Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1963 394 engine and transmission

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM

1963 394 engine and transmission

I'm replacing the engine and transmission in my 63 Dynamic 88 Conv., with a 455 and TH400, so I'm selling the 394 and transmission. The engine and transmission are still in the car and it runs and drives. Motor has a recently rebuild carb on it and the slimjim transmission shifts good(well, let me rephrase - as good as slimjims did shift). Motor needs the rear main seal replaced due to sitting up too long. Asking $750 for the pair and I could help on delivery with a reasonable distance of East Texas.
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM

hey would that be a dual exhuast
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM

No, not really, someone ran a set of pseudo duals by splitting the exhause pipe under rear floor and putting two outlets. Doesn't have dual manifolds. Sorry
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lonestarjarhead
I'm replacing the engine and transmission in my 63 Dynamic 88 Conv., with a 455 and TH400, so I'm selling the 394 and transmission. The engine and transmission are still in the car and it runs and drives. Motor has a recently rebuild carb on it and the slimjim transmission shifts good(well, let me rephrase - as good as slimjims did shift). Motor needs the rear main seal replaced due to sitting up too long. Asking $750 for the pair and I could help on delivery with a reasonable distance of East Texas.
I got to tell you that the swap out to a 455, and a TH400 ain't easy as the engine mounts on the 455 are on the sides at the front of the engine and the 394 has just one front engine mount at the front in the center. This is not a easy swap to say the least but you'll find that you have to cobble up the Frame just to try and get the right angles just so the U-joints don't tighten up from not having the correct angles for flexing and that is just the beginning of things to look forward too!!
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I realize that it's really gonna be a hassle. I wanted to go to a little more modern setup. Parts for the 394 are rare and the slimjim is always questionable.It's a shame that the Olds engineers put in such a bastard engine and transmission. Nothing else will fit, even for a transmission, unless you want to spend big bucks for a custom made transmission housing. SBC would go in easier, but want the big Olds torque.
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:41 PM

If you have mechanical skills, it will not be that hard. "Citicap" did it to his '57, and has a detailed install with pic's on line .
I would talk to him. He is a member here.
My thought would be to pull the front clip off, that way you have room to move and do set up and take measurements.

Gene
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:28 PM

How much do you want for just the transmission?
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:14 AM

63 394 motor & transmission

Really would like to sell the pair, but guess I would seperate them and sell justs the transmission for $350. Thanks for the interest.
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks, i am new to this forum. I recently purchased my car (1964 olsmobile 98 two door. My transmission guy says its roto 10 also known as a slim jim. Want to make sure it would be a straight replacement.
If so i can pick if i can? Where are you located?
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by lonestarjarhead
Really would like to sell the pair, but guess I would seperate them and sell justs the transmission for $350. Thanks for the interest.
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks, i would like to make arrangements for transmission?
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by chequenman
I got to tell you that the swap out to a 455, and a TH400 ain't easy as the engine mounts on the 455 are on the sides at the front of the engine and the 394 has just one front engine mount at the front in the center. This is not a easy swap to say the least but you'll find that you have to cobble up the Frame just to try and get the right angles just so the U-joints don't tighten up from not having the correct angles for flexing and that is just the beginning of things to look forward too!!
What about using an Olds Toronado front motor mount? Years ago we installed a 425 Olds engine into a 58 Chev pickup by using the front "U" bracket from a Toro.

Henry
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 66400
What about using an Olds Toronado front motor mount? Years ago we installed a 425 Olds engine into a 58 Chev pickup by using the front "U" bracket from a Toro.

Henry
I don't see any difference with the engine mounts on a Toro 425 as they are front side mounts. The 394 engine is a single mount at the very front of the engine under the Timing Chain housing.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:50 PM

I don't see any difference with the engine mounts on a Toro 425 as they are front side mounts. The 394 engine is a single mount at the very front of the engine under the Timing Chain housing.

The '60's Toros used a U shaped bracket that mounts to the very front of the engine under the timing chain housing also using a single mount.
Henry
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 66400
The '60's Toros used a U shaped bracket that mounts to the very front of the engine under the timing chain housing also using a single mount.
Henry
I gues that "U" bracket attaches to the original side mounts cast in the Block does it??
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM

No, the toro in 66, 67 mounted just like the 394. A "U" shape engine mount, bolted to the timing cover bolts, just like the 394 engine. Because the Toro engine faced as a normal engine and the trans was mounted on the side of the engine, for the most part .Google it and you will see.

Gene
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by URABSOLUTE1
Thanks, i am new to this forum. I recently purchased my car (1964 olsmobile 98 two door. My transmission guy says its roto 10 also known as a slim jim. Want to make sure it would be a straight replacement.
If so i can pick if i can? Where are you located?

Not sure if you went through with this purchase/install, yet. There are virtually no differences in the 63-64 transmissions (slim jim) the only big difference is the location of the speedometer. In the 61-63 it is located on the tail section of the trans and, as I am sure you figured out, in 64 they moved it to the front spindle. So this should not affect your swap, but for those who are reading and are looking to swap a 64 back to 61-63 cars, that is an issue you will have to address.
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by rustyrocket
Not sure if you went through with this purchase/install, yet. There are virtually no differences in the 63-64 transmissions (slim jim) the only big difference is the location of the speedometer. In the 61-63 it is located on the tail section of the trans and, as I am sure you figured out, in 64 they moved it to the front spindle. So this should not affect your swap, but for those who are reading and are looking to swap a 64 back to 61-63 cars, that is an issue you will have to address.
The '61, '62, '63, and '64 Full Size Oldsmobiles all had speedometer functions in the front left Spindle!!! These Roto 10 trannys were used in many other applications such as Military use and many of those vehicles used the tranny to get a speed reading....
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:54 AM

The '61, '62, '63, and '64 Full Size Oldsmobiles all had speedometer functions in the front left Spindle!!! These Roto 10 trannys were used in many other applications such as Military use and many of those vehicles used the tranny to get a speed reading....
That is categorically un true. I have a 100% original 62 olds 88, and the speedo cable runs directly from the rear of the trans up the firewall divider, and to the dash cluster. I have replaced all 4 wheel cylinders and have never seen anything that would suggest there are speedo functions on any of the wheels. 64 is the first year they did that on the full size Olds.
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:35 AM

The '61, '62, '63, and '64 Full Size Oldsmobiles all had speedometer functions in the front left Spindle!!! These Roto 10 trannys were used in many other applications such as Military use
You might want to check out that before you post bad information. And with the exception of a third world country, what military would want a Slim Jim behind anything? I never heard of the military using these things
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
You might want to check out that before you post bad information. And with the exception of a third world country, what military would want a Slim Jim behind anything? I never heard of the military using these things

AGREED. I was thinking the exact same thing about the military use of this inferior transmission. And I own one!! and unless the tank/APV/whatever is running a poncho 389, or a 394 the ROT wouldn't even bolt up to it. And I don't think that they would go through the effort to adapt a SLIM JIM to any other engine set ups. That would not only be an even weaker combo it would be ridiculously expensive. Sorry dude.
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by rustyrocket
AGREED. I was thinking the exact same thing about the military use of this inferior transmission. And I own one!! and unless the tank/APV/whatever is running a poncho 389, or a 394 the ROT wouldn't even bolt up to it. And I don't think that they would go through the effort to adapt a SLIM JIM to any other engine set ups. That would not only be an even weaker combo it would be ridiculously expensive. Sorry dude.
Well, after all your "Sarcasm" I really don't think I should respond, but I'm just not that type of guy, so I will make mention that the U.S. Military DID in fact use these Transmissions in Personnel Carriers and who are they to know that these Transmissions where going to be such HIGH MAINTENANCE items. I have Nine '62 and '63 F/S Oldsmobiles and I have many friends with similar oldsmobiles and everyone of them have speedo's driven on the left front wheel. I have taken note that the Canadian Service Manual's also make mention of Tranny operated speedo's, but I've never noticed any.
As far as you saying "sorry dude" you really don't seem to know the meaning of the word....
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up

Well, after all your "Sarcasm" I really don't think I should respond, but I'm just not that type of guy, so I will make mention that the U.S. Military DID in fact use these Transmissions in Personnel Carriers and who are they to know that these Transmissions where going to be such HIGH MAINTENANCE items. I have Nine '62 and '63 F/S Oldsmobiles and I have many friends with similar oldsmobiles and everyone of them have speedo's driven on the left front wheel. I have taken note that the Canadian Service Manual's also make mention of Tranny operated speedo's, but I've never noticed any.
As far as you saying "sorry dude" you really don't seem to know the meaning of the word....
I don't want to make any enimies on this forum, because I will probably eventually need your or someone elses help here. So no offense I hope. I have personally taken apart ALL 4 of my wheel assemblies, and there are no mechanical connections that would in anyway lead to the speedometer. I got a personal message, from a member, earlier stating the this person's 63 olds 98 had the speedo control on the right front spindle and that got me thinking. The 98 as well as the star fire, and super 88 are higher end cars, possible with disk breaks which might mean the speedo is located on the wheel. I have a 62 dynamic 88, and the speedo cable runs from the dash directly to the tail section of the transmission. This is all I know FOR SURE. As far as the military use. I would love to read an article about this. If you can send me a link that would be cool!
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM

speedo cable

The car that the engine and transmission listed in this thread is in fact a 63 and it does have the speedo cable running to the left front wheel hub. Might not be original to the car(lot of things have changed in 49 years), but if they changed it, someone went to a lot of work.
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:04 AM

That is interesting. The information I got about the location of the speedo drive came from a guy that has had several 88's, 98's, starfires. So I am going with what he said. Maybe the switch over year was 63, not 64 like HE said. Again, MY 62 has it onthe tail section of the trans. and the 61 ROTO he has sitting in his garage has it on the tail section. So as long as the tag on yours says 63, than that solves it. 63-64 have it ont he front spindle for all full size, and 61-62 has the speedo drive on the tail section of the trans. See, TOGETHER we all figured it out. Great work Guys !!