Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Newbie with a pair of 65 Starfires

Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
mmmm, starfires

Newbie with a pair of 65 Starfires

Hey guys. Name is Justin, and I live in Virginia.

My first Starfire I purchase from my dad. Its blue, with a fresh blue interior. 425, th400, 3.23 posi rear. air conditioning and power brakes.
sf6_zpscd2a76f0.jpg
sf7_zps778a6d3d.jpg
sf8_zps8676a293.jpg

The second is a 65 convertible I just recently purchased and hope to have in my posession in a few days! I plan on taking both cars to the OCA show next week. This car is red with white top and interior. All original with 41k miles. 425, th400, not sure of the gears. Has AC, power windows, and a bunch of other stuff. Will know more next week.

IMG_41483904012765_zps91e4fdbd.jpg
sf2_zpseb00de4b.jpg
sf4_zps0e0053d9.jpg
sf5_zps18f7468e.jpg

I'm always looking for parts. Just sent a carb to Sparky for the blue car. Look at that magic he was able to pull off...this is incredible!

b44_zps1642661a.jpg
b42_zpsd87f8615.jpg
b41_zps4bfd67f7.jpg
b45_zpsbe9bf9d5.jpg
b43_zpsb014b323.jpg
b46_zpsaa40109b.jpg
a3_zps0046ed0d.jpg
a1_zps4e5ada6d.jpg
a7_zps9e768645.jpg
a6_zps67ace27e.jpga4_zps13358b32.jpg
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM

Nice cars, and a fine job on the carb by Sparky. I believe that the red one was discussed here, a week or so ago.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:35 AM
Oldsdruid

Handsome pair. Is the red one one of Mark Haberkorn's cars? know he was cleaing house a while back.

Great job on the blue interior. Most 65 owners don't duplicate the pattern because it costs so much.

An airconditioned 65 will probably have 3.23 gearing but possibly 3.42. These WERE performance cars after all.

I have a pile of bolt-on caps I'll never use since finding the wheels has been elusive. Let me know if you want any spares, I'll let 'em go cheap. Where'bouts are you in VA? I'm down on the southern border near South Boston.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:37 AM
mmmm, starfires

I don't know who mark haberkorn is....this car was on ebay. Guess it belonged to a Dr that had a bunch of cars before he passed.

I'm at smith mountain lake!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Sweet cars, welcome to the site.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:16 AM

Beautiful cars Justin! Welcome to the forum!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:58 AM

Welcome, those are two beautiful Big Oldsmobiles!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:09 AM
Oldsdruid

FL plates made me think of Mark.

There was a doctor in Wilmington NC who had a bare-bones black/silver 4-speed 65- didn't even have backup lamps, it had the stainless blank-off plates. I don't think it even had power steering.

I'd heard Sparky was doing 4GC's now. Awesome job on that one. Finicky as 4GC's can be, I'd have probably dumped that one in the scrap pile.

Lot of SML folks come down to Chatham cruise-in fourth Saturday of every month, which is this weekend. I'm not sure how my weekend plans will go yet but weathercast shows good for Saturday if you wanna bring one of them down.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM
mmmm, starfires

Not sure what my plans are. May bring the blue one down...red one won't be here yet

Never been to the Chatham show but I hear its amazing!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
mmmm, starfires

and yes I agree that carb was ROUGH but it took me 2 years to find the proper one, so I snatched it up.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:26 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by justintiime
Hey guys. Name is Justin, and I live in Virginia.
I plan on taking both cars to the OCA show next week. This car is red with white top and interior.
Hi Justin. Nice Starfires! I'll be parking with you at the Nats. I have a '65 Jetstar 1, a red & white cousin to the Convert you're getting.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
There was a doctor in Wilmington NC who had a bare-bones black/silver 4-speed 65- didn't even have backup lamps, it had the stainless blank-off plates. I don't think it even had power steering.
That would be pretty cool, Glenn. (The '65 Starfires had ps and pb standard, though)

and yes I agree that carb was ROUGH but it took me 2 years to find the proper one, so I snatched it up.
I'm surprised you had that much trouble finding one. There were only 3 carbs for the 4-bbl 425s in '65. One non-A/C, and an early and late A/C.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:28 PM
mmmm, starfires

Only my blue car is registered for nationals. If I get the red one there I hope I can park it at the show
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
swat455

don't forget that hemmings muscle just had an article on our 65-66 starfires order yourself 1 so you can sport it at the show
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Oldsdruid

Kurt, that black car was at the 1990 Columbus meet and was stunning everyone at how stripped-down it was. I knew PS/PB were standard too, but wondered if someone had pulled strings to get that car built that way. It was certainly not what you would think of when you think Starfire.

Justin- I don't know how they have the showfield laid out this year. Last time we were in Cincy things were kinda spread out and there may not be much extra room for an unregistered car. Speaking as a past Nationals show chairman I know how hairy placing extra cars can be. I'd double check to see if they have room before taking the car all the way up there.

At the Centennial in 97 I had registered the Toronado and two days before we were to leave it split a CV joint boot. Couldn't get it repaired in time so at the last minute the Ninety Eight got pressed into service. When I got to my showfield space, there was this big blue Ninety Eight sitting in a field full of Toronados... normally I don't get too stressed over things like that, but I sure did feel out of place.
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:54 AM
mmmm, starfires

I need to find my registration packet. It has all the contact info on it to ask about a second car.

I'm in the POCI for all my Pontiacs. They would warmly welcome a second car, just not likely to put it in with the show/points judged cars. They would probably park it in a different section.
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:54 AM
mmmm, starfires

My father flew down to Bradenton, FL yesterday and looked at the red convertible. He said literally everything works minus the AC as stated in the auction. 41k actual miles, and it shows. looks like it has good power!

burn_zps6f6db79b.jpg
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:28 AM

My father flew down to Bradenton, FL yesterday and looked at the red convertible. He said literally everything works minus the AC as stated in the auction. 41k actual miles, and it shows. looks like it has good power!

GREAT picture!
Old July 28th, 2014, 05:26 AM
mmmm, starfires

haha yeah I thought so too.

I guess my father got the AC fixed in the car with a new fuse, and a fresh charge. He said he needed it because Florida is killer right now.

Also he is battling a bad thermostat housing. I guess one of the nipples on the housing is corroded to the point the clamp can't latch on well enough, and the heater hose keeps coming off. He has a new one on order with Autozone. Crossing fingers they get the correct one, and he should be on the road today.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:00 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by wmachine
Hi Justin. Nice Starfires! I'll be parking with you at the Nats. I have a '65 Jetstar 1, a red & white cousin to the Convert you're getting.

That would be pretty cool, Glenn. (The '65 Starfires had ps and pb standard, though)

I'm surprised you had that much trouble finding one. There were only 3 carbs for the 4-bbl 425s in '65. One non-A/C, and an early and late A/C.
nice meeting you this weekend! really love your car too. I ended up getting a third place despite having a spiteful judge. he was just mad I outbid him on ebay

I got 4 new tires and a coolant flush on the car today. here goes to a safe return trip. with NO blowouts this time. controlling this barge with a flat rear tire was scary.
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Trying to remember member

nice meeting you this weekend! really love your car too. I ended up getting a third place despite having a spiteful judge. he was just mad I outbid him on ebay

I got 4 new tires and a coolant flush on the car today. here goes to a safe return trip. with NO blowouts this time. controlling this barge with a flat rear tire was scary.
Nice to meet you and your dad there, Justin. Hope all went much better for you going home.
How did you do with the judging?
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:50 AM

I enjoyed meet you and your dad at the nationals, hope you made it home without any problems
Steve
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Like many others, I watched the red '65 sell on eBay. Looks like you got it for a good price. Glad to see you are a fellow member of the forum. Check out my red '64 Starfire when you have the time.

I have the original 4GC for the car, but am currently running an AFB that I like a lot better. I made a prototype bracket to accomodate the Jim linkage and it works well enough.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:04 AM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by wmachine
Nice to meet you and your dad there, Justin. Hope all went much better for you going home.
How did you do with the judging?
The trip home was just fine. 4 new tires and a coolant flush at pep boys, plus a LOT of gasoline. We made it home in about 8 hours. I didn't want to push it much over 60mph. Its an old car that has hardly been driven
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:05 AM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I enjoyed meet you and your dad at the nationals, hope you made it home without any problems
Steve
Nice meeting you too! Trip home was easy and uneventful. I think my dad enjoyed driving both cars to/from the show as much as the show itself!
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:32 PM
"me somebody" site member

That red car is gaw-jus!
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:27 AM
mmmm, starfires

thanks..I like it too! Its at the shop now getting some maintenance stuff attended to like:

-new fan clutch
-full tune up
-oil change
-patch exhaust leak
-axle oil changed
-fix the brakes (they pull bad)

I'll probably think of some other stuff. My plan is to have everything done by the time I put it up for the winter, so it will be 100%ready for the spring
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM

thanks..I like it too! Its at the shop now getting some maintenance stuff attended to like:

-fix the brakes (they pull bad)

I'll probably think of some other stuff. My plan is to have everything done by the time I put it up for the winter, so it will be 100%ready for the spring
================================================== ====
I have found in almost every case that a bad front brake pull (that is not due to shoe adjustment) is due to clogged steel lines and clogged or collapsed flexible hoses (from lines to wheel cylinder).

Flush the steel lines out with copious amounts of fresh brake fluid and replace the flex hoses. Bleed the brakes and adjust the shoes and your pulling issue should be gone.

Would not hurt to check your wheel cylinders for leaks while you are at it.

Last edited by Oldsmobomb; August 27th, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:15 PM
mmmm, starfires

I have all new rubber hoses and wheel cylinders to go on. As well as a brake flush.

I had to do all the same stuff with my 67 Catalina. Rubber parts just go bad from age. And when it comes to brakes (especially drums) I just replace, replace, replace! I don't short change anything.

If it helps anything, the brakes start to get hot and stink pretty soon after application of the brake pedal.
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:14 PM

Hi Justin
really love those 65 starfires,we just bought a hardtop,convertible within the yearish,
both red with black interior,they are nice drivers ,yours look to be over the top,super nice
I will bet people pull over, when they see those starfires rolling down the road!
when I get use to navigating on this site I will post pictures
marc
Old September 29th, 2014, 03:25 AM
mmmm, starfires

I look forward to seeing the pictures marc!
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:40 AM
mmmm, starfires

red car is at the upholstery shop now. Last time I put the top up/down for the season, it moved REAL slow. Apparently the seller on ebay doctored up the hydraulics with fresh fluid so the top "worked" until it all leaked out again.

Its to be expected, I guess.

Anyway, I'm getting a new pump, hyrdraulics, and lines installed. Do it once, never have to worry about it again. I hope lol
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:58 AM

Just wanted to post that both are gorgeous cars! Awesome job on the carb restoration. I assume it is a 4GC? BTW, Dad couldn't resist a burnout I see. LOL
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM
mmmm, starfires

thanks for the compliments!