Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

gas monkey / fast n loud show

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM

gas monkey / fast n loud show

do you guys watch the show, if so what's your opinion of them? last episode they restored a mustang and they made all this fuss after a minor accident so they had to total the car???
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I've seen the show a few times. Kind of like a lot of the new reality shows to get rich quick. Last one I saw was the Drift Car Ford Fairmont - not that impressive IMO. I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if I'm bored and there's nothing else on I might watch it.

It's better than Counting Cars for content, but what do you expect from a 'made for TV' time filler? It's a show about testosterone and king of the hill. At least they keep the language at PG ratings.
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I've seen the show a few times. Kind of like a lot of the new reality shows to get rich quick. Last one I saw was the Drift Car Ford Fairmont - not that impressive IMO. I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if I'm bored and there's nothing else on I might watch it.

It's better than Counting Cars for content, but what do you expect from a 'made for TV' time filler? It's a show about testosterone and king of the hill. At least they keep the language at PG ratings.
same here, they come across loud hence the name but at times they are entertaining... Richard somehow always runs into barn finds, wonder if they restored a cutlass/442 yet.

In one of their episodes I did like what they did to the Ford Model A, you just cant go wrong by restoring sytlish classic car with today's technological advances without taking away from the cars originality...
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:56 PM

The garage location where it is filmed is literally 15 minutes from my house, and 5 minutes from work. I watch the show mostly to see if I can recognize the places the segments are filmed.
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have seen it a few times and I am like Allan, if there is nothing else on I will watch it. I haven't seen it in several months. They do some pretty neat stuff but there is so much drama for TV. I think Chip Foose is my favorite since he seems to have less drama. Boyd Coddington's show was too much drama for me. The guy that ran his shop was such a jerk and they had to bleep out half of what he said. They did build some nice stuff though.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
same here, they come across loud hence the name but at times they are entertaining... Richard somehow always runs into barn finds, wonder if they restored a cutlass/442 yet.

In one of their episodes I did like what they did to the Ford Model A, you just cant go wrong by restoring sytlish classic car with today's technological advances without taking away from the cars originality...
Don't know if they've ever done Olds. Would be interesting to see what they would do though. I know what you mean about 'rebuilding' a classic with new tech. I'm reluctant to say 'restoring' in that concept because too many will say it's not a proper resto, and they would be right. On the other hand I would love to have a sleeper with all the performance of 2013 locked under the skin. Means changing powerplants to crate engine, and tons of tech and mechanical upgrades that would just not be factory. There's a lot of guys here who would frown on that. Oh well. I think my dream car to do that with would be a 67 Cutlass Town Sedan....absolutely NO ONE would see that coming.

BTW, I see your next upgrade is 12 bolt 3.42?? I just changed my corporate 10 bolt from open SA 2.73 to posi 3.42 last fall. This spring I'll get a chance to drive it after I finish installing the new fuel deliver system. Can't wait! Just curious - why go 12 bolt on a 72, is it just preference?
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Don't know if they've ever done Olds. Would be interesting to see what they would do though. I know what you mean about 'rebuilding' a classic with new tech. I'm reluctant to say 'restoring' in that concept because too many will say it's not a proper resto, and they would be right. On the other hand I would love to have a sleeper with all the performance of 2013 locked under the skin. Means changing powerplants to crate engine, and tons of tech and mechanical upgrades that would just not be factory. There's a lot of guys here who would frown on that. Oh well. I think my dream car to do that with would be a 67 Cutlass Town Sedan....absolutely NO ONE would see that coming.

BTW, I see your next upgrade is 12 bolt 3.42?? I just changed my corporate 10 bolt from open SA 2.73 to posi 3.42 last fall. This spring I'll get a chance to drive it after I finish installing the new fuel deliver system. Can't wait! Just curious - why go 12 bolt on a 72, is it just preference?
I meant along the lines of suspension,shocks, handling, brakes... I believe in tastefully upgrading classics w/out taking away from the original looks.

At the moment, I have the same 2.73 open rear that you had which is not compatible with my 455 and odd preference of mine to go 12 bolt the least to say although not correct for the year or better vs. 10 bolt. How do like your upgrade?
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
At the moment, I have the same 2.73 open rear that you had which is not compatible with my 455 and odd preference of mine to go 12 bolt the least to say although not correct for the year or better vs. 10 bolt. How do like your upgrade?
I was originally going to put a 3.23 gearset in my car because it's a 350/350. But it turned out the 3.23 gears/pinion were from an 8.2 and wouldn't fit. I had this set of 3.42's sitting in the shed because I wanted to build a 455 for the car and 3.42's were the gears Olds put behind the performance A bodies in 72. So right now the axle is finished and installed, but the fuel system still has to go in, and then the brake lines. I'm hoping to have it all done by late Spring. Everything's been put on hold over the winter because of the cold. Needless to say I expect a huge difference in the car.

Note: The axle upgrade is one thing, but I also upgraded the suspension to FE2 and added rear body braces. All new bushings all the way around was a ton of work. When I take it for it's first test cruise I'll post the results on my "Gassed" thread.

When I decided on my posi swap I got in touch with Jim Mitschke (monzaz) on this site for my carrier. When you do your rear end swap, if you have any questions, Jim and Brian Trick (507OLDS) are great guys who share info willingly.
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:53 PM

Actually, they have already done at least one Olds...It was a 1950 Oldsmobile 88, in the family they bought it from since 1954. Original unmolested barn find with a very nice patina with the original 303 still in place. I liked that they just clearcoated it, to maintain the look that has developed over the last 60 years, but what I didn't like is, that they stuck a 350 chevy crate engine under the hood, acting as if they really didn't want to.
Just for profit, even though I'd bet they would've made more profit, if the had rebuilt the original motor. The buyer's first question was "where's the 303" as well...
Sometimes I enjoy the show but more often you just have to ask why they do to the car, what they do.
Best example for that was the Woodill Wildfire. If it really was one of the nine built, why would somebody chop the A-pillars?
Well to each their own
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:45 AM
Olds Fever

The show , IMO, is only so so...... Last episode, Richard purchased a 1975 Cordoba/Charger for $4500 and sold it at auction for $800....Reality is what it is...........
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:04 AM
Administrator

it's a stupid show.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM

I saw the one with the 50 88 they paid 7000 it was in worse shape than mine and they put a chevy engine in it .
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:05 PM

Ya, they take the path of least resistance. If they would really do the stuff right, they'd never make a profit.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:13 AM
Administrator

I don't think they make a profit doing it their way. I know that some of the cars they supposedly sold were still on the property.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:01 AM
"Car"mudgeon

It is all staged for TV. I have a buddy that was on the show and needless to say the money that changed hands wasn't his and he does not own the car he supposedly bought. Actually I have a few friends that was on the show and there is one that actually bought a car from Richard. Like Allan R said earlier in the year, I too will watch at it IF there is nothing else on.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:44 AM
Runner

Here was a pic of the olds the clear coated.

Although like many said much of the content is "made for TV". I still like the fact that you can watch some episodes that should him not always make these fantastic deals. This at least gives it the sense of being "semi-reality".
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:05 PM
Alb

fast n loud

These types of shows are the cheapest to make. That is why there are so many of them. That is all that seems to be coming out anymore. The profit margin is so much greater than a TV series. So you have to take them for what they are. Cheap entertainment.
Alb
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:20 PM

I saw that episode where the mustang got hit. I think the fame was bent pretty bad and he didn't want to sink the money into it all over after like 20K. Overhauling did a nice 72 442 convertible few seasons ago. I just like how on all these shows when something happens everyone is like "OOOOOOH I cant believe this" lol at least they have budgets. If they want some real TV try filming one of us restoring a car with a very limited budget if you want to see some real scream and hollering.
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:01 PM

I don't like most of those shows, I always wonder how much is the producer of those shows kicking in so they can make so many mistakes.
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:02 AM

To each their own ,since replacing the chopper show i'd much rather watch this one.I get it its reallity TV,and putting in crate engines doesn't do it for me.The 37 ford sedan they kept a flathead wasn't bad, i'll still watch it.But the buy high and sell low we'll make it up in volume i don't get.I guess its just for ratings.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:43 AM

I don't think these shows are good for normal car guys. Everyone with an old car sitting in their yard or garage thinks their car is worth big money. It's hard to find a project car for a reasonable price.
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:00 AM

that mustang was totally fixable every part is available no big deal. just for tv drama imo. They pay to much for most of the cars which inflates the price and makes owners think there's a gold mine in the back yard. but a free economy will take care of that.
One point that is not brought out is that in order to sell any car for profit it must be from a licensed dealer, repair shops are not dealers. Texas might be different ,and kudos to them, but that is the way it is in Washington state and I would think most others. Dealers do not want "curb stoners" taking customers
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldsbucket
One point that is not brought out is that in order to sell any car for profit it must be from a licensed dealer, repair shops are not dealers. Texas might be different ,and kudos to them, but that is the way it is in Washington state and I would think most others. Dealers do not want "curb stoners" taking customers
Maybe I'm not 100% on what you are saying but that sounds crazy, anybody here can sell a car for profit. I've sold cars many ways here in Texas. I've been a licensed dealer, bought and sold off of another person's license, bought from private individuals and managed to get the vehicle with an open title, bought and sold at dealer auctions and purchased at charity auctions. I've gotten mechanic's lein vehicles too but most people are reluctant to buy those unless I walk them through the whole deal and get them the title. I'd say most of the curb stoners here ARE licensed dealers but just small time players. I used to park cars in a local junior high school parking lot on weekends, never more than one at a time. It was my lucky spot, always sold the first weekend and never had a tow away.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM

that mustang was totally fixable every part is available no big deal. just for tv drama imo. They pay to much for most of the cars which inflates the price and makes owners think there's a gold mine in the back yard. but a free economy will take care of that.

That's a new one one me and I have lived in Washington State all my life. You can legally sell up to 4-cars in Washington in a calendar year without a dealers license. Not enforced much that i have noticed
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM

been a dealer also and have had the law explained in detail here in Wa. no private party can sell for profit any car not one not five. Although impossible to enforce on a small scale if you come under the spotlight each one will be an offense. you can sell wholesale but that is a separate license as a wholesaler only no sales to the public. As i said Texas may be different much friendlier to small business one of the fastest growing economies in the nation Kudos.
If you are not familiar with the term curb stoner it refers to the practice of selling with no business establishment or License and no recourse for the purchaser in the event of fraud or guarantee. Please do not think that i agree with the law its what was related to me as i was trying to sell off a few cars after i closed the dealership by the state patrol sort of a word to the wise. Sure its all about money for the state and big dealership lobby that wants to protect their interests
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Justin

I just watched one where it was a 59 Pontiac that had mud in the engine they filled it with water to clean it out ?! Think it needed a rebuild ? I really can't see this car making it across the country with brake tires a and a engine clean out
Hackers in my opinion
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM

Just read citcapp's post yes that is the conception that i had and asked that specific question. but it is not the case its just that they do not look at you until you exceed four or five whichever but as i said once they do there is no grace #. The place to ask is the Wa. state vehicle inspection station they enforce dealer License that is where i got the info, although if it has changed lately i would welcome the info..
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:20 PM

As soon as I watched the Mustang one with my wife awile back, I told her that this is crazy. There is no way that the Mustang was totaled with that crash in the right front. Actually an easy fix like has been said. Some things are okay on the show but yeah the 59 mud engine was stupid! Set up cash is one thing, in real life if they produced the show showing cash deals like this, the IRS would be all over them!
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:24 PM

If you are not familiar with the term curb stoner it refers to the practice of selling with no business establishment or License and no recourse for the purchaser in the event of fraud or guarantee.
Yes I understand the reference. Cars on the side of the road or in parking lots, shoe polish on the windshield with the contact number and price. At least around here most of these guys are dealers too. It's just another way to sell a car. I have a buddy and every time he gets a car with an open title he parks it off the lot to sell, as a private individual, even though he is a dealer. He does it to avoid his floorplan guy from getting a cut of the profit on that car, and he is competing with the other curbstoners at their own game. Most of those cars are "AS-IS" cars anyway so the guarantee he provides is that it runs and drives right now. As always, buyer be aware.
Normally I'd apologize for taking this thread off topic but since it's about "*** Funky" garage, I do watch the show and met Richard in the swag van at the last Good Guys show. He seemed like a real nice guy in person, not as full of it as he does on TV.

Last edited by texxas; June 30th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:42 AM

i watch the show of course, don't get the constant conflict on other shows that they think is entertainment. I thought the one with the bronco was a very typical example of what to expect with those as I have personal experience with a 66 but Richard paid to much for it by 2x . In the end if true he made money so not a big deal but in real life a total rebuild/resto is a money loosing endeavor and magically finding a buyer with tens of thousands to buy your money pit at a profit isn't that easy. Both of these points well known to most here .
I'd like to know what the show pays the players and what the workers are getting paid for their labor. never shown in the final break down at the end.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:57 AM

Well I have mixed feelings, so they grab an early 50's Olds that had not run for decades and expect it to be running an go to auction in a week?? I mean get real.... so then they throw a crate engine in it and clearcoat the rust on the body and it sells?? Hmmm dont know. The prices they pay for cars seem astronomical and at times seems realistic when some cars loose money at Auction.... Hmmm I thing its more entertainment than reality TV... but I watch.
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM

I thought the one with the bronco was a very typical example of what to expect with those as I have personal experience with a 66 but Richard paid to much for it by 2x .
X2 on the over paying for that Bronco. I had a 1973 early Bronco and bought a bunch of parts from the first guy they declined to buy from, then they went and bought that rusted abortion and way over paid. It was nice to see someone I know and have had dealings with on TV though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.JPG (139.1 KB, 62 views)
010.jpg (120.8 KB, 88 views)
007.jpg (114.1 KB, 92 views)
002.jpg (110.0 KB, 69 views)
011.jpg (87.6 KB, 51 views)
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Just read citcapp's post yes that is the conception that i had and asked that specific question. but it is not the case its just that they do not look at you until you exceed four or five whichever but as i said once they do there is no grace #. The place to ask is the Wa. state vehicle inspection station they enforce dealer License that is where i got the info, although if it has changed lately i would welcome the info..
Here is a link from the DOL which clarifies what is legal in WA state. The way I read it, a private party can sell 4 vehicles registered to you in a 12 month period.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420401Eng.pdf
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:56 PM

the dude aron went from working on the cars to all clean just a tv move star , just like all shows that become popular get fake and stupid, everyone throws money around like nothing with a smile haha yea ill ride a bull if i loose ill pay 5 grand more all bullshit!!!!
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:38 PM

I can't stand that show. Those guys are a bunch idiots (that's not the word I want to use) that show has to be financing all the screw ups they make. I am pretty sick of all of this type of car shows these day. It's kinda like the all of those stupid Harley build shows that used to be on. My WCC and OCC rest in peace!
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
it's a stupid show.
oldcutlass You got my vote
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:46 AM
NOVICE car nut

Well , at least it's more entertaining then 99.9% of the garbage they show on tv . I only watch like two stations anymore .... Don't even get me started on the movies they make today .
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Oldsdruid

I don't get what they do either. Clearcoating the "patina" on the 50 88 was a joke, stuffing that GM crate engine in it was an insult.

They've been dissing a decent-looking 74 Delta ragtop pretty hard because they can't get it to run- yapping about needs a carb rebuild. Hello? A couple hours work and you're good to go, though spitting back thru the carb like it did made me think more of an ignition issue or worst case a timing chain- again, a day's work tops. Makes me think they're not very good mechanics...

Then that 64 Dodge pickup- good god, that was when two fools collided. Guy sold it to them for $750, and then bought it back from them for I think it was $40k. Sure it had an upgraded drivetrain but still looked like a junkyard refugee.

Yup. Gives normal car guy buying and selling a bad rap.

BTW, "patina" is not rust holes and bondo patches showing thru the paint. Patina is a well-preserved original car that may have very minor surface rust or sunbaking or thin original paint.

Think it was a guy on ROP had a sig line that said "Patina does not mean holes big enough to throw a cat thru... just sayin' ".
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:58 AM

I don't like the crate engine crap they do, also patina means not finished,but still entertainment to me.Not much on worth watching.
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:25 AM

I watch the show from a car enthousiast perspective as there is no "real life" in it, but the F40 rebuild was awesome. Aaron sure has some good eyes how to build the cars, I think Richard just keeps putting his hand on the money.
For "real life" car shows, I think Texas Car Wars is pretty good and they have some good builds there also - hell I wouldnt mind paying some money for some of these cars.

Quick Reply: gas monkey / fast n loud show