1957 Olds Ninety Eight Convertible Questions

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2012, 06:24 PM

1957 Olds Ninety Eight Convertible Questions

Hey everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of my dad, but we've run into some issues I'm hoping someone can help us with. The person restoring the car (frame off) basically just gave up after working on it for 6+ years. He asked where to drop it off because they couldn't figure out how to wire up the car. They refused to even provide a list of what has been checked out and what still needs to be done. I found some things, but I suspect there will be many more items. So we took it to an automotive wiring place and they got the wiring sorted out, but when I stopped in, I realized there are quite a few remaining items. My dad can't see well, so I'm trying to help out as best I can. I have the shop manual and interchange manual, but there are still some things I can't figure out. Any help any of you could provide would be much appreciated. Here's a short list of some unknowns.

- The windshield washer fluid bottle has a "water" and "vacuum" connection on it. The vacuum connection isn't mentioned anywhere in any book. Where do these lines come from/go to.

- The R.H. side diaphragm by the blower and the lo/hi switch next to it isn't working. Is there any place to buy these parts?

- Where does the front speaker mount? Is it right behind the radio in the dash?

- There are 2 small oval duct pieces that are about 3 inches long and are missing. They connect from the air duct manifold to the defroster under the dash. Any idea where I could get these?

I'll post more questions soon, but like I said any help would be appreciated. Like I said, my dad is older and can't see well. The shop restoring the car was not very honest and I'm just trying to do what I can to finish the car.
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM

Welcome to the site! Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions, but we've got several members with your vintage of cars. Hopefully one of them will speak up soon. John
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Press here

greetings from Switzerland

Oldsbiel
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:00 AM

Thank you for the link. It has lots of useful information, however it does not mention the windshield washer fluid bottle. It only describes the windshield washer motor. I can't seem to find a picture of an engine compartment where the washer fluid bottle is shown.
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:15 AM

look again, it was supplemented (Press here)
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:37 AM

I think I'm still missing something. I see where the water line connects from the washer fluid bottle to the wiper motor, but I don't see where the vacuum line on the fluid bottle attaches to. I didn't see a separate electric disk wiping water pump in the car? The shop manual shows a vacuum line from the fuel/vacuum pump to the wiper motor with a "T" connection to the heater/ventilator controls. It doesn't show any vacuum line to the water bottle which has lead to some confusion.
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Ok, look again, it was supplemented (Press here)
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM

ivmachine, it's been years since I had a 57 olds but on a 55 the speaker is mounted to the right of the radio with its own bracket( music and other noise exits through the area of the clock.I have a extra 57 radio(no speaker)) and it has no previsions for a speaker to bolt to it that I can see... Tedd
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks Tedd. The shop manual has a side view showing where the speak is located, but it is pretty crude. It almost looks like the speaker should be mounted directly behind the radio.
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Oldsbiel,

Thank you for supplying additional pictures. After looking at them as well as some other research it appears the vacuum line to the washer fluid bottle should come from the switch. The water line should go to the spray nozzles by the wipers. The reason I was confused was because the lid to the filler bottle does not have a pump attached to it. It's missing completely. Looks like one more thing for me to find.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM

the rear seat speaker is mounted under the parcel shelf
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Oldsbiel,

Thank you for supplying the picture.