What's the deal with the 77 era high pressure power steering lines?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2016, 07:48 PM

What's the deal with the 77 era high pressure power steering lines?

Putting power steering pump on a buddies 77 for him. The lines are shot. Everything that I look at for the high pressure side is not the right line. Ordered one from AutoZone... not even close... everybody else shows the same line although I did find one place that showed two different lines with or without an air pump. Car does not have an air pump, but neither one of those appear to be correct either. I can't seem to find the right line. The only thing that might be close is that the parts place shows that have some water original OEM but even that doesn't look right. The line comes out of the gearbox loops around the front above the stabilizer bar and then pops into the back of the pump with 180 degree Loop. I can't find this line anywhere.... anyone have any clue what the deal is with these? I'm ready just to toss the one on I got to see if it'll fit but before I did I thought I'd ask here.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:30 AM

Not sure what the deal is, but everything I could find matched your new hose until I looked up a 1980 Cutlass.
Check this out...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...-pressure+line

Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:31 AM

Except......I think your old one has flared ends where this one uses o-rings....damn it. And I thought I was being oh-so smart.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:45 AM

You may have to get hoses made at a local hydraulics shop. They should be able to hook you up.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
Not sure what the deal is, but everything I could find matched your new hose until I looked up a 1980 Cutlass.
Check this out...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...-pressure+line

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to search that. That's really odd that a 1980 would be the right line since that's a whole different body? For what it's worth, the new line that I have now and the one that everyone shows for a 77 also came with o rings but I don't think you use them. I'm not quite sure why they come with because they're just flanged fittings. that hose you show sure looks correct.... I may try it. Unless he's always go on the backside of the flanges but I didn't think they did. Hard to tell because the originals are so shot I had to cut them but I sure didn't find any o rings anywhere
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:11 AM

If they are flared they don't use o-rings.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
If they are flared they don't use o-rings.
Right, but if they are not flaired, can the O rings be used and attached to the pump and gearbox. Have not tried yet, still trying to locate the right line. My local NAPA is going to bring in the 80 line, but that line is not flaired and on closer inspection I don't think it has the same bends, but better than the other line I have that everyone else shows for the 77
Old August 8th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You may have to get hoses made at a local hydraulics shop. They should be able to hook you up.
I think this is the route I'm going to have to end up going. Nothing I found so far works. I have bought and returned 4 lines so far