Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Vintage State Maps

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Vintage State Maps

I was going through the 1971 Cutlass 4 door I'm parting out and found a metal box under the seat. It had some cool stuff in it like the owners manual and protectoplate. Plus a stack of maps from various states. I'm guessing they're from the early 1970's when the car was fairly new as a couple are dated 1973. I've got dibs on the Oregon one. If anybody is interested in any others, a buck a piece to your door in the lower 48 states. Anyone outside the states that wants one cover the actual shipping. I think they'll fit in a standard sized large envelope. It looks like:

Nevada
Idaho
Idaho/Montana
Western United States (Texaco)
North Dakota/South Dakota (winter spring 1973)
North Dakota/South Dakota
Minnesota
Gold/Copper/Silver, Historical Lander County Nevada
California

P1010208.jpg

P1010213.jpg

P1010212.jpg

P1010211.jpg

P1010210.jpg

P1010209.jpg
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've wondered about the saleability of old maps. I've got a stack of them that I've found in old glove compartments, from the '70s back to the '50s, that I just haven't been able to part with.

- Eric
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:47 PM

Hi Eric
I don't know how much interest there will be in them, but thought I'd offer them up. It might be a nice addition to a car show display. I do have a box full of old maps from here in Oregon, and especially the part of the state I live in. Once in a while at my job I'll need to research the history on a parcel of land, or even a road that we want to use. Its kinda fun to dig back and see what the history was on a specific road. Here on the West coast something that's 150 years old is pretty old. I know on the East coast you have historical records that go back twice that many years! John
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I've wondered about the saleability of old maps.
They're cool, but they're not rare. I see them for sale all the time at antique stores and malls, flea markets, etc. John's asking price of a dollar is about right.

I've got some fun ones, though. I have a complete map of the western half of the U.S. from the early '50s. Route 66 is there in all its glory. The interstate system was just an inkling at that point, and the map includes a few dotted lines showing where some of the proposed highways would go.

What's also interesting is the various routes that have been renumbered or "downgraded" from U.S. highway to state highway, usually with the same route number.
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Here on the West coast something that's 150 years old is pretty old. I know on the East coast you have historical records that go back twice that many years!
Yep. The town I live in was founded in 1643. Our house is 150 years old, and it doesn't merit one of the town's historical nameplates, because it's one of the newer ones.

- Eric
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM

C'mon John - Hoarding all the old Oregon maps? Have you not lived there long enough? Hehe....
I got a few cool vintage maps in an antique mall in Astoria, including an Oregon one you had not snatched up yet...

I would be interested in the Western US one, Cali, and the Texico Tour kit!

Cool find!
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John, they were in that metal box because the PO got a nav system and didn't need them anymore. Hey, I'll trade ya - my Mrs. has about a doz old maps of the provinces stuck in the door pouches of her car... and won't get rid of them. She hates the voice on my Garmin Nuvi so she won't use it. She wants me to download the 'man's voice'

BTW, haven't forgot about you. Pls LMK when you get another 70-72 with a good PS inner liner ok? I don't care if it's dirty - I have to restore it anyway. Just need all the mounting holes good. I have new liner flaps to install. I'm going to pass on the one that has the extra holes and AC rub marks. thx
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Randy C.

Those "old" maps are neat but I've already collected my share. I have an "old" State Farm Road Atlas (about 1957) and a Gousha American Highway Atlas (1959) that are real fun to look through. It's amazing how few freeways there were just 50 years ago.

A great book to read is titled "American Road" by Pete Davies. It's the story of the very first motorized convoy across the USA in 1919 - one of our Presidents (DDE) was a first lieutenant on that cross-country transit that took 2 months to complete.

Old maps are fun. If you don't already have one for your state and John has it, make him an offer! They give a great look into our transportation past.

Randy C.