1984 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham photos

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM

1984 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham photos

Found and bought this survivor this summer. 1984 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham in excellent condition with 64,000 miles. More photos in my profile.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...+brougham.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
058.jpg (58.0 KB, 138 views)
057.jpg (64.3 KB, 149 views)
053.jpg (59.1 KB, 155 views)
065.jpg (57.3 KB, 140 views)
IMAG0037.jpg (104.0 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by brichar8; October 14th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM

That is one beautiful car!
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks

Thanks so much. I found it near you in Bristol/Kenosha.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:21 PM

They are like driving in your living room
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM

Wow! That car looks great. How's it look under the hood?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Always room for one more

Beautiful! Looks like a limousine.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:40 PM

Nice car. The '84s were the last true Ninety-Eights, too, as that was the last year they came with V-8 engines.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM

Sweet car I love it!
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

Very nice find. I love comfortable cars, and they don't get much better than that.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM

Very clean. All original except for the battery and the radiator, plugs, wires, and belts (car came with detailed service records) It starts right up, idles smooth and quiet. Trans fluid looks a little dirty and needs a shift point adjustment for 2nd to 3rd, but shifts very smooth otherwise. Had a reputable trans mechanic adjust the d-tent cable, that helped the 1st to 2nd shift point. I plan to drop the pan, change the fluid and the filter and bring it back to him if that does not help. I believe he has an idea what is causing the shift point issue, My parents brought it in for me so I have not spoken with him about a resolution. A/C system is all original...R-22, blows VERY cold, no need to convert it yet. Just replaced the tires with new Hercules white walls and the ride is smooth and quiet, and it handles perfect.
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Just curious what did you pay for it $

Any updated pics or plans for this car? Once again beautiful car!
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Wow - great buy! These were the last of the classy luxury cars in my opinion.
BTW, welcome to the site!
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:02 AM

That is an AWSOME car! It's definitely pristine!
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaDevil88
Just curious what did you pay for it $

Any updated pics or plans for this car? Once again beautiful car!
There is not much to do to this car because it has been well maintained. There are some minor things I plan to do. I plan to replace the headliner and the rear bumper filler that has some cracks. I am looking for the twilight sentinal mechanism and bezel, and rear passenger sail panel reading lamps. Besides these two options and the gauge cluster, the car has all available options. I found OEM wire wheel covers that were never used and swapped them for the hubcaps. Any day now I expect 4 new OEM emblems in the mail that are red (Ninety Eight)instead of the grey (Eighty Eight and Custom Cruiser) that came with the wire wheel covers. I'd like to locate a Castle Oldsmobile dealer emblem like the one in the photo...Anyone in Chicago Paying attention?
Attached Images
IMAG0036.jpg (81.5 KB, 68 views)
IMAG0037.jpg (104.0 KB, 56 views)
Old October 11th, 2013, 12:59 AM

You may be able to restore the old Castle Olds emblem. I've heard pot metal can be restored if it isn't too damaged.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM

That is an amazing car Great color combo! Do the opera lamps works still??
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by PSOldsguy
That is an amazing car Great color combo! Do the opera lamps works still??
Yes and no. The lights were working when I purchased the car in July. The inverter has since burned out. I have found a replacement inverter but yet to install it.
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM

Great car. My dad bought one new in 1984 and drove it until around 2000. He then gave it to my uncle. After his passing the car was ruined in Hurricane Katrina near New Orleans.

It was grey in color with grey interior. It did NOT have a vinyl top and my father was always opposed to them. That car always was a dream to ride in, ran great and never let you down.

Congrats!
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1arunem
Great car. My dad bought one new in 1984 and drove it until around 2000. He then gave it to my uncle. After his passing the car was ruined in Hurricane Katrina near New Orleans.

It was grey in color with grey interior. It did NOT have a vinyl top and my father was always opposed to them. That car always was a dream to ride in, ran great and never let you down.

Congrats!
Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased to know it brought back good memories. I'm proud to have this car. Every time I take it out I come across someone that has a Ninety Eight story to tell, usually about a beloved family member that once had one like it. It brings back great memories. The happiness and joy I see on their face is priceless.
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:13 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Castle Honda is still there. You might want to call them up and talk to a veteran there to see if you can find another.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Castle Honda is still there. You might want to call them up and talk to a veteran there to see if you can find another.
That is a great suggestion. Unfortunately I tried that already and was met with resistance by an unfriendly and slightly condescending lady that answered the phone (she obviously does not have an appreciation for history or nostalgia and probably thought I was crazy). I only wish I had thought of visiting a pull a part yard while I was there. Actually, I'm not all that sure that I really want to glue a dealer emblem to the paint on the car; so it's not that significant to the idea of tweaking the car to new condition. Thanks for your reply!
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:49 PM

Can you tell me where you got the inverter cheers Mike
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:29 AM
85T

wow
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM

very nice! with a moonroof too...bonus!!
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM

Very nice Olds. New here with a silver 84 Regency Brougham Dad bought in 87, all original and needing rear bumper fillers, any recommendation? There are plenty of vendors out there. Also, my opera lights died about a year ago, not sure how to tackle that job. Seems like you might be in the middle of similar repairs...thanks Doug
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:56 AM

Beautiful
Old January 2nd, 2014, 08:28 AM

For the fillers, check with Plastic Parts Inc. in Florida. They are now reproducing ABS fillers for '75/'76 Ninety Eight's and they show a listing for '80-'84 Ninety Eight's as well.

http://plasticpartsinc.com/oldsmobile09.html

As for the dealer badge, if you find one in nice shape, maybe you can cut a piece of a magnetic sheet and glue it to the badge and then just put it on the car using the magnet so it's not glued on and can just be removed whenever you want. Just a thought...one that I'll probably do since I have the dealer badge for my Ninety Eight too.
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by aikmanolds
Very nice Olds. New here with a silver 84 Regency Brougham Dad bought in 87, all original and needing rear bumper fillers, any recommendation? There are plenty of vendors out there. Also, my opera lights died about a year ago, not sure how to tackle that job. Seems like you might be in the middle of similar repairs...thanks Doug
Thanks Doug
I would love to see some photos of your Ninety Eight. Bumper fillers... I have yet to find a source that has the 3 piece bumper filler for the rear as is original. Every source I have found including the link someone here provided all have the 4 piece bumper filler which puts a seam in the center at the license plate. Opera Lamps... I replaced my inverter and mine illuminate. I can help you with replacing the inverter and replacing the EL sheet if they no longer illuminate... if your car has gotten a lot of sun exposure chances are they no longer work. If you send me your email address I'll get with you when I find the time.
Brady
Attached Images
IMAG0306.jpg (20.6 KB, 38 views)
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:56 AM

thanks Brady, I will get some pics up soon. I slid her into the garage to change the water pump, which is a fun job. Doug

samsha1@yahoo.com
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:29 PM

and here we are, out of a 10-year slumber...
Attached Images
84 Olds 1-14 open .jpg (98.3 KB, 50 views)
84 Olds 1-14 lf.jpg (90.6 KB, 48 views)
84 Olds 1-14 int fr.jpg (70.4 KB, 51 views)
84 Olds 1-14 lq .jpg (65.3 KB, 181 views)
84 Olds 1-14 int fr 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 47 views)
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Looks beautiful!

Is that GM Continuous Protection Plan still in effect? After all, what does "continuous" mean if not continuous?

Old January 11th, 2014, 02:13 PM

Very nice Doug, thanks for the photos. How many miles does it have?
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:06 PM

...just a hair over 170,000, but it could pass for 70,000. Most of the mileage was highway. When Dad bought it, it already had 60,000 (1987!), he drove it for a few years as his retirement car, and later got nervous about it as he aged, so we found him a "beater" ('77 V-6 Delta), and I took her over. He loved the car so much, and he loved that I appreciated it too. Still runs great and turns heads. It really pays to maintain a car. But alas, the headliner has finally begun falling, I had to disconnect the antenna because it wouldn't quit running, and then there's the rear bumper filler...
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Looks beautiful!

Is that GM Continuous Protection Plan still in effect? After all, what does "continuous" mean if not continuous?

I'm a little more interested in making a claim on the "Auto Armor paint Protection with Teflon," given the silver latex is getting very thin
Attached Images
84 olds quarter window.jpg (68.8 KB, 36 views)
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:41 PM

center emblems

Originally Posted by brichar8
There is not much to do to this car because it has been well maintained. There are some minor things I plan to do. I plan to replace the headliner and the rear bumper filler that has some cracks. I am looking for the twilight sentinal mechanism and bezel, and rear passenger sail panel reading lamps. Besides these two options and the gauge cluster, the car has all available options. I found OEM wire wheel covers that were never used and swapped them for the hubcaps. Any day now I expect 4 new OEM emblems in the mail that are red (Ninety Eight)instead of the grey (Eighty Eight and Custom Cruiser) that came with the wire wheel covers. I'd like to locate a Castle Oldsmobile dealer emblem like the one in the photo...Anyone in Chicago Paying attention?

Brady - my Brougham came with these center emblems and I believe they are original to the car since it was only 3 years old when we got it. My Dad later picked up a garden-variety 84 98 Regency, which did have the red centers you describe (this was a lighter car with no opera lights or cornering lights, and had button-tufted brocade fabric interior as opposed to the velour). I was under the impression the red centers were for the cheaper car, so I kept mine and sold the regency with the red centers. ?

I did grab this front plate, however...
Attached Images
84 Olds 1-14.jpg (65.7 KB, 36 views)
84 Olds 1-14 plate.jpg (58.2 KB, 38 views)
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by aikmanolds
Brady - my Brougham came with these center emblems and I believe they are original to the car since it was only 3 years old when we got it. My Dad later picked up a garden-variety 84 98 Regency, which did have the red centers you describe (this was a lighter car with no opera lights or cornering lights, and had button-tufted brocade fabric interior as opposed to the velour). I was under the impression the red centers were for the cheaper car, so I kept mine and sold the regency with the red centers. ?

I did grab this front plate, however...
Doug, I'm glad you brought that subject up. I believe you are correct and I stand corrected. I looked at the 1983 and the 1984 Oldsmobile sales brochures that I have and it clearly shows the center cap emblem for 1983 as being red, and 1984 being gray. I've also looked at photos of other 83 and 84 Ninety Eights and the same holds true. I'll be putting the gray emblems back on my Ninety Eight now.
You must be proud having your father's car, the history and memories that go with it are priceless. I do know the history of my car and how proud the previous owner was of it which gives me a stronger sense of responsibility to maintain it.
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Grey Emblem, brand new never used (came with the brand new wire wheels). The package in the photo is for the red emblem that I ordered separately.
Attached Images
IMAG0340.jpg (38.5 KB, 33 views)
IMAG0342.jpg (41.2 KB, 36 views)
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Very nice!!!
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:17 AM

I wondered if the wire wheel vendor also supplied you with the hold down hardware and "key"?
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:44 PM

yes, and yes.

Quick Reply: 1984 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham photos