Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Fully built, 850hp 455 with 0 miles

Old February 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM

Fully built, 850hp 455 with 0 miles

I'm thinking about changing up my 72 cutlass project. I had a local shop build me a 455 that I was going to put an 8-71 blower on top of. I have all receipts and can provide copies of all work that was done. The motor is set up to be a cruiser with some track time, but had to be drivable. I was going to be running low boost (about 8lbs) running about 850hp, but the motor can handle 20lbs safely (on race gas.) At 20lbs of boost your over 1000hp. My new plan is to go with a sleeper look with probably an ls3. The motor is still sitting at the builders shop, covered and ready for pick up (already paid off.) If their is serious interest I will post up all of the specs and work done. If you have any questions or would like pictures please let me know either here or at justinrems@yahoo.com . I'm looking to get $8000 for the motor without a blower. Can work out delivery if someone is local. Will crate and ship at buyers expense.
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Has it been dynoed? Please post a build sheet, 850 hp is impressive..
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM

List of parts and what girdle is on it?
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:01 AM

whos the local engine builder I live right down the street from you? thankd Brandon Reynolds.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM

The motor has not been on a dyno and is a true 0 mile motor. I didn't have the blower yet so we decided not to break in a boosted motor with out the blower as we wanted everything to be broken in as it would be run. The engine builder is Philadelphia Racing Products (PRP). Their just outside of philly off of red lion road. They've built this motor, my grand national motor, my father's 383 stroker, and countless head shavings for our repair shop and have never had a single problem! (knock on wood).

The motor was disassembled, cleaned, and Magnafluxed to find any cracks and obviously none were. The block was bored 0.030 over and line honed. The heads got a full race port and polish. Then got all new parts including titanium valves, keepers, and dual valve springs. The crank and cam are both custom cut and ground. The crank is an Eagle 4340 Steel crank and the cam is a Comp non-roller street able cam. Again I built this to be a fast cruiser so I wanted it to idle smooth and not need constant adjustments that roller cams need. I put a timing gear in instead of a regular chain because in all honesty I like the design. I'm a mechanical engineer so take it as it is haha, it wont hurt performance but will last longer then a regular double chain would. Also has JE pistons, Mainly H-beam rods, high volume oil pump, ARP everything, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff as well ...Looking at this list I realize why the car is still a project haha

The girdle I got from mondello and is the Halo support (Part#SG-490)

Ill get more information when I get home and find the paperwork. If you have any questions let me know.
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Take that halo thing off and put an actual girdle on it,if you plan on making 850HP.
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blown455
The engine builder is Philadelphia Racing Products (PRP). Their just outside of philly off of red lion road.
small world, I work closely with a packaging contractor on red lion rd...
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:53 AM

With the upgraded mains and the halo girdle, they can easily handle this motor. Now if it was going to be an all out racer and was just going to be full throttle all the time then I would look into something else, but this combo will have no problem holding together.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Is it just the halo,or the halo with the side rails,tied to the block. Just the halo hoop won't go that far,not that HP level,but it makes a nice carrier to pick the carnage up.
It needs to be tied to the block,not just connecting the main caps to each other.
What heads did you have done for it?
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Is it just the halo,or the halo with the side rails,tied to the block. Just the halo hoop won't go that far,not that HP level,but it makes a nice carrier to pick the carnage up.
It needs to be tied to the block,not just connecting the main caps to each other.
What heads did you have done for it?

I thought it was just the halo but I'm not sure because I'm still trying to find the paperwork. I went with what my engine builder said because he's the expert and has been down this road many times before and I...haven't haha

Their the stock heads that had all of the work done.
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Any interest? The price is OBO. Would like it gone soon to get started on my next motor so if your slightly interested let me know and we can work something out
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Beer Connoisseur

For 8k you gotta find your paperwork. For 8k you have to have a lot more info, compression, what cam, what heads, valve size, clearances. I may be interested as I am shopping around for a nice 455 but man so far your post looks like bunch of stuff slapped together, no offense.
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
For 8k you gotta find your paperwork. For 8k you have to have a lot more info, compression, what cam, what heads, valve size, clearances. I may be interested as I am shopping around for a nice 455 but man so far your post looks like bunch of stuff slapped together, no offense.

No offense taken because your exactly right, no paperwork its all just a myth. Ill find the paperwork and post it up so everything is exactly right.
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:27 PM

subscribing for the details of the motor...
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

850HP with stock type iron heads? That is impressive.......
Old February 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM

....................There's no build sheet
No dyno pull
.......................0 mile engine........................
Horsepower is pure conjecture
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by joepenoso
....................There's no build sheet
No dyno pull
.......................0 mile engine........................
Horsepower is pure conjecture

I'm sorry I didn't get the information posted in a manner you felt was timely. I know I haven't been the fastest but I have had about 15" of snow I've had to get rid of while also still being a full time student. If you don't believe the motor exist I welcome you to come down and inspect it and look over anything you want. I am tearing my house apart looking for the paperwork.

Also "Horsepower is pure conjecture" is a wild overstatement. When all somebody does is build race engines it is really simple for them to figure out what it can do and what its capable of doing. If an engine builder cant look at what has been done to a motor and give a rough idea of what it can do than I wouldn't trust them to touch anything I own.
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM

So the build sheet has been found, tore my house apart to find out that I never got it from the builder. I should be picking it up either wed or thurs and as soon as I get it I will finally update everyone.
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:32 PM

So here are the specs-
Pistons, rings, and retainer clips: Wiseco, Comp Height: 1.750, Bore Size: 4.1550
Cam: Bullet, Duration-Intake:224, Exhaust:231; Lobe-Intake:0.3220, Exhaust:0.3210
Head Studs:ARP, 7/16" Diameter rated at 200,000PSI
Springs: Comp, Dual valve springs, 1.55" O.D.
Timing: Milodon 14000 timing gear set
Pushrod: Comp, Magnum 3/8 Dia"
Lifters: Comp, Pro magnum, .842” diameter, 96g weight, 2.01” seat height
Crank: Eagle, Cast, externally balanced
Rods: Eagle, Forged Steel H-Beam
Balancer: Professional Products, SFI approved with certification card

Ill upload some pictures this weekend but if you would like a specific picture of something let me know.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Any interest?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:00 PM

Any questions? A lot of lookers but no questions at all?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:53 PM

You said a while back that you were going to post some pics?
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
You said a while back that you were going to post some pics?

Sorry for the delay, I never got an email that someone commented...I was going to get pictures but no one seemed interested so I wasn't going to rush and just haven't gotten around to it but I will get them sometime this week.
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Any questions? A lot of lookers but no questions at all?
Yes...why did the pistons and rods change brands?

they went from je to wiseco and "mainley" to eagle.
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM

I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1) What specific race port work was done to the heads?
2) What letter stock heads?
3) What size valves?
4) What brand valves?
5) Do you have any flow numbers for the heads?
6) Was this engine line bored after girdle installation?
7) What is the dish size on the pistons?
8) What is the weight of the piston rod assemblies?
9) What lift is on the cam & was it installed straight up?
10) Does the block have provisions for a stick shift trans?
11) Was this engine built with a stock oil pan?
12) What brand flexplate was used?
13) What rockers are on this engine?
14) What clearances were used for rods, mains & pistons?
15) Does this engine come with any type of transferable warranty?
16) Do you have any photos that you could post?

Last edited by 67 Cutlass Freak; March 11th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Yes...why did the pistons and rods change brands?

they went from je to wiseco and "mainley" to eagle.
That was my mistake. I was going off of memory and ended up getting my engines mixed up. I'm also building a grand national motor so while I was trying to think about it the parts started to overlap. That is also why I had a hard time posting the information because I thought I had it but it turns out I never got the information from the builder when I got the motor, but I stopped in and now I have everything together...Everything in the latest post is what is actually in the motor because I read it right from the build sheet.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1) What specific race port work was done to the heads?
2) What letter stock heads?
3) What size valves?
4) What brand valves?
5) Do you have any flow numbers for the heads?
6) Was this engine line bored after girdle installation?
7) What is the dish size on the pistons?
8) What is the weight of the piston rod assemblies?
9) What lift is on the cam & was it installed straight up?
10) Does the block have provisions for a stick shift trans?
11) Was this engine built with a stock oil pan?
12) What brand flexplate was used?
13) What rockers are on this engine?
14) What clearances were used for rods, mains & pistons?
15) Does this engine come with any type of transferable warranty?
16) Do you have any photos that you could post?
1) Race port and polish is just what they call it. It's pretty much them saying they did as much porting as they could and not just a simple cleaning up the ports.
2)I will check for you.
3)I will check for you.
4)I will check for you.
5)No
6)I would assume so but don't see anything in the paperwork.
7)I will check for you.
8)I will see if that is in the paperwork but I don't remember seeing it.
9)I will check for you, and what do you mean straight up.
10)Not sure, how would I check that.
11)Yes
12)I will check for you.
13)I will check for you.
14)Ill see if that's in the paperwork.
15)We could work something out.
16)I am getting them probably this weekend.
^^^As you can tell from some of my answers I dont build motors haha. I learned my lesson about going off memory so now when I answer a question ill be reading it directly from the build sheets.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:28 AM

1) Race port and polish is just what they call it. It's pretty much them saying they did as much porting as they could and not just a simple cleaning up the ports.
This doesn't tell me anything at all. I wanted to know if the roof was raised and how far, was the heat riser filled, was the exhaust divider welded up?
2)I will check for you.
3)I will check for you.
4)I will check for you.
5)No
6)I would assume so but don't see anything in the paperwork.
I don't think you should assume anything
7)I will check for you.
8)I will see if that is in the paperwork but I don't remember seeing it.
9)I will check for you, and what do you mean straight up.
When a camshaft is degreed in, you have choices to advance, retard or install the cam straight up. For a blower motor you may want to have the cam retarded.
10)Not sure, how would I check that.
Has the crank been drilled for a pilot bushing, was a stickshift flywheel supplied at time of external ballancing, does the block have a threaded boss on the drivers side where the clutch linkage pivot ball will mount?
11)Yes
12)I will check for you.
13)I will check for you.
14)Ill see if that's in the paperwork.
15)We could work something out.
To be more specific, did the machine shop give you any written warranty, and will it be transferable?
16)I am getting them probably this weekend.
^^^As you can tell from some of my answers I dont build motors haha. I learned my lesson about going off memory so now when I answer a question ill be reading it directly from the build sheets.
I understand you are not an engine builder. It's my opinion that your machine shop should have educated you a bit more on what exactly they were building for you. If I were to purchase this engine, I would expect to have all receipts for all parts, and machine work handed over to me, as well as all the blue print specifications on this build. Some of your answers concern me a bit. For not knowing much about engine, you have some big ***** to have a blower motor built, & not knowing how to tune it. I guess you could always pay someone else to do that for you. I'm curious about the car you have that could handle this "850 HP" beast.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:09 PM

I understand you are not an engine builder. It's my opinion that your machine shop should have educated you a bit more on what exactly they were building for you. If I were to purchase this engine, I would expect to have all receipts for all parts, and machine work handed over to me, as well as all the blue print specifications on this build. Some of your answers concern me a bit. For not knowing much about engine, you have some big ***** to have a blower motor built, & not knowing how to tune it. I guess you could always pay someone else to do that for you. I'm curious about the car you have that could handle this "850 HP" beast.

I think a huge part is our shop works really close with their shop so this was a motor that sat their for 5 years so I could save money and once I saved up enough they built it when they weren't busy and like we've all said, I'm never gonna sell it so a lot of the paper work is probably sitting at their shop...But I do understand everybody's questions and concerns. I think the best thing to do is for me to hold on to the motor and will most likely drop it in, cruise it, and enjoy it. If you ever see a picture posted up feel free to trash me for this thread haha, I've got thick skin.
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't trying to pick on you. I really wanted to know the details about your engine. I will admit that I'm not in the market for a blower engine. I was asking these questions to try to help you sell it, or to at least figure out exactly what you have, for your own knowledge. If I was you, I would still persue the answers to all these questions, so if you do decide to sell it in the future, you will be able to acurately describe what you have. The blue print data with all the build specs is more important than all the receipts. Anyone can price out the parts and machine work, but only your builder knows the fine details in the specs.
Oldsmobile engines require special attention to detail. Blower motors are usually built with lower compression to better handle the boost. Balancing the rotating assembly was crucial, but an internal balance would be prefered. The Profesional Products balancers do not have a good reputation amongst Olds builders. I hope you do get to enjoy your car. You should start a build thread and keep us all posted - Dave
Old March 13th, 2014, 05:56 AM

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't trying to pick on you. I really wanted to know the details about your engine. I will admit that I'm not in the market for a blower engine. I was asking these questions to try to help you sell it, or to at least figure out exactly what you have, for your own knowledge. If I was you, I would still persue the answers to all these questions, so if you do decide to sell it in the future, you will be able to acurately describe what you have. The blue print data with all the build specs is more important than all the receipts. Anyone can price out the parts and machine work, but only your builder knows the fine details in the specs.
Oldsmobile engines require special attention to detail. Blower motors are usually built with lower compression to better handle the boost. Balancing the rotating assembly was crucial, but an internal balance would be prefered. The Profesional Products balancers do not have a good reputation amongst Olds builders. I hope you do get to enjoy your car. You should start a build thread and keep us all posted - Dave

No, I fully understand what you were doing. I thought I had all the paperwork including the blueprints but as soon as I opened the drawer and didn't see it I knew it was going to be a problem haha. I've have two other turbo cars now and their fun but they just lack the look of a blower sticking through the hood haha...Believe it or not, thanks for helping.