Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Pro Touring '72 now going LS2

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Pro Touring '72 now going LS2

I started building my '72 3yrs ago wanting a Pro Touring autocross that will also be a weekend cruiser. Just like most other car projects, scope creep happened and its still not complete.
I have a thread on Pro Touring.com, but I felt the Olds people should see what I'm doing too.

The background goes:1972 Cutlass was purchased locally from a college aged kid that apparently beat up on the trans and original 350. The interior had already been *******ized with cheap seats and Autozone guages. :screwy:The good is the body was better than several I'd seen. I was always told "get a good body, you can buy a motor.." I was going to do a restomod, maybe just wheels and suspension. I changed my mind because this car was not stock in the first place and restoring to original would be more time\money than moving in ths direction which is really more me. After reading a lot here and making a plan, I started my parts quest.

Here are my initial plans (*=some parts I already have):
Engine and trans swap--455 bored .030 with C heads ported and mated to 4l80e using Simple Shift Standalone controller *
ATS/AFX spindles *
SPC Lowering springs *
Adjustable upper trailing arms *
Boxed lower trailing arms *
Dynomax headers -*
Hydroboost *
Hydratech Stainless Hydroboost line set *
C5 disc brake upgrade *
GTO Seats- *
Speedhut guages and custom center console *
Rushforth Rated X Wheels 18x9, 19x10 *
Magnaflow 3" Exhaust *
American Autowire Power Plus 20 *
Hellwig front and rear sway bars *
Varishock QS1 *
Have some pics of original condition
BTW, my fiance named the car Delilah

P1010029.jpg
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Here it is with the front end and drivetrain removed. Cleaned of the firewall and rattle canned it with self etching primer and high heat Krylon. It won't win any shows, but it looks a lot better. Also degreased the frame and sprayed it. My fiance is actually responsible for the firewall but refuses to take pics...

IMAG0113.jpg
IMAG0140.jpg
A little cleaner now...Tried to smooth some of the dimples...
IMAG0031.jpg
IMAG0012.jpg
IMAG0015.jpg
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Registered Luser

Chris, what's happening? Good to see you started a thread here! Did you get an LS yet?
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Justin

If you get a chance look up Gary68 Build I think is the build its a nicely done ls swap

Here is a link to his build
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29116

Last edited by oldstata; July 25th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Keep updating here.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:49 PM
car guy

Whats up Chris? Long time no see!!
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks for posting the link to pro-touring thread. Good luck, keep the updates coming!
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Chris, what's happening? Good to see you started a thread here! Did you get an LS yet?
Yeah Erik, you know I spend most of my time on PT.com, but its an Olds so it deserves some representation here. I picked an LS2 with 60k on it for a song Hows that wagon coming along?

Originally Posted by oldstata
If you get a chance look up Gary68 Build I think is the build its a nicely done ls swap.

Here is a link to his build
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ad.php?t=29116

Thanks, I've seen it. It is ivery nicely done
Originally Posted by garys 68
Keep updating here.
I'll be updating here and PT. I'm going to post the rest of what I had to bring people here upt to date.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Whats up Chris? Long time no see!!
Nothing much. Anxiously waiting to see what you do with your next project after that 66 turned out so well.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Thanks for posting the link to pro-touring thread. Good luck, keep the updates coming!
Will do...

Last edited by csouth; July 26th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM

I'm just posting some older stuff to show how my project evolved. Sorry if its boring. I originally started with a Hotchkis upper control arm and tall spindle setup. I also purchased a pair of 2" rear dropped springs and adjustable upper control arms from someone returning a Cutlass to stock. I later found that the tall spindle swap was not the best way to go. While it fixes the negative camber issues inherent to A bodies, it increases bump steer. We live and we learn..

IMAG0224.jpg
IMAG0913-1.jpg

Last edited by csouth; August 1st, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:54 PM

I decided I wanted to make some changes, so I went with some Corvette C5 calipers I found locally and some hubs made from turned down brake hubs.

IMAG0928.jpg
IMAG0948.jpg

Stainless lines and rear caliper mounting brackets

IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg

Last edited by csouth; July 26th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM

This is where I started building my motor. I started with a 455 from a '68 Toronado. I removed then intake and disassembled the bottom end. The block was cleaned, bored, and decked. The heads were surface cleaned and hardened seats installed. The worst part about this motor was the low comp pistons, but I was on a tight budget at the time.
The reast of the components were purchased new and sent to my builder for assembly

IMAG1091.jpg

I painted the motor blue because it was a '68

455.jpg
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:10 PM

While the motor was coming along I was saving my money for wheels. I ended up going with Rushforth Rated X, 18x9 fr and 19x10rr. I picked up some used tires from a buddy that manages a tire ship so that I could have them for mock up.

IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2353.jpg

The color a a matte bronze.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:13 PM

Here was my motor minus the oil pan, right before I picked it up from the builder. I also had a set of polished MT valve covers I purchased here a cpl years back

IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg

Here is the Canton Racing oil pan that was added after it was picked up.
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

Installing oil pan, pump and pickup.

Intake installed first to keep oil from running out when we rotate to bottom end.
455_3_zpsc59bd676.jpg
Pan and old pump removed, installing studs
455_4_zpse6fea460.jpg
Rotational clearance checked.New windage tray, pump and pickup installed. I have plenty of empty boxes with Summit "thanking me for my order"...lol
455_10_zpse8aa3405.jpg

All done. Gotta Clove the Canton pan with the bung for the oil cooler line.

455_6_zpse9c28d2d.jpg

Last edited by csouth; July 26th, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM

Wheels with tires mounted.

IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:21 PM

I picked up a set of SpeedHut guages and my Magnaflow exhaust. I know some recommend custom over pre-bent, but I'm taking my chances. I got the orange to add some color to the interior.The guages are backlit LED fully electronic.

IMG_0137.jpg

Here is a template for the guages my fiance made from some ABS I purchased. This was the first version.

She made some templates and cut them out with blade.
photo.jpg
photo4.jpg
Cut out the center of the old bezel leaving a small lip to epoxy the ABS
photo3-1.jpg

She did the work, I get to take the pics...lol
photo1.jpg

magnaflow.jpg

Last edited by csouth; July 26th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM

I decided to change the suspension after doing some research. Since I only paid $350 for the spindles and upper control arms combined, I was able to get all of my money back out of the Hotchkis stuff. I purchased some ATS AFX Tall spindles and billet steering arms. These correct the negative camber issue and reduce bumpsteer to zero. Since they are modeled after the factory C5 Corvette spindle, you can mount and factory or aftermarket brake made for that car.

Here are my ATS AFX spindles and my SPC adjustable upper control arms

afx.jpg

IMAG1019.jpg

I also decided to sell the C5 calipers and upgraded to the C6 Z06 calipers after I found a set for a good price on the Corvette forum.

z06_2.jpg

I got this MOMO steering wheel and AAW harness. Its no use modernizing the car and keeping the old brittle wiring.

harness.jpg
momo.jpg

Last edited by csouth; August 1st, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:46 PM

Here is my MOMO wheel with Twist Machine billet paddle shifters mounted. They are definitely a beautiful piece

photo2-1-1.jpg
photo3-2.jpg

I also installed the spindles and control arms with my SPC Performance springs and Varishock QS1 shocks

spindlesinstalled.jpg
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM

The next pkg was my Moser full floater housing. I had the caliper brackets welded on by a friend who also assembled my Strange center section. I had the housing powder coated gloss black.
housing_zps3ca9788a.jpg

Setup on his work bench
Floater011_zpsbdea1278.jpg
To make sure the rotors were centered, he shimmed the pins. Notice where he wrote his measurements on the calipers.
Floater009_zps58e9478d.jpg
And of course the finished product.
Floater017_zps8cc05e33.jpg
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM

All these boxes

photo1-2.jpg
photo2-2.jpg
photo4.jpg

Became this

pinion_zps513acbc9.jpg
3rd_zpsf728e303.jpg

For the same price of buying an assmebled 3rd member I have one with a polished pinion that I know all specs on. Its funny because having someone as detailed as him worked in my favor. He check the specs ont first case I received the the caps were out of tolerance. I called Quick Performance where I bought the parts and they did not believe me. I called Strange and they told me to send it back. It was returned 5 day later with confirmation of being out of spec.

He's a mechanical engineer by trade and works for Ford in their performance crankshaft division. This is his project

BossMotor004.jpg
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Registered Luser

I'm Jealous Chris! No, I haven't touched the wagon in a while. Waiting for a gas tank and the fall weather to get motivated again. I like the direction you are going in. The car will certainly be more fun to drive, as well as being more drivable. Did you sell the 455?
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Very cool project, looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the finished product
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I'm Jealous Chris! No, I haven't touched the wagon in a while. Waiting for a gas tank and the fall weather to get motivated again. I like the direction you are going in. The car will certainly be more fun to drive, as well as being more drivable. Did you sell the 455?
Don't be jealous one bit...lol I wish I had a chance to sell the 455, my entire drivetrain was stolen form my friends garage where it was being stored until I could move my car there for installation. He HAD any and everything we would every need to work on my car. We are both now in the recovery stages. I used the money I had set aside for my FAST EZ-EFI and added some to it for an LS2 that was for sale locally.

Last edited by csouth; July 4th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Finn5033
Very cool project, looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the finished product
Thanks, me either....
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by csouth
Don't be jealous one bit...lol I wish I had a chance to sell the 455, my entire drivetrain was tolen form my friends garage where it was being stored until I could move my car there for installation. He HAD any and everything we would every need to work on my car. We are both now in the recovery stages. I used the money I had set aside for my FAST EZ-EFI and added some to it for an LS2 that was for sale locally.

that sucks man..... I fuggin hate theives
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Here is the front end with the new brakes and wheels. I went with Autozone replacements because money was tight.

photo14_zpsc927b5ed.jpg
photo25_zps50030bd9.jpg
photo34_zpse2e5ab33.jpg
I pulled the Olds type "O" rear then installed my new Varishocks, adjustable upper control arms and Moser floater rear.
photo13_zps03060b98.jpg
photo1-1_zps11a39acd.jpg
photo12_zps824fc713.jpg
Car should settle once tank and interior is added.
photo22_zps6925c655.jpg
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM
car guy

I didn't know you were building a 4x4 Chris

Wheels look killer
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM

that sucks man..... I fuggin hate theives
Me too Rich. My friend lost a lot more than I did. Years of tools along with motors and transmissions. He was out of town and due to return the day of the theft. He's really down in the dumps right now.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM

I didn't know you were building a 4x4 Chris

Wheels look killer
LOL yeah, it's sitting a little higher than I'd like right now.
I guess I'll have a better idea in the wks to come. I have no interior at all and the old tank was removed. My rear springs are 1.5" drop so I'll wait before I make any changes
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Here are the transmissions we had stolen, one was my friends the other mine. 4L80E's built to spec of the Jakes Performance Stg 2.

trans_zps38541dd0.jpg

I'm looking for another trans now. I really can't afford to buy a core and have it built up like this one. I was lucky enough to find 2 2wd 4L80E's at pull it yards where the transmissions are cheap.
I still haven't told the builder what happened. He's a buddy of my friend and he really wanted to see these things run. I'm sure they'll be sold for little or nothing on the street.

Last edited by csouth; July 27th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:07 PM

All the pics posted were to catch up the people here that never visit PT.com on my intentions for the car.

To all that don't know my entire drive train was stolen from my friends garage. The business that occupied the other half of the warehouse was raided by the state police and the building was not properly secured afterward. Local thieves entered the building shortly after the police left and cleaned him out. He was out of town visiting his dad at the time and scheduled to return the next day

He noticed an LS2 local on Craigs and sent me the link. I rode around with it in my truck the next day until I could get an engine stand and hoist to remove it. Now I'm going to start getting the other parts necessary together for a test fit. I'm using Pacesetter F Body headers and the Dirty Dingo adapter plates. I picked up picked up Chevelle frame mounts and Energy Suspension motor mounts for the install. The harness and ECM has already been sent out to S&S Performance.

ls2_zps3acc96ed.jpg

That was the Cliff Notes version of how I got where I am today.

Last edited by csouth; July 29th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM
72 Olds CS

Glued to the thread, love the wheels and the fr suspension set up looks pretty killer as well
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Glued to the thread, love the wheels and the fr suspension set up looks pretty killer as well
Thanks, I put a lot of thought into the front setup. The lower arms are Global West and the uppers are SPC adjustable. The spindles are by a company called ATS, its their forged AFX Tall spindle that uses a C5 Corvette bearing pack. I also have a Hellwig sway bar front with the Hellwig adjustable rear bar. I'll be putting the rear bar on in the near future.

Last edited by csouth; March 18th, 2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:38 AM

I guess I wasn't paying too much attention on the pro-touring site, since some of these updates are new to me.

Things are looking good, and I'll be following this thread closely. I made the mistake of going and watching an autocross event lately, and now I'm getting ideas!
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
I guess I wasn't paying too much attention on the pro-touring site, since some of these updates are new to me.

Things are looking good, and I'll be following this thread closely. I made the mistake of going and watching an autocross event lately, and now I'm getting ideas!
Yeah, I just did a quick version of my thread there.
I was hoping to have my car ready for Good Guys next year. Its going to take a little more effort now.
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Ok, stupid question.
How do you determine wheel offset, rear axle width, etc with aftermarket brakes, suspension, spindles, etc.
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Ok, stupid question.
How do you determine wheel offset, rear axle width, etc with aftermarket brakes, suspension, spindles, etc.
If you're talking about the rear, I ordered rear for a '68-72 A-body minus .5" on each side. It's not necessary, but I did it to allow just a little more clearance for the rear wheel quarter lips.
If you order a stock floater housing the WMS(wheel mounting surface) will be the same as a stock GM A-body housing. My wheels were originally ordered for C5 calipers, when I updated to C6 Z06 there was not enough room to clear the spokes. The floater housing helped because it moved the brakes inboard and I no longer had to worry about brake clearance. The only thing about floaters is most caliper brackets are made for 11" brakes so you will need a different bracket for larger brakes.

Adding this link for those that may need an explanation of wheel mount surface measurement

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?93536-What-is-the-WMS-measurement-(Wheel-Mount-Surface)

The front wheels cleared the Z06 calipers because they had a full pad height. The rears would have worked with a spacer, but since I went to a floater is wasn't necessary. The wheel specs are 18x9 5.5bs and 19x10 5.75bs

Also Moser does not charge to change the width on a floater housing during order

Last edited by csouth; July 4th, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:35 PM

Small updates: I have a line on a built 4L70E transmission. I talked to the builder, he said the seller is taking a major loss on this one. It was built to go behind a 5.3 with a suprcharger, but the guy has changed his mind. If I get it, my funds will be tapped out for a while. My headers finally sold which is good because I have money going out and none coming in. Once I get the motor cleaned up, I'll post new pics.
I had some pkgs waiting when I got home today.

Chevelle frame mounts, Energy Suspension motor mounts and Dirty Dingo adjustable adapter plates

mounts_zpsd1db1105.jpg

LS2 Intake

ls2intake_zps76ed2d10.jpg

Pacesetter F-body LS headers.

headers_zps167e9805.jpg

Last edited by csouth; July 30th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:16 PM

Nice, keeping DBW?
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:36 PM

Nice, keeping DBW?
Yep. I ordered a Monte Carlo SS pedal. It would cost me more to convert to DBC because I have a 58x relucter motor. I would need a signal converter @ $300 plus intake, tb, etc...
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:29 AM

Are you wanting cruise control? There's a company that makes a cruise module for 58x reluctor motors:
http://spankysrodshop.net/

Quick Reply: Pro Touring '72 now going LS2