Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Engine/Trans Replacement

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:41 AM

Engine/Trans Replacement

Good morning folks, been lurking for a while but finally ready to post my questions. Sitting in Afghanistan has given me ample time to think and save cash for a gift to me when I get home. Background is that I have a 66 F-85 with the original 4bbl 330 and Jetway trans. Dad and I bought it back in 02 and he drives it occasionally since I havent been able to take it with me. I'll be taking possession of it soon and will finally have the time and money to make it my car.

My plan is to fly back to my parents house and refresh the suspension and do a disk brake conversion on the front. My next thought, due to the trans being just terrible (slips, very worn, and generally don't like the ratios) install a TH350. Why not, I thought, also take the chance to pull the engine and replace it with something a little more powerful while I rebuild the original at a leisurely pace or simply save it if I ever (unlikely) sell the car and the buyer likes the idea of having the original motor.

One of the guys I'm deployed with has good things to say about Blueprint Engines as he has one in a Cuda and has several friends who've bought them. Jegs has a Chevy SB 383 Stroker/TH350 combo, link below, for about $5400. They've also got several other sizes, but this one caught my eye.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3830CTC1K1/10002/-1?parentProductId=

My goals are to have a normal looking Olds on the outside and good cruiser that can rumble a little at the stoplight if needed. I'm looking to do this fairly easily and not break the bank. Only highway trip it'll make will be the adventure from Indiana to California but will otherwise be relatively low key.

Extra considerations are motor mounts, which don't look terribly difficult to take care of, and exhaust. Anything I'm missing? Am I being absolutely unreasonable here?

Thanks!
Andy
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM

1st off, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO YOUR COUNTRY!

2nd, seems like most Olds folks cringe at the thought of a SBC under the hood of any Olds, but its been done numerous times. Its hard to beat the economy of SBC power.

What you are proposing is reasonable and has been done, should be pretty much a bolt-up proposition (engine mounts would have to be for a small-block Chevelle of the same year). Since the TH350 & Jetaway are the same length and use the same yoke, you don't even have to worry about the driveshaft (new U-joints are recommended, though) or cross-member location. I'm not familiar w/ the radiators on a 66 Chevelle, but if the in/out connections are different than for a Cutlass, you may need to use a Chevy radiator so that the hoses will reach. Of course, you'll need the accessory brackets for a SBC for the PS and alternator (& A/C if your car has it).
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, and x2 thank you for your service. I moved your thread here as it pertains to a non Olds power plant. As mentioned above the swap itself is easy, just treat it as a Chevelle. I'll add you may need a different power steering pump and hoses, some minor wiring changes for the starter, I don't think the radiator will be an issue. You'll have to buy a universal kick down bracket and cable for a Chevy T350 that mounts to the carb.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to digging into this when I get home. When changing to a Chevy engine like this, will there be any issues going to headers for a Chevy block and running them into dual pipes for an Olds? If I remember correctly Chevelle, GTO, Cutlass pipes are all interchangeable, but I'll have to double check when I land this afternoon.
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM

I realize the heresy of a Chevy engine and I love my Olds power, but on economy and ease, the Chevy crate looks like it's up my alley. I'm still looking around for Olds crate engines, though, so I'm not set one way or another. If you guys have any good leads, I'd love to hear them. Have no fear, though, I plan on keeping the 330 and eventually making it my first rebuild! Then another Cutlass down the road...and another...I need a convertible eventually and so much more.
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:55 AM

You might want to post a new thread in the engine section about the Olds crate motor. I don't think you'll find the kind of off the shelf options you do with chevy motors. Most are going to be specialty builders (expensive).
As for swap, I wouldn't desecrate a rare 442, but mine was just a metal box on 4 wheels with no matching parts, or even a motor.
Difficulty wise, I found the frame on my 72 Olds was exactly the same as chevelle. Even the holes for the chevy motor mounts were already there. Chevelle rear end bolted right up too. If you havn't weighed the option, you might consider an LS fuel injected motor. I think it's a huge improvement over 40+ year old technology. I love mine.
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Administrator

As for the exhaust and headers, like I said just treat it like a Chevelle with an SBC. There are from time to time options on purchasing an Olds engine for a reasonable price. If your looking for power go with a 455, there are header options. If you decide to go with a SBO, header options are limited and very expensive. Post a request in the parts wanted section and see if there are Olds options available.
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Beer Connoisseur

If you are gonna put the Chevy in than do an LS otherwise it's not worth it.
Old August 21st, 2014, 07:03 AM
swat455

I agree .the ls mtr with overdrive or 6spd
Old August 25th, 2014, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the words guys. Home in a month and salivating over the prospects!
Old August 26th, 2014, 04:24 AM

Do consider an LS motor/trans.
You can have stock 400hp that delivers 20+mpg and be used as a daily driver. A low mileage iron block 6.0 can easily be done for that price if you can turn a wrench. Lots of resources for swaps into A bodies these days.