Non-Oldsmobile Classified Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Wanted: Cheap and drivable car, Las Vegas area

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2017, 06:32 AM

Wanted: Cheap and drivable car, Las Vegas area

I have an internship from the end of January until mid-April in Las Vegas, and I need a car to get from where I will be living to where I am going to work.

I don't live in the US, so I don't have a car over there.

Cars don't have to be dirt-cheap, but resale value has to be decent.

I will be parking on the street and driving to CA and AZ several times during my stay.

I would also be more than glad to rent a car from someone, and will of course have the required insurance.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:19 PM

Check out this one!

http://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/5911784210.html

The price isn't hateful. Plus, those 3.8L V6s are some of the best engines GM made.
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Wow, that's not bad at all!
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Hookers under Hood

Sounds like a good price, Looks like a Dodge steering wheel??? I agree those 3.6L were amazing engines.
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Administrator

You should be able to buy a hooptie from a private individual off craigslist when you get there.
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5943105630.html
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 76olds
Sounds like a good price, Looks like a Dodge steering wheel??? I agree those 3.6L were amazing engines.
For $2,500 you could get a much nicer BMW.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/searc...searchNearby=2

$2,700:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5954175567.html

$2,300:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5922844986.html

$2,450:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5891248008.html

$2,300:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5936797956.html

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:54 AM

Why are the BMWs selling so cheaply? The miles?

OTOH, the resale value is unlikely to get any lower - but the market is flooded, meaning that sales times are long, unless I price to sell.
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I can't say why their values are where they are, but they just are.

I ASSume that in the world of supply and demand for used cars, that there are fewer people looking for an old BMW as a beater than for an old American car, possibly because they (incorrectly) believe that they are expensive to maintain, but I don't really know.

Look at it this way: a good-running, cosmetically acceptable 1990s BMW in Germany is junk, and will be crushed, because their inspection system requires so much at that age that it's not worth the price, so the fact that they have any value at all in the US could be seen as amazing.

As for resale, unless you can get a relative to sell the car for you and send you the money, you will be pressed for time when you want to sell, and therefore will probably need to price the car low. You can chalk that price difference up to the cost of using the car. A rental would have cost more. Since you will be working with car guys all day, every day, though, you may well be able to have the car sold to one of them on the day you leave, if the car is good and is interesting to car guys (like a BMW).

Also, you may wish to check with someone in Nevada, but I see no requirement that a person who owns a car with "Classic" plates own another car with "normal" plates, and I see no use or mileage restrictions. If this is the case, you may benefit from buying a car 25 years old or older.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; January 14th, 2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:41 AM

It can also be assumed, now that I think about, that the guys that DO know how to maintain an old car in the US are typically US car guys (that's what they grew up with) and will thus shy away from a BMW.

I have relatives in the area that could park the car on their lot and await a good buyer. Then I price optimistically and lower the price as time goes by and nobody buys it. It's also possible I could put it up for sale immediately, with the clause that it won't be available until I leave the country.
In any case (selling to strangers or selling to colleagues), buying a GOOD car is wiser, because that ensures that I get (almost) all my money back in the resale.

Yes, rental cars are much more expensive. At least $1000 for 40 days, meaning that the expenses would be $2000 for rental alone.

There's a miles restriction for classic cars (5000) - if they exceed this, they need a smog tag. That's all.
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Seff
It can also be assumed, now that I think about, that the guys that DO know how to maintain an old car in the US are typically US car guys (that's what they grew up with) and will thus shy away from a BMW.
I would agree with this.

Older German cars have fewer people interested in them than older American cars, with slight intersection between the two groups.

Older Japanese cars have no collector interest that I can discern, aside from the "fart can and fin kids," who make them look stupid and drive around like nuts.

I have relatives in the area that could park the car on their lot and await a good buyer. Then I price optimistically and lower the price as time goes by and nobody buys it. It's also possible I could put it up for sale immediately, with the clause that it won't be available until I leave the country.
In any case (selling to strangers or selling to colleagues), buying a GOOD car is wiser, because that ensures that I get (almost) all my money back in the resale.
Most people would not want to commit to buying a car that someone else was going to use for a while first, just because a lot of things could happen to it before they actually get it.

Aside from that, note that if you work with someone who knows cars, and he sees you show up every day in the same car, thus indicating that it runs well, and he happens to like it, that may be a good market.

Plus, if it blows up after you sell it, you'll be out of the country.

There's a miles restriction for classic cars (5000) - if they exceed this, they need a smog tag. That's all.
The average person in the US drives about 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year, so depending on the exact way of proving mileage, you may be able to do this.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:03 AM

I agree on the car enthusiast demographic.

You're also entirely right about all three points about selling.

I cover half those miles over here. That's impressive.

This might be a good flip sale...
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5942124745.html
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I cover half those miles over here. That's impressive.
I put 40,000 miles (over 64,000 km) on my car last year.

This might be a good flip sale...
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5942124745.html

Yes, depending on its condition, it might be perfect.

I drove one of those cross country once:

Good car.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CCI00020_4.jpg (1.53 MB, 115 views)
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:19 AM

That's an impressive amount of miles. Long work commute?

That 72 is very plain Jane, it has the original single exhaust, though it's a V8. From what I can tell it's missing the trunk lid lip trim, and the trunk lock. Maybe I'll spend a few days junkyard hunting for those parts...
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's an impressive amount of miles. Long work commute?
It was 180 miles (290 km) round trip. At 80-90mph. Annoying.

That 72 is very plain Jane, it has the original single exhaust, though it's a V8. From what I can tell it's missing the trunk lid lip trim, and the trunk lock. Maybe I'll spend a few days junkyard hunting for those parts...
Plain is better. Less to go wrong.

It's probably got a Buick 350 with a Rochester 2-Jet carb. It's a surprisingly peppy motor considering it's low compression.

Remember that essentially all used car deals in the US are conducted in cash on the spot, usually without the ability to hold a car until you see it (he who arrives with cash first gets car, no matter what "promises" have been made), so if you want to buy something before you arrive, you'll have to have a relative whose mechanical judgement you can trust make the deal for you.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:33 AM

Gotcha. My uncle is 66 and has done the maintenance on his own cars since he was 16 (starting with a 1961 Ford Something-Or-Other). That being said, I still want to look it over in person. Cash is not hard to get perse, but I'm wary of carrying around $3000+ dollars for a week. Best to see the car, go to a bank, and come back with the cash, I think.

350 2 barrel is just fine, I'm not expecting a race car. Do the Buick guys go wild for 4 BBL and HEI conversions like the Olds guys do? Might be an easy way to fluff up the car for resale.
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... I'm wary of carrying around $3000+ dollars for a week. Best to see the car, go to a bank, and come back with the cash, I think.
You can do it that way, but I think you'll find that most serious "car guys" in the US walk around with that much cash on a normal day anyway, "just in case."

Actually, that'd be an interesting survey to do here...

If you've got a lot of cash on you, the only one who knows is you, and if you don't like the environment as you walk in, you can always leave.

Also, depending on your inclination, you could always borrow a gun from your relatives and strap it on - it's legal in Nevada, or have a relative with a permit come along with their gun concealed Personally, I think that carrying a gun in the open creates a large tactical disadvantage, and I won't do it, but the fact is that in practice, it usually keeps everyone but the "very bad" honest.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:58 AM

Serious car guys indeed. But, it's hard to argue with a guy when he's waiving the money in your face. It's a known bargaining tactic.

Yeah, open carry isn't THAT much of an advantage, but it's better than nothing.

Given that I'm not landing in LV for another six days, I'm not going to call the guy yet. I'll just check CL for cars and go for the one that seems most sensible to start with. Quite possibly bringing cash along with me.
Old January 14th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The other thing I just thought of: In the US, cash machines and bank accounts (when using cash machines) generally have withdrawal limits, both per transaction and per day, which can be from $200 to $2,000 a day, so you can't rely on just being able to grab a few grand if you need it.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 09:54 AM

That's a good point. My credit cards even have a 30-day limit.

But you can usually withdraw within the limit of the card when you go into the bank. I did that once, at least.

Last point: I'll be parking on the street, in a quiet neighborhood. Should I be worried with a ragtop?
Old January 14th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Last point: I'll be parking on the street, in a quiet neighborhood. Should I be worried with a ragtop?
I can't speak for the West, but, not in my experience, in the 21st Century.

Back in the '80s, yes, kids would slash tops all the time. I have not heard of it as any kind of a problem recently, though. I've even parked a BMW convertible on the street in Manhattan without worrying.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 10:02 AM

That's fair, as long as it isn't a huge no-no.

I will keep you updated.
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:43 PM
MOTORHEAD

mmmoped

2000 buick full size
LE
$300
Old January 15th, 2017, 01:11 AM

Where? Who?
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:13 PM

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5924614632.html

Do these have any resale value? The Skylark convertible was long gone.
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Do these have any resale value?
Yes, absolutely... For somewhere between $1,000 and $1,800.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...tra-value.html

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:38 PM

That's a baaaad trade, then. :P But that's a good website! Thank you!
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, values of less-traded (less desirable) cars are hard to determine, because there are just very few established data points (and asking prices on Craigslist or eBay have no relation to actual selling prices), but in my opinion, the prices on CCMR are as close as you can get to accurate. Some other sites seem to disproportionately rely on data from big auctions of over-restored cars, which can skew them above the level of common sense.

Remember, according to the Condition Guide, that car may barely be a #4, but there's no way it's a #3.
You can find versions of the guide, with slightly different wording, at many other car sites, but they all say basically the same thing.

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Gotcha. The most resellable car I've been able to find is a 2001 Ford Focus...

The condition guide is excellent - I agree that this Buick is a #4 at best. I am also in contact with a guy selling a 73 Camaro for $2500, but no pictures. I'm interested to see what he has. If it's even a #4, it'll be a good bargain.
http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...aro-value.html
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Definitely - people love those things.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to just go through every available source (Craigslist, local papers, etc.) without too much prejudice, and see what pops up that looks cheap and interesting. You could end up with something you never thought you'd have.

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:14 PM

Interesting might be a stretch, but there's definitely some cheap cars out there. Usually on account of being uninteresting, really.

You advice is very much appreciated, Eric. Craigslist is where I found the Focus.
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Wow! I was out of the loop for awhile. Regardless, good luck finding a car. Let us know what you end up with.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:27 AM

I was offered this 73 Camaro for $2500, but it's way too nice to park in the street, and it takes at least a few days to get it delivered - days that I cannot afford. But man, that would have been quite a ride, and a good car to trade in, price-wise.

Old January 25th, 2017, 09:34 AM

If I saw that Camaro for sale with those pics for $2500 I'd be 99% certain it is a scam. That's way too nice. Around here it would need another 0 added on the end.
For $2500 park it anywhere, get full coverage insurance. You will make out like a bandit, resale or insurance claim. I'd put a full front bumper on it though. Everyone puts the split front bumper on the cars that didn't come with that feature.

Last edited by texxas; January 25th, 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Too nice. Something's not right.

You'll find the right car. You're in the desert, there are tons of cars, and some of them are right for you.

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

- Eric
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:36 AM

I agree that it screams scam. Selling fast because of deployment? Right.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:39 AM

101 % certain it's a scam now.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Selling fast because of deployment?
Merriam Webster Dictionary:

"Selling fast because of deployment" [seliŋ fast bi-ˈkȯz əv di-ˈplȯiment]
1. Scam, Farce, Ruse, Bunkum, Confidence scheme. See also "I am a Nigerian Prince and need a fine honest citizen such as yourself to help me retrieve my stolen fortune..."

- Eric
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Which means all we have are pretty pictures to enjoy. Well, relatively. That's not my first choice of color...
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I would not worry about finding a car before you get there. I would bet you can find a car of hooptie caliber in a day, 2 max. The Camaro is definitely a scam...
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:45 PM
MOTORHEAD

Where? Who?

stand up donnies bar
car still there
price is now $400 i guess

osseo mn

not advertised