Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

OAI hood lock knob

Old December 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM
MOTORHEAD

OAI hood lock ****

If only NOS will do , I have one for you. SOLD!

Last edited by 11971four4two; February 9th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
If only NOS will do , I have one for you. .
I like how that rhymed. Makes me wish i had an OAI Hood...
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
MOTORHEAD

I guess I'm a poet , and didn't even know it

The NOS **** would be the cheapest part of the whole OAI adventure.
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Yeah, i've been reading alot of threads on the quality of the different OAI hoods. Seems it's hard to spend less than 1000 dollars (shipped) and get something of decent quality...
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Yeah, i've been reading alot of threads on the quality of the different OAI hoods. Seems it's hard to spend less than 1000 dollars (shipped) and get something of decent quality...
Hey Tony!
Do you have the number for Parts Place? Give them a shout and ask them how much for the NEW OAI Hood they just put out. Claims to have the proper metal lined bottom with screening. Part number BP1153T

Last time I called them was about a year + ago and they said 'it' was still 'in the works' and pricing 'would likely be the same or around the same as the 70 steel lined hood'. Well, I just sent them an email asking how much, so I hope to hear back in the next week or so....
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Tony!
Do you have the number for Parts Place? Give them a shout and ask them how much for the NEW OAI Hood they just put out. Claims to have the proper metal lined bottom with screening. Part number BP1153T

Last time I called them was about a year + ago and they said 'it' was still 'in the works' and pricing 'would likely be the same or around the same as the 70 steel lined hood'. Well, I just sent them an email asking how much, so I hope to hear back in the next week or so....
Oh great! They have a steel lined one now? I've ordered lots of stuff from them and they're great so far.

if you could keep me in the loop that'd be fantastic.
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
delete

I believe the '70 hood was riveted together instead of bonded. The 1st batch didn't get great reviews. Any word on subsequent runs?
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by droptopron
I believe the '70 hood was riveted together instead of bonded. The 1st batch didn't get great reviews. Any word on subsequent runs?
I think the guy with the best 'intel' would be Patton Glade aka 70Post. He's always looking for the best new parts for these cars. I seem to remember he didn't give the best review to the original 70 hood too. I think (not sure) that PP addressed the hood quality and production issues after they started getting complaints.
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM
MOTORHEAD

Early 2011 Ken bought a 70 pp repro hood. Metal bottom , glass top and riveted together. The cost was under a grand.
When I asked him about it today his only comment was it needed alot of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
w 001.jpg (58.0 KB, 31 views)
w 002.jpg (52.8 KB, 30 views)
w 003.jpg (56.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; December 9th, 2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: update
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Oh great! They have a steel lined one now? I've ordered lots of stuff from them and they're great so far. if you could keep me in the loop that'd be fantastic.
No prob bud! Soon as I hear back from them. Curious to see if they'll reply via email. Sounds like they want to keep the price hush hush because the web page says to 'call' for pricing.
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM

I live about an hour from there, hopefully soon I can go check the hood out in person and let folks know how good it is. Coming from a guy with an absolute mint original hood with no cracks, gouges or anything, those original hoods aren't all that great, I would have puddles on mine after i washed it.
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No prob bud! Soon as I hear back from them. Curious to see if they'll reply via email. Sounds like they want to keep the price hush hush because the web page says to 'call' for pricing.

Got my reply today. That was quick. However it's the answer I thought it would be:
I am so sorry, unfortunately there is still no date on when we can expect to receive those. I have been waiting for good news too!! Sorry
Shocker huh?
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Got my reply today. That was quick. However it's the answer I thought it would be:

Shocker huh?
Woh, really?

My general reaction from a supplier that told me that would be one of the following.

1) they received them and theyre not the quality they had hoped for

2) it overexceeded their expectations and they need to figure out how much they wanna charge for it
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Woh, really?

My general reaction from a supplier that told me that would be one of the following.

1) they received them and theyre not the quality they had hoped for

2) it overexceeded their expectations and they need to figure out how much they wanna charge for it
I don't think it's either of those reasons Tony.
More like they need to get off their a@@ and actually start building them. I've asked them this question at least once a year starting in June of 2009. Each time it's the same: "We're working on it and don't know when it will be ready for production". HUH?? ready for production? That means they have spent the last 3 years in tooling it to get ready for production? I don't think so. In 3 years even I could come up with a product that I could sell. Hmmmm

I'm reading their reply tongue in cheek as:
"Hey moron, can't you see we've got too many ALL fibreglass hoods in stock we need to get rid of first?" They know darn well that if they offered the steel hood they would really lose out on the market they've got for the one they're flogging now.

Maybe they're in a partnership agreement with Thorntons? At one time - back in 2008-2009 - Fusicks had a sweetheart deal with Troy Thornton to sell his hoods for around 1200. Problem was he couldn't produce the quantity they wanted for that price with the molds he was using. Ever try to order one back then? I did and was told I would be added to the waiting list if I prepaid. "How long a wait" I asked. "Don't know" was the answer. Your kidding right? You want me to prepay 1200 and not have any idea when I'll see my product? So I never went with it.

I will not pay thorntons 2500 for their new hood either. By the time it gets here, is fitted and painted that hood will be close to 4000.00 and that's not counting the breather you need for it. Don't have that kind of money to throw around. I know it costs money to develop a mold and production for a limited market. Wonder what kind of price break you'd get - if any - if you ordered 500 OAI hoods? Wonder what Troy's breakevn number is too.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM
MOTORHEAD

Thumbs down repro hood

How did my ad for an NOS hood **** become the repro hood thread?

I will not put a repro hood on my car.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

How did my ad for an NOS hood **** become the repro hood thread? I will not put a repro hood on my car.
Sorry 'bout dat! Kind of evolved as part of the OAI hood lock I guess. My apologies for the jack. OAI stuff is a hot topic for lots of us though...

NOW, Back to the original post. Soooo, did you sell it yet? The only downside I can see is that most guys are looking for 2 of them. Good luck, 'eh'?
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
MOTORHEAD

I still have the advertised ****. Someone stole one from Jim's mom's garage , so when he sold me the NOS stuff I ended up 3 of them. I hoped I would get lucky and someone on CO would need one!

I still have three of them , NOS , make me a reasonable offer and I will ship'em to Canada eh
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I still have the advertised ****. Someone stole one from Jim's mom's garage , so when he sold me the NOS stuff I ended up 3 of them. I hoped I would get lucky and someone on CO would need one!

I still have three of them , NOS , make me a reasonable offer and I will ship'em to Canada eh
Bummer about the theft, not too long ago someone on here was looking for one, but I think Eric (jensenracing77) got him hooked up with a replacement OEM in good shape.

re: the others and shipping to Canada, eh. They would need to be shipped on an OEM OAI hood for 71/72? If you can make that happen, we could probably work something out. That's my downfall right now, I don't have an OAI to use it on. (part of the ^^ highjack where we were discussing the hood availability)
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
MOTORHEAD

If you want to pick an OEM hood up in Minnesota , no shipping , Dan quoted me $4500 for his. Out of my price range , but , it is a real GM hood in good condition.
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you want to pick an OEM hood up in Minnesota , no shipping , Dan quoted me $4500 for his. Out of my price range , but , it is a real GM hood in good condition.
Way out of mine too. But thanks for the thought.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Way out of mine too. But thanks for the thought.
I'm on the same page as Allan, I'd love to put an oem hood on my car. Trouble is, my car didn't come with he w-25 hood. So 600 bucks for a decent repro is probably the bang for my buck that I'm going to go for.

As of now, my current hood is in really bad shape (tree fell on it with previous owner) and people wonder why I paid a thousand bucks for the car 3 years ago.

So, instead of getting a new steel hood, new louvres. It just makes sence for me to save up for an OAI.