Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

350 GM crate in 78 cutlass

Old December 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM

350 GM crate in 78 cutlass

what do i need to change i have a th350 that will fit.. and I know about brackets.. and starter pos. what about flywheel? etc...
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Do already have the engine? Most of time on these new crate engines they have a flywheel, but not always. The Olds flywheel is different then a Chevy. So you will have to have the correct one. It depends if the engine is internally or externally balanced. On the 85 and back sbc they are internally balanced [except the 400]. The 86 and newer sbc are externally balanced. They still make both for crate engines. So if your engine doesn't have one you will need to know if your engine is a internal or external balanced.

Other then that brackets you can get at junk yard cheap. You will need chevy motor mounts. You can either modify the wiring or replaced it. If you keep the A/C the hose are longer on Chevys the compressor mounts on the driver side of the engine. The power steering pump bracket is different so you will need to replace it. Exhaust manifolds are different also so the downpipes are different unless you go with headers then you need ones for a 78 Monte Carlo.

I guess you already have a V8 so that is most of what you need. If have the Buick 3.8 V6 you will need a different fan shroud and run new fuel lines for the correct side of the car for your engine.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; December 6th, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM

350/290 HP
crate from GM performance should I go with the 4.3 chevy serp brackets ? you have been helpful..
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM

What engine is in your Cutlass now?
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by chromalusionCS78
350/290 HP
crate from GM performance should I go with the 4.3 chevy serp brackets ? you have been helpful..
Ok that engine is a replacement for the older 350's so it is internally balanced. So you will need a flywheel for a 85 and older 350.

Since the engine doesn't come with a intake and harmonic balancer the same info applies for them as well, being the older style engine.

I have never used a serpentine setup before so I not sure what would or wouldn't work. Maybe one of the others people on here would know for sure. I do know that your brackets and pulleys have to match no matter what setup you go with.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM

77 olds 350. piston #1 took a beating from a screw that came off the quadracrap i am putting it on a stand for a slightly hopped up rebuild, the crate was bought for me.. and im putting it in for now its a beater cutlass i know ill take some hits for puttin a non olds in her but i have the crate already and need it in her ill beat the snot outta the chevy engine while i put some time and $ in the rocket and put it in my nicer 85 cutlass. - the quadrcrap . its a 3B baltimore engine i picked up for 500 back in 94 and put 200K + the original 260 was a pig. car in family since new in 78 was the mint green? already had the chevy engine, edlebrock intake and 600 carb, headers, so bring the 78 back and make the 85 all olds.. funny how the motors run at their best just befor that crazy screw thing.. first for me, had a snap on in my hands since born the good old days when dad said go fix that.. and in the 90 Saturn paid me to have fun for years.. not A tech that knows it all and not afraid to ask about what I dont know, spent so much time with the OBD1 and 2 cars its a nice change to go back to the old school.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks Andy always good to learn new old things again.. like to be prepaired, to many times in my early years just did it and figured it as I went, now the wisdom kicks in and not afraid to ask for pointers!! saves alot of time and words that that have 4 letters
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:06 PM

77 olds 350. piston #1 took a beating from a screw that came off the quadracrap i am putting it on a stand for a slightly hopped up rebuild, the crate was bought for me.. and im putting it in for now its a beater cutlass i know ill take some hits for puttin a non olds in her but i have the crate already and need it in her ill beat the snot outta the chevy engine while i put some time and $ in the rocket and put it in my nicer 85 cutlass. - the quadrcrap . its a 3B baltimore engine i picked up for 500 back in 94 and put 200K + the original 260 was a pig. car in family since new in 78 was the mint green? already had the chevy engine, edlebrock intake and 600 carb, headers, so bring the 78 back and make the 85 all olds.. funny how the motors run at their best just befor that crazy screw thing.. first for me, had a snap on in my hands since born the good old days when dad said go fix that.. and in the 90 Saturn paid me to have fun for years.. not A tech that knows it all and not afraid to ask about what I dont know, spent so much time with the OBD1 and 2 cars its a nice change to go back to the old school.
I find your post a little humorous just because you are basically saying you are putting this Chevy motor in your ugly car and will rebuilding the rocket motor for your "better" car. You are also promising to "beat the snot outta the chevy" to somehow justify putting in a "crate" motor that somebody bought for you. I see what you are trying to do here and it's pretty funny actually.

Ok, you know about the mounts and the starter. You mention flywheel? You will need a Chevy flywheel. As far as swaps go this is both an easy and common swap. Good luck with it.
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM

what do i need to change i have a th350 that will fit.. and I know about brackets.. and starter pos. what about flywheel? etc...
www.oldspower.com

Sorry, I couldn't resist
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Sorry, but since I'm a member of that forum also, what are you referring to? OP.com is as committed to oldsmobiles as this site is. Maybe not as diversified, geared more towards g-body olds, but still in the family.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Moment Member

Ugh!