Fire damage to paint or not to paint

Old August 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Fire damage to paint or not to paint

There has been some discussion on this thread about painting a car that has had a fire. I've also received some p.m. s that say it can be done if the proper prep work it done.

I'd like to hear from you pro painters out there how you have seen it done correctly or don't even try.

I haven't made up my mind what to next and I am still waiting on the adjuster to tell me a] They'll fix it or b] the salvage value is $$$$

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-you-sick.html

Thanks, It greatly helps to have all the knowledge you can before making major decissions.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I don't see why it would be a problem. The dealership I used to work at had a body shop and painted at least 3 vehicles with fire damage in the 7 years I was there. The damaged panels were soda blasted and then treated like regular panels.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Two things cause fire panels to peel. Smoke and rust in the pores of the metal. Remove both and you will have NO problem with peeling.

Iv been in the body buisness for 27 years now, and I will tell you that if the burned metal is sand blasted then immediatly sanded and coated with an epoxy etch prime, you will not have any peel problems. The peel problems occur when the metal is not properly preped and the pores of the metal were not cleaned out with a blasting abrasive, weather it be sand, aluminum oxide or glass. Plastic Media will not do the trick because it doesnt clean the metal, just takes paint off.
Old June 13th, 2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by WTony
Two things cause fire panels to peel. Smoke and rust in the pores of the metal. Remove both and you will have NO problem with peeling.

Iv been in the body buisness for 27 years now, and I will tell you that if the burned metal is sand blasted then immediatly sanded and coated with an epoxy etch prime, you will not have any peel problems. The peel problems occur when the metal is not properly preped and the pores of the metal were not cleaned out with a blasting abrasive, weather it be sand, aluminum oxide or glass. Plastic Media will not do the trick because it doesnt clean the metal, just takes paint off.
How do you remove the smoke damage? The car I am repairing has smoke damage to the paint, mainly the clear coat. I have not found a solvent to remove the discoloration in the clear coat and I would like to remove the smoke (soot) from the paint before I do anything else. This is my first 'paint job' so I can use any help. Thanks.