she'll be fine!"
Well, it was a bit worse than that, but she was 15 when I bought her (she just turned 26) so she knows how much it hurt me to see her smashed like that.

Yup, parting her out. Gotta make room for my hardtop project and I need the $ too (still recovering from my oldest daughters wedding in May!)

seats already spoken for by a local enthusiast. He's in hartford and is happy to get them for his '71. Coming this weekend to pick them up. Gotta go with locals on this one guys. Dang buckets are HEAVY!

door panels are the original pearl. Shipping should be fairly inexpensive to texas since they are light but a bit large.

btw: I have replacement seat covers from Fusick but I liked the white better than the repro pearl, so have them at somewhat less than new if there's an interest. Have new Seat backs also in white, same deal as the seat covers. I'll give a price if there's an expressed interest. I can't remember what I paid so will have to go their website for a memory jog.

You're the first serious inquiry (i think, forgive me if someone else already asked) for armrests and door panels. Duly noted. Someone else was interested in the hydraulics. You're after him, if I can remember who. Bad thing about pm'ing with the forum is it doesn't keep track of "sent" messages, like gmail. I'm not organized enough so rely on looking at the sent box constantly. So I urge everyone who is serious about getting the parts they would like and to keep it fair as in first come, first served, first refusal, please don't rely on the PM's.
Use my gmail address as indicated in previous posts. I've already lost one from Koda, and maybe a couple more so forgive me if I've let someone fall through the cracks.

Those of you who prefer pm's, I'll do my best to keep them in order and respond in a timely manner.

as you can see from my most recent pics, the top comes down, but do you know I didn't muscle it? I took a vid! If anyone wants to see it, I'll post on my youtube channel. Thing works like a charm. Stayed down all season, only took it out when there was little chance of rain, then up for the winter. Honest!

I'm getting typers cramp! Sheesh.
Let me know how you'd like to proceed Rodney. 442konekilr@gmail.com
Thanks for you interest, and again, for the sentiments.
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by my72olds
If you would please pm me with a phone number so we can work out the details on seats , trunk lid and interior panels and get the shipping part lined out so I can send you some money .
Thank you David
working on it David. Sorry for the delay. I have 10 pm's i'm working through.. you're in there too, bare with me.

Forgive me, but I think you were the first inquiry for the trunk lid? I will check the order of pm's. There is another enthusiast showing interest but I believe you were first. You may have been first on the panels. Again, forgive me too..... Rodney, forgive me also.

I will be sure to make a list of who wants what and who asked first before moving forward, but it's getting late and my fingers are ready to fall off!

Again, thank you all for your interest and kind words. Much appreciated.
Goodnight!

Gus
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ive seen worse come back straight. Once you strip off the dog house Ill bet it looks a whole lot better. A talented frame shop will pull the frame straight. Much of that looks like sheet metal. The fact that the windshield isnt cracked is a plus. Does the windshield look square where the top clamps? Id sell it whole vs parting it. It can be saved...JMO
Thanks for the pep talk drolds. I have an enthusiast interested in the shell and perhaps the frame with the type "O" and stock front suspension so he can get it on the truck. I agree, the damage is mainly sheet metal. The frame can be straightened. I just don't have the time or the motiviation to start the 'vert again. Time to move on.

Windshield does look square where the top clamps. Good point. Thanks for pointing that out. Impact speed wasn't that fast. about 15 or 20 mph. Amazing how the sheet metal potato chipped. Saw the hood crumple on impact. Still can see it like it happened yesterday... not something you forget easily.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:47 PM

I hope my friend has been in contact with you. My original post on this subject was one hour after your initial post, so I'm sure I/he has dibs on first on the decklid. (8:54 pm to 10:37pm) was the time lag.

No reflection upon Gus, but some people here do not respect the line of sale, and it's always the same people.

Thanks.

Last edited by Koda; October 2nd, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:21 PM

Hello Koda,

I responded to your initial inquiry on the 23rd within a couple hours of my original post. My response below.

Originally Posted by 442KoneKilr
Very Good Koda. I live in Canterbury, about 15 miles south of Putnam.

As mentioned, not much at packing and shipping but I'll see what I can do. Where is your friend located?
Unfortunately, you didn't give me his name and location until the 29th in a PM. quoted your message below:

"September 29th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Koda

Trunk Lid
Kone,

Thanks for the interest in selling.

My friend's name is xxxxxx, and he's out of xxxxxx. He doesn't get on this forum much, think his tag is xxxxx or something, so, if you wouldn't mind passing me an email or a phone # or both, I'll forward your info on to him and you guys can talk details.

Thanks much,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

On the 24th, my72olds pm'd me showing interest in the lid the next day. I wasn't aware of his pm's and didn't get them until a couple days later. He has sent several pm's that I hadn't responded to and was getting anxious, understandably so. Blame me for that since I am inexperienced with the pm system of the forum.

We talked last night at length and he has first dibs even though it means shipping to Texas. Be advised, the lid is not perfect but it appears to be rust free. my72olds may be undecided as to whether he wants it or not since I have found what I believed are imperfections may prove out to be "normal factory sloppiness", but in all fairness, I must give him first refusal. If he decides to pass, I will give your friend the courtesy of sending him all the pictures I have taken for my72olds and giving him second refusal if that's the case. Best I can do. My apologies if I missed something but I have taken great pains to maintain the first come, first served, first refusal of good and fair salesmanship. Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers.

atb
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:27 PM

To add insult to injury...

Checking back on some of the Pm's I sent out to interested enthusiasts.

Guess what, one of them was the one I sent you with my email address to pass on to your friend!

Here's what it said:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

webmaster@classicoldsmobile.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...py?answer=7720
[(0) classicoldsmobile.com. [98.158.195.219]:25: Connection timed out]

The message that didn't get delivered?

Sounds good Koda Have him use my 442konekilr@gmail.com email address we can then exchange phone numbers
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

It may be the posts I made with my work iPhone is causing a problem. I see a pattern now. Sorry for the confusion. Again, this is all new to me.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:04 PM

It's no problem, Gus, you're a stand up guy in my book.
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:42 AM

It's no problem, Gus, you're a stand up guy in my book.
Thank you... I'm doing my best
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Update:

New owner of the seats on is way to pick them as I type this. The tear down will start in earnest this weekend. Body shell/frame/stock susp/"O" type rear is spoken for once the teardown is complete.

As I break her down, I will take pics and list each part that I believe may be of interest. Again, please be patient as I have to make decisions on what to keep for my project and what to let go. Would be kicking myself if I sold something that I really needed later.

I will take time to go through all of the PM's I recieved over the the 10 days. I promised many responses and just haven't had time to it. Again, your patience is appreciated.

atb

gus
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:57 PM

Gus just a reminder about the jugs for me too , whatever hardwear to mount the over flow ill need that also ... A good battery tray if you have that also Gus .......
And ofcours the other items we discussed . Thank you
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:38 PM

It'd be interested in the console, and possibly dash.

I'm in mass, so I can pick up.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:03 AM

Id be interested in the lower air dam(plastic with rubber stapled to it) and the steel reinforcement if it had it. Thanks Ed
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks for your interest jpc647 and limegreen71w30

I am keeping the console/steering wheel and dash for my 442 w30 pt project. Sorry jpc647.
I removed the airdam when I upgraded to an aluminum radiator but I may still have that piece stored somewhere. If I can find it, you have first dibs limegreen. (Do you really have a limegreen '71 W30?? That's a cool color... how about some pics... send to my email 442konekilr@gmail.com)
If I don't update you on the airdam within a couple of weeks, please send me a memory jog email.

All,
I am in the process of tearing down the old girl and getting her ready for a buyer to pick up the shell/rolling chassis next saturday. I will then be able to start offering interior parts, such as all a/c control and venting components, electrical components such as gauges, wiring harnesses (granted, they are old but in very good shape for a 43 year old car... probably for the purist restorer only but I have NEVER had any electrical problems with this car.. everything worked), as well as other interior items. I attached a few under dash and interior pics for reference.

I am considering selling the front seat belts since I will probably be going aftermarket for the seats and will need a 3 point harness. Probably going to keep the rear seatbelts since they are in great shape and I may take a passenger occasionally. If someone already expressed interest in the front seat belts, forgive me for forgetting about you. Send me a reminder and I will honor first come, first serve, first refusal the best I can.

Also have a Gforce transmission crossmember for the th350 (as well as 2 th350's, one rebuilt, the other in need of a rebuild, AND a 4L80E out of truck if anyone is interested.. pickup only) This is convertible specific. Bought it a couple of years ago and was in the car a year before the accident. Paid over $300 with tax and shipping. Sell for $200 since I can't use it in my hardtop. Local pickup gets preference since it's kinda heavy, but won't rule out shipping if you're interested.

Finally, I have a 455 block available as well as the cast iron intake and a couple of sets of cast iron heads.. (one set is a "G" version, can't remember the other one.. sorry) ... bored .060 over, came out of the hardtop. Was running fine when pulled. Bought a second engine so don't need anymore. local pickup only

I have accumulated many '71 parts over the years with plans to do both cars as full resto's someday. So some of those parts may be redundant. I will offer up here as they become available.

Well, back to the tear down,... she isn't going to take herself apart!

Thank you all for your interest and your kind words in PM's. Much appreciated.
gus

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Last edited by 442KoneKilr; October 12th, 2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM

Gus K.

In picture #5, I am interested in the socket and wiring harness for the passenger side footwell are you keeping it or planning to sell it?

Thanks
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Does that mean you're keeping most of the interior stuff for your other project?

Let me know what is available in terms of seats, panels, console, carpets, etc.

Quick Reply: Parting out 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible.