Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Pro Touring '72 now going LS2

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by madmax442
Nice build! I can honestly say I wish you had an Olds engine in there but very nice overal!
Thanks. It would have an Olds motor it it wasn't for criminals... I couldnt see myself paying to build another BBO when i could buy an LS for 2/3 the cost with newer technology.
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:26 AM

That definitely sucks! Good luck with your new combo!
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Interesting build. How do police raid a garage not secure it properly and not be held accountable? Why didn't business insurance cover the losses? Gl with your build keep plugging away you will get it done.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Interesting build. How do police raid a garage not secure it properly and not be held accountable? Why didn't business insurance cover the losses? Gl with your build keep plugging away you will get it done.
Thanks, my goal is to be on the road this summer...

It wasn't a business, it was space my friend was sub-renting from someone else. It was a hobby building for him that was protected by his dog. Never had an incident before then. When the police raided they had animal control with them.
The police secured it the with what they thought was adequate means, but we found later they were supposed to call Balfour to secure the premises. There is an ongoing attempt to sue MSP and the City of Detroit, but I can't wait for a payoff that may not come....
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:01 PM

Small victory today, finally spun the motor over. I had been dealing with some small wiring issues because I used the Ford solenoid with my trunk battery placement. Once I changed and wired the LS harness to get its constant power from the alternator vs the starter, everything was good. I'm going to button up the oil cooler and finish the fuel lines. I should be ready to attempt a true fire by the next wknd....

Last edited by csouth; June 19th, 2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Photoshop God

I'm putting C6 brakes on mine, what are you using for a proportioning valve, booster/master?
Old June 9th, 2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DewChugr
I'm putting C6 brakes on mine, what are you using for a proportioning valve, booster/master?
I used all c5/6 for the booster and master. It did require some metric to standard conversion fittings for the prop valve. Prop valve is Wilwood Combo prop valve part #260-11179. Some have used the Tuff Stuff dual 9"...
You can check this link for a conversion recently completed. The part is listed there.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...brakes-booster

If you have anymore questions feel free to hit me up.
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM

Looks like the guy i sent me ECM to did not flash it when he stripped my original harness as he said he would. Fired the car and it dies immediately. Everything I have read said it points to VATS not being disabled. After scanning I have a code P0141 which is bank 1 sensor 2 oxygen sensor. This also tells me it wasn't flashed because he was supposed to remove the after cat o2's. Not sure if I'm even going to deal with contacting him or send it to a reputable tuner that I've recently discussed a flash with.

Last edited by csouth; March 18th, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:44 PM

Nothing really new right now. Waiting on my ECM to return after having it checked for VATS. Was told VATS is disabled so I need to see if something is killing my run after start. I also need to check fuel pressure. In the meantime I mounted my vertical billet bulkhead and started to mock up my Vintage Air hoses. I also moved the ECM inside to clean up the engine compartment a little.

IMG_3255_zpsatvjtqlh.jpg

IMG_3355_zpseaib8cmw.jpg

IMG_3359_zps72cswa05.jpg

I'll be an expert at installing this evaporator when its all done...lol
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:55 PM

Got all the AC lines clocked and marked for crimping. Had to order special fittings from Cold Hose because the service fittings would not clear the inner fenders. These were known as their short drop 90 degree. Took the hoses to Pirtek on the way to work and had them crimped while I waited.

IMG_3479_zpsstxh6u1c.jpg

IMG_3486_zpslbbwqome.jpg

IMG_3489_zpspufpgppn.jpg
Old July 19th, 2016, 11:32 AM

Took some downtime to cut and access panel in my trunk. Its already paid dividends since i had to move fuel lines around after having fuel in the tank.

IMG_3481_zpsju3ihsai.jpg

IMG_3526_zpsyohsr9q8.jpg

I also make a small bracket to mount my clutch master reservoir. I didn't want to bolt it to the firewall, so i found a convenient spot next to the brake booster. I'll paint it when the car is truly finished after paint.

IMG_3529_zpsszfgx1su.jpg

IMG_3533_zpsl5fp5f17.jpg

IMG_3532_zpsd5nbdfty.jpg
Old July 19th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Awesome access point, very clean.
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Awesome access point, very clean.
Thanks. I paid more for the kit than I would have liked, but it gives it the finished look i was hoping for.

Last edited by csouth; November 10th, 2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 05:56 PM
Car Nerd

Chris,

I really like the fuel tank access hatch. I have had my fuel tank in and out on my Chevelle a few times lately and that would have really come in handy. I may borrow that idea on the Olds.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldSoldier
Chris,

I really like the fuel tank access hatch. I have had my fuel tank in and out on my Chevelle a few times lately and that would have really come in handy. I may borrow that idea on the Olds.
Go right ahead. I got mine from Summit, bolts are not included though.

Last edited by csouth; July 22nd, 2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old November 9th, 2016, 01:33 PM

Looks like I haven't been here in quite some time. So the one thing I realized is I would never really want to wire a car again...lol

I did get my Vintage Air mostly wrapped up with the wiring. I'm going to add a ground and "key on" distribution block to help some of the routing. I'm also getting an adapter plate for a Detroit Speed wiper kit i was given. The kit is for a 68, which mounted differently. A buddy from the Pro-Touring forum is making one for me to use this kit on the 72. I also fitted the DSE switch in the stock location. Since the adapter plate for the wiper switch is made for a Chevelle with side to side slide, I had to modify mine. If I could use the original **** it wouldn't be much different.

C8B0445A-083C-4F3A-B066-6DD2E8F8C34A_zps04tknqxy.jpg

Last edited by csouth; November 10th, 2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:34 AM
72 Olds CS

I like how clean the AC n heater hoses are. Is that firewall connected part of the VA setup or a special order unit.?
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I like how clean the AC n heater hoses are. Is that firewall connected part of the VA setup or a special order unit.?
That is their billet firewall bulkhead. If you order a kit from them, you have to get what they call their modified hose kit to go with them. The stock kit uses a method when the hoses pass through the firewall to the evap under the dash. When you get the firewall bulkhead, there are -AN connections on both sides. It can be a little bit of a pain manipulating the fittings because the evap is not intended to be so close to the incoming hose.

It's a very nice kit. i think my issues were just because I'm mixing parts, ls2, smoothed firewall, etc... No way it was going to be a smooth install.
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Just switching gears a little to my seats. I finished up my Vintage Air, but I'm not ready to install my dash yet as there are a cpl more things in want to finish under there. I decided to move to getting my interior ready. I welded elevator bolts to my floor pan to use as studs for my Recaro seat brackets. My intention was to use my friends rear bench as a temporary setup until i could have my rear bucket setup installed. My intent was to use my friends old rear bench, but a '68 Chevelle rear seat is wider due to the armrest configuration. I ended up starting on my plan for the rear seats sooner than i expected. I also took the time to trim and install my rear carpet.

With some advice from by buddy that does interiors, I built this base for the new rear seat. Here is one of the rear seats as it will sit before my friend completes the upholstery. He will build filler between the seats and and both sides when he does the upholstery.

IMG_5698_zpsowpsqzvb.jpg

Here's the base installed with one seat is it will be when finished.

IMG_5684_zpsrutu3rz8.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpspatflh0t.jpg
Old April 24th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Nothing major to add, just finishing up detail work.

Finally put the car back on the ground after swapping out my eBay lowers to SPC. Adjusted the ride height to where i wanted to be. Trans crossmember is about 5.5" from the ground, from what I have read this enough clearance.

Purchased my insurance and plate as motivation to push me over the finish line in the coming months.

IMG_6129_zps4zu9nqwd.jpg

IMG_6127_zpsrreobilr.jpg

IMG_6122_zpsjvewegj1.jpg

IMG_6130_zpsbft4nrab.jpg

IMG_6223_zpsrtdau2dx.jpg
Old April 24th, 2017, 03:58 PM
car guy

Car has come a long way! Looking great man! Love the bronze color on the wheels.
Old April 24th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Car has come a long way! Looking great man! Love the bronze color on the wheels.

Thanks! Your Cutlass was an inspiration when you built it back then. I remember seeing it at GG Columbus when you finished.

When I ordered them in '12 Jason Rushforth thought the bronze was a great idea because no one was doing that color on muscle cars, especially without a polished lip. The craze back then was "murdered out" all black or something charcoal. The car has taken so long I'm behind the curve now.

Last edited by csouth; April 24th, 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old April 24th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Its coming along nicely, don't worry about the time constraints.
Old April 24th, 2017, 04:44 PM
car guy

If you wait long enough trends repeat

I tried to buy mine back a year ago when it was for sale but could not come up with the funds. I'm hopping its still in his garage and on day I can "make that call"
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Its coming along nicely, don't worry about the time constraints.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's been a long bumpy journey, but I can finally see light!...lol

If you wait long enough trends repeat

I tried to buy mine back a year ago when it was for sale but could not come up with the funds. I'm hopping its still in his garage and on day I can "make that call"
That's what they say. Heck bell bottoms were back in style again for a little while...lol

You're buyer knows what he has, that car will be around I'm sure.
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:57 PM

Chris great job on this, what a vision to put it all together, and with very nice & crisp execution.
Kudos

Brett
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Chris great job on this, what a vision to put it all together, and with very nice & crisp execution.
Kudos

Brett

Thanks for the kind words. Looking to finish this soon, cruisin' weather is right around the corner.....
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:29 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by csouth

You're buyer knows what he has, that car will be around I'm sure.

Last time I talked to him it had been sitting in his garage over 2 years without even being started.
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:12 PM

Last time I talked to him it had been sitting in his garage over 2 years without even being started.
That's not good at all... Is he one of those car hoarders? The kind to have cars and won't sell so no one else has it?
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Very Nice
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Car looks tough, wheels are nice. Keep up the good work!
Old April 28th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
Very Nice
Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Car looks tough, wheels are nice. Keep up the good work!
Thanks.... Once I'm done fooling around, the center caps will go back on.

Should have my gauges and steering wheel installed tonight....
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:10 AM

No updates here in a while.... I changed out my engine management from stock GM to Holley HP EFI. I was having couple of tuning issues that were stopping me from getting the engine to run as it should.
I also added a couple of performance upgrades because I got them for a song. Ported FAST 102. Got the intake for $500 from a guy going to a Supercharger. The TB i bought new. I sold My intake for a net cost of $300! The throttle body was necessary after my switch to DBC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7235.JPG (95.0 KB, 12 views)
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Finally installed my gauge cluster along with my steering wheel and console.
Attached Images
IMG_7529.JPG (99.4 KB, 14 views)
FullSizeRender.jpg (70.5 KB, 13 views)
IMG_7546.JPG (88.2 KB, 18 views)
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Looking good. Power Tour is 9 months away. Good Guys Columbus is 10 months away. Keep the progress going. I told my dad I was disappointed in my current power output and now he is trying to get me to go LQ4. ��
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by deejai35
Looking good. Power Tour is 9 months away. Good Guys Columbus is 10 months away. Keep the progress going. I told my dad I was disappointed in my current power output and now he is trying to get me to go LQ4. ��

Thanks
You can get those pretty cheap right now, but the mileage will be high. I personally like the LY6....
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:27 AM

I see LY6 has better flowing heads. Any other reason? I am still learning about all the engines in the LS family. I would really like to find a 5.7L just so my car can still have a 350 cubic inch motor.
Old October 14th, 2017, 07:23 AM

I see LY6 has better flowing heads. Any other reason? I am still learning about all the engines in the LS family. I would really like to find a 5.7L just so my car can still have a 350 cubic inch motor.
I like the LY6 because if you ever chasing more HP, its the option is already there. I'll use my LS2 for example, I have a stock motor that I purchased a cam to swap in, if I don't feel its enough I will need to port my heads or do forced induction.

CNC porting my heads would cost 1k+. LY6 already has high flowing heads, so a cam swap would put you in a great spot. If I want to get supercharger the cheapest being OEM style, I would need to change my heads to the ones already on the LY6 because the charger is for rectangle port heads which the LY6 has.

Not to say that you want to build this 500hp motor, but the LY6 has a best base to start with IMO.
Old October 14th, 2017, 05:13 PM

Good to know. I think it is time to move on from the small block I have. I am debating Olds 455 or LS motor. So much potential in the modern engine and so much upside. Especially considering that my car should be an all purpose vehicle.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Good to know. I think it is time to move on from the small block I have. I am debating Olds 455 or LS motor. So much potential in the modern engine and so much upside. Especially considering that my car should be an all purpose vehicle.
Unless you're just dying to keep it Olds, I'd do the LS.

Quick Reply: Pro Touring '72 now going LS2