Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Hurst 4 speed shifter non-console

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:51 AM
delete

Hurst 4 speed shifter non-console

Not mine but a friend of mine's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-C...item58abcdd5d9
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM

That is a nice shifter. It will fit 67-69,but will not fit 70-72 non-console. The non-console had a slight offset,to move it over to the center more. The console handle has even more offset.Both of the 70-72 shifters also use an angled receiver,to help with the offset.
I have taken these,heated,places the correct bends,retreated,then rechromed,for 70-72. If you do one for a console,the "H" is hidden under the boot,and the "442" is about an inch above the boot bezel.
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM

I had Dennis Maroudas at DME copy your idea Brian. If you decide to do that you will need a shifter mechanism with the angled neck. I found one on a 72 camaro shifter. I actually sent Dennis an original 70-72 console shifter so he could copy the angles, a 69 442 shifter and a 72 camaro shifter, all with their correct mechanism. He bent the 442 stick to match the 70-72 console shifter then re-plated it. Then he took the shifter mechanism off the camaro shifter and rebuilt it and installed the 442 stick. He kept the camaro shifter and the 70-72 console shifter for payment and sent me back a beautiful custom peice.
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:57 AM

Yes,I did a batch of 5 or 6 about 7 years ago.I bought some of the correct receivers from early 70's Firebird/Camaros,and some other 70-72 Cutlass/442's that did not already have the handle.I made exact duplicates with the "442" handles.Even the slight bend to the left,towards the top.
There is also an aftermarket Hurst offset reciever,shaped like an "L",that can work with some straight sticks like that,without having to bend them.It all depends on what you are doing,how correct you want it,etc.
I did see one of DME's on ebay or somewhere,and it looked great.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:18 AM

Can someone pm me DME contact info please. I have a Richmond gear 5 speed I want to use with a console and may need a custom shifter made with the bent receiver to match the original 70-72 style. I can then custom bend the shifter and have it rechromed to make it work. My plan is to use a virgin console and set the boot bezel the 1" further back, leaving the console in its original spot.

Last edited by WTony; February 12th, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:33 AM

I did a 71 442 with a Richmond 5-spd and factory console. I have all of the pictures in my work computer,but the hard drive went 2 weeks ago,and I haven't tried to fix it yet.
The shifter placement is farther rearward for the 5-spd. The floor hump needs to be massaged and opened more towards the back. I also made another console,starting with and auto console,and making the opening about 1 1/4" farther back. I used a dual-gate front top plate for the front top plate,and trimmed what I didn't need. I used a 4-spd rear top plate and trimmed that. If you can find on of those older repopped top plates,that are one-piece,you can cut everything from that.
There are a few options for shifter mechanisms and handles. Is there one attached to the trans now?
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I did a 71 442 with a Richmond 5-spd and factory console. I have all of the pictures in my work computer,but the hard drive went 2 weeks ago,and I haven't tried to fix it yet.
The shifter placement is farther rearward for the 5-spd. The floor hump needs to be massaged and opened more towards the back. I also made another console,starting with and auto console,and making the opening about 1 1/4" farther back. I used a dual-gate front top plate for the front top plate,and trimmed what I didn't need. I used a 4-spd rear top plate and trimmed that. If you can find on of those older repopped top plates,that are one-piece,you can cut everything from that.
There are a few options for shifter mechanisms and handles. Is there one attached to the trans now?
Yes, I have the Hurst shifter on it now. But its a straight receiver. Once you get those pics out of the work computer email them to me. I had planned on doing the same thing with the console and top plates. Its an auto car now and I have a repro floor hump and was going to weld it in back from the factory position.
Going to run a 2.56 posi rear. Should be about the same first gear feel as an M-20 with a 3.31 rear. Just going to be a nice driver that I can drive to any car show no matter the distance.