Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

-THREE- 1966 L69 Tri Carb setups - Local Craigslist ad

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Ben

-THREE- 1966 L69 Tri Carb setups - Local Craigslist ad

Local guy posed this add on craigslist... http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/2616119753.html

1966 442 tripower $1200
Call for photos 206-391-9575

I called him... Tuns out he's got 3 different setups.

$1200 just the bare L69 intake
$1800 intake & 3 carbs
$5800 Fully restored setup w/ lines, linkages, Numbed & Taged carbs & correct fuel filter & Bracket.

He's supposed to e-mail me pics of them- I'll post them when I recieve them.
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM

are these rare? i don't know much about them but $5800 sounds a bit steep to me but then again I have no knowledge on the subject matter
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Tri-carb setup

Originally Posted by DreWRoolZ
are these rare? i don't know much about them but $5800 sounds a bit steep to me but then again I have no knowledge on the subject matter
Maybe be a little high - but if its all show quality and has all the right numbers, tags, original lines, fuel filter, brackets, and fill tube. Like EVERYTHING with NOTHING missing or REPOPPED, then it might be worth considering if you are attemptint a really correct restoration and also want it to be a "bolt-on and run" unit!!
I've seen one all complete and correct go for 5200 almost 3 years ago!
So, like someone once said --- its "buyer beware"!!
T.
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM

In my opinion, 5200 would be a reasonable price for a L69 manifold complete with carbs, linkage, fuel bowl and fuel lines provided it was the AZ code, and not the AU. I have considerably more into mine than that!
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 442garage
In my opinion, 5200 would be a reasonable price for a L69 manifold complete with carbs, linkage, fuel bowl and fuel lines provided it was the AZ code, and not the AU. I have considerably more into mine than that!
I never heard about any difference in the AZ and AU codes? Can you fill us in? Is one a production unit and the other over-the-counter unit?
Anyway I agree that if someone is really serious about getting a setup -- they should consider this unit at the price because, like you, they will have that much into it if they have to have all that work done to completely restore an set-up!!
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Ben

he sent me a couple low res pics on my phone of the bare intake and the 2nd one w/ just carbs. another pic of a nicely painted intake w/o carbs, leads me to beleive that must be the restored one and he has the carbs & peices stored elsewhere. All 3 appear to be in nice wood crates.

He is going to have a hard time getting any money w/o better photos though.

Wish i had some extra cash though, i'd try and snag the bare intake.
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Ben

the bare ($1200) one IS the AU code.

I cannot see the codes in the pics of the other two manifolds
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Ben

Attached are the pics I got from the guy.

Looks like the bare intake is a AU casting & the "nice" intake is an AZ. No idea what the 3rd intake is.

Pics don't show the rest of the "nice" setup of correct stuff. I beleive the intake shown w/ carbs shown is the $1800 one... I would assume the carbs on it are not original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tricarb1-1.jpg (62.8 KB, 142 views)
tricarb1-2.jpg (31.6 KB, 137 views)
tricarb2-1.jpg (38.5 KB, 137 views)
tricarb3-1.jpg (66.8 KB, 142 views)
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM

What's wrong with an AU intake? The 3 different codes are AL,AU & AZ and the AL being the first design and used for a very short period of time. The problem with the AL was a weak flange area for the center carb which was corrected with the AU intake. I can guarantee you there is no design problem starting with the AU continuing on to the AZ. Just as with the 66 B heads,they made a design change late in the year and added a -1 to the casting #. Some call them the W 30 head because the 66 W 30 cars came with them but so did small valve Delta's with 425's.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM

AL and AU have the smaller carb pad for the center car, and you can get a vacuum leak because of the passage in the base of the carb. AL has a pedestal for the ignition coil at the passenger side rear. So, the third photo is either AU or AZ.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:53 PM

The AZ manifold is the best casting. An Olds service guild bulletin described using Permatex #1 on the carb mounting gaskets with the earlier (AL, AU) castings because they did not seal the vacuum port under the center carb. the AZ has a bigger carb base for the center carb to cure the problem.
This is a quote from one of Run to Rund's posts, I couldn't articulate this any more clearly! I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops, but this information I believe to be factual and is what I choose to subscribe to!

Last edited by 442garage; September 26th, 2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:05 AM

The AZ manifold is the best casting. An Olds service guild bulletin described using Permatex #1 on the carb mounting gaskets with the earlier (AL, AU) castings because they did not seal the vacuum port under the center carb. the AZ has a bigger carb base for the center carb to cure the problem.
This is a quote from one of Run to Rund's posts, I couldn't articulate this any more clearly! I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops, but this information I believe to be factual and is what I choose to subscribe to!
No doubt the AZ is the best casting but the other two will work just fine. Wanna know why?because I have actually used them with no problems and not because Dad said they were junk.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; September 27th, 2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Glad I got my AZ when I did. Saved quite a few bucks back in 93
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
No doubt the AZ is the best casting but the other two will work just fine. Wanna know why?because I have actually used them with no problems and not because Dad said they were junk.
I'm glad that you have used them, (AU & AL) & they worked for you! I don't feel the need to defend my position, any longer. Have a nice day!
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I'm glad that you have used them, (AU & AL) & they worked for you! I don't feel the need to defend my position, any longer. Have a nice day!
What's your problem? when I was talking about Dad,it was Run to Rund I was talking to. You can cop an attitude all you want but knocking AL & AU intakes just because you may or may not have an AZ was garbage. Wait,on second thought, I'm going out to my shop and throw my AL and AU intakes ( I have several) in the scrap pile because they're junk. By the way,my 66 400 made 411 HP & 476 #'s of torque on the dyno with 9.5 CR and a junk AU intake. Now you too have a nice day.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM

What's your problem? when I was talking about Dad,it was Run to Rund I was talking to. You can cop an attitude all you want but knocking AL & AU intakes just because you may or may not have an AZ was garbage. Wait,on second thought, I'm going out to my shop and throw my AL and AU intakes ( I have several) in the scrap pile because they're junk. By the way,my 66 400 made 411 HP & 476 #'s of torque on the dyno with 9.5 CR and a junk AU intake. Now you too have a nice day.
Dang Pork Chop! If yur a-tossin' em out? Hows about tossin one my way? I think I can find a tube of permatex to 'fix its woes with"? LOL! I'll bet even old DAD would take one too!!
411HP? Musta had a "sissy" cam in it? Maybe that old AU was holdin it back for ya'all? LMAO!!
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Dang Pork Chop! If yur a-tossin' em out? Hows about tossin one my way? I think I can find a tube of permatex to 'fix its woes with"? LOL! I'll bet even old DAD would take one too!!
411HP? Musta had a "sissy" cam in it? Maybe that old AU was holdin it back for ya'all? LMAO!!
Naw,not a real big cam @ all. It's Comp Cams Muscle & More cam shaft that still has great vacuum. Gotta remember,it's a 9.5 CR pump gas motor,stock valve train etc. I was very well pleased with the dyno session we did. I could have jetted it up some but didn't have any jets with me. I'm sure it was the AU intake holding it back,if it had the new and improved AZ intake,it might have made 412 HP.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Geez, you kids like to complain, lol. As the old guy, 2 years older than the pork chop, I remember when stock and super stock racers used two pcv valves with stiff wall hose to get more air. Here Olds did the same kind of thing back in 66. Now there will be "enhanced" value to the AL and AU intakes. . .
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Mike,
Please explain to me how you can interpret what I said as copping an attitude. I don't ever devalue any individual, I stated my preference based on what I feel is true. I said what I said because you seemed to take issue with my preference for that particular manifold, that is within my right to do so. You can express your preference about the manifolds you have used without turning this into a pissing match, can't you?
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:29 AM

Mike,
Please explain to me how you can interpret what I said as copping an attitude. I don't ever devalue any individual, I stated my preference based on what I feel is true. I said what I said because you seemed to take issue with my preference for that particular manifold, that is within my right to do so. You can express your preference about the manifolds you have used without turning this into a pissing match, can't you?

I don't have a preference between the manifolds,they're all good to me. In my case,I have a fully documented 66 442 3X2 Sport Coupe 1 of 383 built that has a 02D build date. It came with the AU intake,what do I do,put a AZ on it because they made a design change? You just made it sound like anything other than an AZ was not worth as much and my point is,they're worth the same. In the 30 + years I've been dealing in 66 tripowers,I've never had a problem with any of them,they all work great if properly set up. Enjoy your tripower and
I'm not trying to get in to a pi$$ing match either,end of story.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; September 28th, 2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:03 PM

I don't have a preference between the manifolds,they're all good to me. In my case,I have a fully documented 66 442 3X2 Sport Coupe 1 of 383 built that has a 02D build date. It came with the AU intake,what do I do,put a AZ on it because they made a design change? You just made it sound like anything other than an AZ was not worth as much and my point is,they're worth the same. In the 30 + years I've been dealing in 66 tripowers,I've never had a problem with any of them,they all work great if properly set up. Enjoy your tripower and
I'm not trying to get in to a pi$$ing match either,end of story.

Mike I am really working hard here to try and buy one of those tripower setups you have. Obviously the AU,AZ code thing I will leave up to you and you send me which one would have been used for my build date on my car. There is a junk (WELL i MEAN ROUGH AS i WORSHIP l69'S)66 L69 hiding away in the woods under a tarp and on concrete slab near my hometown and I grew up with the owners kids some 25 years ago. I spoke to him yesterday and it appears he is ready to finally let the car go and he assured me its going to me. Only problem is that he sold the whole tri carb setup over 10 years ago. I believe its a 01D build date but I will check and confirm. I will be in touch, my other 66 is on the back burner till I can get the L69.
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Geez, you kids like to complain, lol. As the old guy, 2 years older than the pork chop, I remember when stock and super stock racers used two pcv valves with stiff wall hose to get more air. Here Olds did the same kind of thing back in 66. Now there will be "enhanced" value to the AL and AU intakes. . .

This is what really made me scratch my head. Reason for the valve cover thread
I could not see the dual PCV working. And then the chrome valve covers came my way......

happy motoring