Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Aftermarket 1972 Ram Air Hood

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2012, 06:22 AM

Aftermarket 1972 Ram Air Hood

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Aftermarket Ram Air Hood for 1972 Cutlass/442. Less than a year old. Bought it from The Parts Place. Some minor blemishes, ready for paint.

Contact me if interested. I'll take better close up pictures if needed. The aftermarket wing is available too. It doesn't come with it.

Pick up only. Priced right at $500.00. Plus, you will save $150-180 in shipping costs.

Thanks,

Lou in CT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 021.jpg (32.7 KB, 136 views)
Picture 020.jpg (35.0 KB, 127 views)
Picture 018.jpg (32.5 KB, 125 views)
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:25 PM

Out of curiosity, why are you selling the hood? Lot of folks on here have been talking about what the best company to buy an OAI hood from is. Do you find the workmanship to be good quality?

I also see that this hood has the provisions for adding the hood latch lock. Was there there from parts place or did you have to add it after?

Thanks!

-Tony
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Tony,
I believe Parts place, Tamraz etc all get their hoods from glasstek. Last year this hood was selling new - full price without blems at 558.00. Tamraz still sells theirs for that price. PP sells them new for 589.00 now.

Parts place also has a discount outlet on ebay that sells blemished parts for less than retail (depending on how crazy the bidding gets). I would be curious to know about the cutout areas too, because I don't think the hood was sold from PP that way - could be wrong though. That would require reinforcement to accept the latch. Whoever did the cutout did a nice job though. You sound interested in buying it, but make sure it fits your needs first and you're satisfied with all answers from the seller. Being well informed will help in your decision making.

Blackpage, not trying to discourage anyone from looking at or buying your hood - it sounds like a very fair price. Can you post any pics that show the minor blemishes?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Out of curiosity, why are you selling the hood?

I bought the hood because I was going to fix up a 1972 Cutlass S. I love the look of the OAI hoods but wasn't willing to spring for the $2+ K they go for. Aftermarket was a good alternative.

The 1972 Cutlass S project changed to a 1971 442 (W30, but can't say 100% that it is. No documentation. Anotjher story/thread). Now that I have a 442, an aftermarket hood won't cut it for me.

The person buying my Cutlass S had a number in mind. When we made the deal, his number would only work if the hood was not included. That is why it is for sale.

Lot of folks on here have been talking about what the best company to buy an OAI hood from is. Do you find the workmanship to be good quality?

I had it on the Cutlass S. It fit after a little massaging. I was satisfied quality wise. It is a reasonable facsimile, but definately not an original.

I also see that this hood has the provisions for adding the hood latch lock. Was there there from parts place or did you have to add it after?

It came set up for the hood pins. The hood pins and the brackets have to be bought seperately.

Thanks!

You're welcome

-Tony
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

Blackpage, not trying to discourage anyone from looking at or buying your hood - it sounds like a very fair price.

I didn't take it that way. The people in this forum are smart, well informed and make decisions after doing their homework. Much of their research for their homework comes from this very forum. I would be a fool to think that there wouldn't be any discussions or questions about the hood. I'd be more than willing to answer any questions or concerns the best way I can. Honestly.

Can you post any pics that show the minor blemishes?
I will take more pictures today(if possible) or tomorrow.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM

Here are more pictures. I got as close up as possible. I'll answwer your questions the best I can.

Thanks
Attached Images
grill 015.jpg (39.9 KB, 99 views)
grill 016.jpg (37.6 KB, 94 views)
grill 018.jpg (22.7 KB, 98 views)
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Blackpage
Here are more pictures. I got as close up as possible. I'll answwer your questions the best I can.
Thanks
The third pic was hard to see, but it's probably a deep scratch? (if you use the macro feature of your camera - should show an image that looks like a little tulip) it will help get those close ups. Took me awhile to find it on mine )

Are the cutouts for that hood (not the ones for the chrome tie downs) actually cut out from the factory? Looks like with a metal plate fibreglassed to them this hood could be used with the original hood lock like the metal hoods?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm also curious about the hood lock plate that's on the bottom of the hood. Also very cool that you got a W-30 car to replace your 72.

My car doesn't have the OAI originally, so getting something aftermarket is most definitely the way i'm going to go to save some dollars (that and my current hood is really beat up.)

cheers,

tony
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM

The third pic was hard to see, but it's probably a deep scratch?

It's a wide scratch. Not deep though.

(if you use the macro feature of your camera - should show an image that looks like a little tulip) it will help get those close ups. Took me awhile to find it on mine )

I'll try again tomorrow using your advise.

Are the cutouts for that hood (not the ones for the chrome tie downs) actually cut out from the factory? Looks like with a metal plate fibreglassed to them this hood could be used with the original hood lock like the metal hoods?
Everything you see (except the sctratches and dings) is from the factory.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm also curious about the hood lock plate that's on the bottom of the hood. It came that way from the factory.

Also very cool that you got a W-30 car to replace your 72. It definately is a 442 from the VIN, but no build sheet, window sticker or any other documentation so I can't say definitively that it's a W30.

My car doesn't have the OAI originally, so getting something aftermarket is most definitely the way i'm going to go to save some dollars (that and my current hood is really beat up.) Well, here it is in Connecticut. Only 8-9 hours from Montreal. Don't hold my being a Boston Bruins fan against me.

cheers,

tony
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It definately is a 442 from the VIN, but no build sheet, window sticker or any other documentation so I can't say definitively that it's a W30.

I'm hoping you find a broadcast card in it. Not very likely you'll find the build sheet; Lansing cars never seem to find one anywhere. Any idea if the car was originally sold in Canada or exported to Canada? If it was there will be documentation from GM Canada on it to prove the cars heritage. I'm pulling for you that you'll find one of the cards in the car. Have you checked under the seats or under the carpet? (probably a dumb thing to say if the car has already been redone). One other place it could be is on top of the gas tank.

71 442 W30's are one of the toughest cars I would want to own. I would trade mine for a 71 anyday too. Any chance you could post a couple of pics so we could drool over them?

BTW, thanks for the clarification on the cutouts. I didn't think Parts Place manufactured them that way. I see other repops without them, so maybe PP put in a special request on their orders. FWIW they keep saying they're producing a steel lined W25 for the 71/72. I keep phoning them and emailing but the answers always the same. Rhymes with: Sorry, not in production yet! Oh man I gotta get better at my rhymes!!

Well, here it is in Connecticut. Only 8-9 hours from Montreal. Don't hold my being a Boston Bruins fan against me.

Boston? What's Boston? Everyone knows that after Bobby Orr left there was no Boston. It's ok though, I'm not an Edmonton Oilers fan either. Go Habs!! I wish I was closer myself. PA seems to have tons of good outlets for Olds parts.

Last edited by Allan R; January 3rd, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM

How much for the aftermarket wing?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM

I'm hoping you find a broadcast card in it. Not very likely you'll find the build sheet; Lansing cars never seem to find one anywhere. Any idea if the car was originally sold in Canada or exported to Canada? If it was there will be documentation from GM Canada on it to prove the cars heritage. I'm pulling for you that you'll find one of the cards in the car. Have you checked under the seats or under the carpet? (probably a dumb thing to say if the car has already been redone). One other place it could be is on top of the gas tank.

I wish she was done! I'm only just starting. It's a rolling frame and shell. No engine, tranny, hood, radiator core, nose, front fenders, seats or bumper. It's got a 390 posi rear, boxed control arms, 4 speed hump, rear bumper with cut outs and trumpets, SSIs, red wheel wells, clean dash, new NOS quarters and original rust free trunk. She needs a lot, but she also has a lot.

71 442 W30's are one of the toughest cars I would want to own. I would trade mine for a 71 anyday too. Any chance you could post a couple of pics so we could drool over them?

It's pretty much apart. Doors, trunk lid and rear bumper are off. Exhaust system and gas tank are out too. They need to be replaced. I can take pictures of what is left.

Boston? What's Boston? Everyone knows that after Bobby Orr left there was no Boston.

Blasphemy! Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, CAM NEELY !!!!!!! Ray Bourque. Bobby Orr is the reason I became a Bruins fan. IMO, the best hockey player EVER.

I wish I was closer myself. PA seems to have tons of good outlets for Olds parts.
FUSICK is in Connecticut. So is the hood.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=michael hilsabeck;355895]How much for the aftermarket wing?

I'd like to get $100.00 plus shipping.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM

Can you send pic please
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

[QUOTE=Blackpage;355946]
Originally Posted by michael hilsabeck
How much for the aftermarket wing?

I'd like to get $100.00 plus shipping.
Wow! that's a heck of a good deal. I already bought one or I'd pony up the cash right now.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=Allan R;355955]
Originally Posted by Blackpage
Wow! that's a heck of a good deal. I already bought one or I'd pony up the cash right now.
It is what it is, as they say. I don't like haggling.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=Allan R;355813]The third pic was hard to see, but it's probably a deep scratch? (if you use the macro feature of your camera - should show an image that looks like a little tulip) it will help get those close ups. Took me awhile to find it on mine )

Couldn't find any tulips. This is the best I could do.
Attached Images
grill 032.jpg (31.8 KB, 53 views)
grill 033.jpg (33.4 KB, 54 views)
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Blackpage;356189]
The third pic was hard to see, but it's probably a deep scratch? (if you use the macro feature of your camera - should show an image that looks like a little tulip) it will help get those close ups. Took me awhile to find it on mine )

Couldn't find any tulips. This is the best I could do.

Still available. Here's another picture.
Attached Images
hood 035.jpg (71.1 KB, 63 views)
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Are you still only interested in Local Pickups? If i drove down to Montreal to pick it up (11 hours both ways) I think that would probably be just as expensive as shipping it up to my neck of the woods.
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM

--

not trying to put the kibosh on the sale; ...but re: your logic of needing an original OAI hood since it's a 442...why ?

I could see if you had proof it was a W30, then sure, it would have come with the OAI hood. But had it been a W30, it probably would still have that OAI, right ?

But most 442s did not come with that...so since you're adding a piece that wasn't on the car originally, why not repro ? I don't think real vs repro adds value to a car that didn't come with OAI originally anyway.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
not trying to put the kibosh on the sale; ...but re: your logic of needing an original OAI hood since it's a 442...why ?

I could see if you had proof it was a W30, then sure, it would have come with the OAI hood. But had it been a W30, it probably would still have that OAI, right ?

But most 442s did not come with that...so since you're adding a piece that wasn't on the car originally, why not repro ? I don't think real vs repro adds value to a car that didn't come with OAI originally anyway.
For myself?

No WAY am i paying for a thortons or original GM hood. My car didnt come with it. So i see no reason for throwing money down the gutter to get one.

I just think it looks sickly-awesome.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:38 AM

no Tony, I meant the seller. I meant that since he has a 442 which in almost all liklihood came with a non-OAI hood, why would he need only a factory OAI for it ?

To me, repro is fine for his 442 just like it was fine for his Cutlass since neither of them came with the factory OAI hood.

Just my opinion. If it was a documented W30, then sure, he needs a factory hood. Otherwise the factory hood doesn't add much more value to the car than the repro hood would.
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Honestly if it were a W30 id put my money towards saying it did have an OAI hood from the factory. If it weren't a W30 id agree with you though but in this case...also I agree with the seller, if its an original car id want original equipment on it, whether it came with an original OAI or not, if everything else is NOS id prefer an original hood over a reproduction. It just makes it that much more authentic, which is worth the extra price in my opinion. But also in my opinion theres no reason in ponying up the hefty price for an original hood if its not a really authentic resto like this. This is a special case where id take the more expensive route for that added authenticity
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:13 PM

-

Vega...just curious...lets say you had the original factory window sticker for your 442 and it proved that the car was not a factory OAI car.

But you like the way the OAI looks (who doesn't !) and wanted one for your 442. Would you think it's worthwhile to pay extra for a factory hood even though original docs show the car was built otherwise ?

Or would you save some money and get a repro, since you're losing originality anyway with that hood ?
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM

personally id go for the original, even if it wasnt. If nothing else itd just be a nice conversation piece "yep, its a real hood, not original to the car but this is exactly what it would have been if it was" just my preference anyway :P personally I like clones better than original cars though, too many people are scared to drive their original cars, clones are the way to go, you get everything the original is without the fear of ruining a piece of history, and in that sense I love the aftermarket repops :-)
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Are you still only interested in Local Pickups? If i drove down to Montreal to pick it up (11 hours both ways) I think that would probably be just as expensive as shipping it up to my neck of the woods.
Very possible Tony. Just don't forget to factor in the inevitable import fees coming across the border. Not a deal breaker by any stretch because you'll have to pay it for any hood you bring across. You thinking to jump on this one? I do agree with you that the OAI look is ultimately cool. I also won't pay Thorntons price - just not worth it for me. I might just put the W29 hood striping on my steel one and call it good.
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Very possible Tony. Just don't forget to factor in the inevitable import fees coming across the border. Not a deal breaker by any stretch because you'll have to pay it for any hood you bring across. You thinking to jump on this one? I do agree with you that the OAI look is ultimately cool. I also won't pay Thorntons price - just not worth it for me. I might just put the W29 hood striping on my steel one and call it good.
I definitely hear that Allan.

Honestly, if my hood were okay i would probably keep it too. Problem is, my hood has patches, on the patches...

So, either i could get a good quality louvered hood from one of the folks on this site OR i could get an OAI. Here is the cost breakdown.

100 dollars for a steel hood (approx what id be willing to pay)
150 shipping (either way)
So thats 250 for a flat steel hood.

500-550 for an OAI in good shape
150 shipping/gas
120 hood lock kit
40 for hood springs
prolly another couple bucks to get it painted. (but i'll paint it myself because i'm rustic i guess)

So... Currently its 250 for a steelie and 750 to 800 for an OAI.

Not sure which way i want to go yet. Price is definitely a factor.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM

If you want to investigate having it picked up here in CT and brought to you.... be my quest. If you find something reasonable I'd be willing to prep it for shipping. Let me know.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

post deleted. PM sent to Tony instead.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue

The seller said it was a W30. The frame and shell from the firewall back was in his barn. The OAI hood, fenders, front bumper, engine etc were in his garage when his house and garage burned to the ground.

See above.

Though it's conjecture, the previous owner said it was all there. Again, no confirmation so.......
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Is the hood and wing still for sale?
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:13 AM

Yes. The hood is $500.00, the wing is $100.00. Pick up only. Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM
KDW

72 hood

I just sent you a message I’m in so cal I need a hood for my 72 my name is Kevin let me know if you still have it. I was in the process of calling the parts place, decided to check some forums and ran across yours...check your in box I left a number to contact me.

Thanks
Kevin
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM

The hood is still available.