Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

65 starfire

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2017, 04:43 PM

65 starfire

hi all, was looking for some input on what would be a good intake and carb, for an up grade ,I really like the qaudrajet carbs, but it seems like I would have to go with a 66 starfire intake to acomplish this. also would this improve my performance, or do you think I am wasting my time,that I am good where I am , thanks very much for the help in this subject , will.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by willj
hi all, was looking for some input on what would be a good intake and carb, for an up grade ,I really like the qaudrajet carbs, but it seems like I would have to go with a 66 starfire intake to acomplish this. also would this improve my performance, or do you think I am wasting my time,that I am good where I am , thanks very much for the help in this subject , will.
An Edelbrock carb will bolt to your original intake. Alternately, any 455 intake will bolt to your 425. The Performer is always a good choice for a stock-ish motor in a heavy car.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:37 AM

65 stafire

appreciate the reply. will
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:21 AM

Don't rule out a Holley, especially if you put an aftermarket intake in your Starfire. It's just like asking an opinion on what motor oil to use, every one has different thoughts.

FWIW, I run a Summit 750 cfm carburetor on my 455. It's a clone of a Holley 4010 (which is actually a clone of a Motorcraft 4100). They are cheaper than a Street Avenger or Performer but still use Holley parts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...50vs/overview/
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Personally I find Holley (and Holley clone) carbs to be good W.O.T. carbs for building horsepower but their low speed performance pales in comparison to the E-brock and definitely the Qjet. The latter two carbs are much more sophisticated and have a much more precise primary metering system. This added complexity is why they can be more difficult to rebuild and set up properly, but there are definite rewards if you take the time to do it right, especially on a heavy, street driven car.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:04 PM

65 starfire

thanks again for all the helpful input, will.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Personally I find Holley (and Holley clone) carbs to be good W.O.T. carbs for building horsepower but their low speed performance pales in comparison to the E-brock and definitely the Qjet.
I've met folks that use Holleys for racing and high performance.

I had an Edelbrock Performer for a short while on my 64 98 and it worked straight out of the box with virtually no tinkering. It was very streetable. The Slim Jim was just a POS even when the throttle valve was setup correctly.

Oldsguy had a Holley double pumper on his 69 Delta 88 for awhile. We could never get it to run quite right, even after a rebuild. I think we went back to a Q-jet.

All that being said I still like my Summit carb. One of these days I might swap for an EFI system.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Oldsguy had a Holley double pumper on his 69 Delta 88 for awhile. We could never get it to run quite right, even after a rebuild. I think we went back to a Q-jet.
Possibly the worst Holley choice for a heavy full size. If one MUST have a Holley, at least use a vac secondary carb in this application.