Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Mid 70’s Delco in-dash AM/FM 8-Track radio - refurbished

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Thumbs up Mid 70’s Delco in-dash AM/FM 8-Track radio - refurbished

Although the service tag has fallen off long ago, I am sure this should fit some Oldsmobiles, as well as other GM vehicles. It has been in my garage for ages; not sure even where it came from.
Plug connection looks correct for years 1973 to 1977. There is a sticker with 11.4.76 inside, so maybe that is a build date?
Cosmetically it looks very good after I did a good cleaning on it. Not perfect but somewhat close. Would be great for a daily driver or could be used in a show car, as its flaws are not too noticeable. Dial lamp works when dash lights is on, but turns off when tape is inserted. Nice bluish white color when on.
AM/FM switch was all chrome but has been painted flat black (now gray) on the sides by the factory. The paint is worn in a few areas. If you want it all chrome, the black paint should come off easily with a plastic scraper.

Radio has been tested and repaired, along with some PM done.
Tuner works great. This seems to pull in stations better than the newer ETR units! Pushbutton memory works well for both AM and FM. Memory and tuning mechanism was lubed also. Amp section works great and this has the optional fader control built in for 4 speaker operation (note the wires on the side). Has single tone control. Plug pinout is on the bottom case. This unit can also be connected to an amp, but ONLY if a floating ground adapter is used.

8-track deck was mostly disassembled and cleaned in critical areas. Old dried grease was removed from the head mechanism and new grease applied. Capstan and flywheel was removed and cleaned and bearings lubed. Head and track change switch were cleaned well, too. Double drive belts were replaced as well. Head was adjusted and drive speed was set to factory specs.

Dimensions –
Overall case width – 7.75”
Overall case height – 3.5”
Overall depth (sans shafts, buttons, and plug) – 8”
Plug protrudes 1.375” from the back.
Nose is about 4.5 x 2.5”. Unit was designed to mount behind the dash, rather than to have the nose protrude through a dash opening. Marks on the unit indicate it was in an opening 2.25” x 4.375”
Shaft to shaft - 5 13/16”

Unit has played many of my old 8-tracks without issues. Too bad I do not have a car to put it in!

I have scoured evil bay and CL for months and found similar untested units going for 80-100, most without tape players. Some claimed to have been working 20 years ago, but grease solidifies in the pushbuttons and tape deck. I bet those will not work!

This one is ready to install and comes with a 90 day unlimited mileage warranty. Should a failure occur after then, I will work with you the best I can within reason.
***** are not included, as I never had them. They will be unique per vehicle anyway so you will want to obtain your own.
$120 to your door.

NOTE - the blue haze on the AM FM switch and around the tape door are camera artifacts or reflections from something. Those surfaces are more of a medium gray. The tape door has fine scratches on the sides from tapes pushing against it.

As with all tape decks, be sure your tapes are in good enough condition to play. Inspect them well for deterioration before playing them. Be sure to clean the head, capstan, and change switch more often then the owners manual suggests, as such old tapes leave more deposits due to deterioration. Missing foam pads behind the track change switch will cause unit to not change tracks automatically.
It is recommended to copy your old tapes onto new tapes. I bet newer blanks are getting hard to find, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4069.jpg (54.6 KB, 270 views)
IMG_4070.jpg (54.6 KB, 27 views)
IMG_4071.jpg (45.9 KB, 52 views)
IMG_4073.jpg (48.7 KB, 274 views)
IMG_3996.jpg (19.7 KB, 251 views)
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Sending PM now.
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM

Radio is still available. I am sure someone wants to step up to the sound of 8-tracks!
Old August 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Still available, now offering free shipping.