1987 Olds Regency 98 Broughm Idle Problems

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Unhappy 1987 Olds Regency 98 Broughm Idle Problems

Hello all,
I have a 1987 Olds Regency 98 Brougham with the 3.8 EFI engine. My situation is that It has had this Idle problem ever since I've owned it (4 years). I starts fine, idles high and after a couple minutes at normal idle is missed, idles rough and at time wants to die. If i put it in gear it has died on me many times. Start up again okay then continues. I have even had it die on me as I sat at a light. Again starts up fine. I have replaced plugs, wires. Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Mass Airflow Sensor, EGR, Checked fuel system. There are no diagnostic coded to help...one in a while my service engine light will go on only because it was about ti die on me but eventually goes off after a few seconds once i accelerate. Another symptom is hesitation on acceleration.

What can the problem be?...Please help!!!

Old December 11th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Jim's rare 80

My friend had similar problems with his wife's Delta. Turned out to be the coilpack. I'm not sure that is your problem, but might be something to look at.
Hope this helps., and let us know what you find out.
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's rare 80
My friend had similar problems with his wife's Delta. Turned out to be the coilpack. I'm not sure that is your problem, but might be something to look at.
Hope this helps., and let us know what you find out.
I will look into that and keep you posted...Thanks Jim's rare 80.
I am confused though why no codes have come up regarding this problem. I will look more into that too. Any more advise is appreciated from anyone.

Thanks again,
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

You already said you replaced your egr, but A lot of times the EGR port is blocked solid with carbon in those motors.

How about a Manifold Air Pressure sensor (MAP) does it have one of those too?

How well is your exhaust system breathing? If you don't have much backpressure that motor could run lousy, and if the system is clogged, same thing.

Are you doing all of the work yourself on this car or is a shop?
I wouldn't want you getting unnecessary things fixed if you are paying for shop time.
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
You already said you replaced your egr, but A lot of times the EGR port is blocked solid with carbon in those motors.

How about a Manifold Air Pressure sensor (MAP) does it have one of those too?

How well is your exhaust system breathing? If you don't have much backpressure that motor could run lousy, and if the system is clogged, same thing.

Are you doing all of the work yourself on this car or is a shop?
I wouldn't want you getting unnecessary things fixed if you are paying for shop time.
The EGR has been replaced but I will check the port. As far as the MAP sensor I will check and I'm pretty sure it is equipped with one...according to my repair manual and hence the answer to your question, yes I'm doing all the repairs myself, Although I have had a shop do some computer diagnostics on the car since I do not have access to such sophisticated equipment. Which still I'm there were no codes.

Anyway thanks for your input J-(Chicago) and I will keep all of you posted. As soon as the weather breaks from this Icy mess here, I will continue my quest to get this car running smoothly.
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM

This is my 1987 Olds 98 Regency Brougham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010002.jpg (99.1 KB, 59 views)
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM

It is a good idea to remove the throttle body and desludge it. There is a device on the throttle body called the idle air bypass which maintains idle speed and generally gets clogged up with carbon. It might also be a crank positioning sensor. The GM 3.8L engines had a common problem with the crank positioning sensor getting wet and giving a false signal to the engine. You might want to clean the crank sensor with electrical cleaner and make sure it is sealed and seated properly.
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That thing looks pretty nice for an 87. all of these cars in Chicagoland that i see are beat to crap. Usually have ridiculously loud exhaust holes on them, rust bubbles the size of my head, and have 16-20 yr old kids drivin them to school.

My buddy has an 88 celebrity, and a 92 buick century that he does his own work on..... he loves those kinda cars. I'll see him this weekend. He's been beatin' the century around for at least 10 years, so He would probably be able to tell you to the mile what's gonna break.
It has over 200000 miles on it.
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
That thing looks pretty nice for an 87. all of these cars in Chicagoland that i see are beat to crap. Usually have ridiculously loud exhaust holes on them, rust bubbles the size of my head, and have 16-20 yr old kids drivin them to school.

My buddy has an 88 celebrity, and a 92 buick century that he does his own work on..... he loves those kinda cars. I'll see him this weekend. He's been beatin' the century around for at least 10 years, so He would probably be able to tell you to the mile what's gonna break.
It has over 200000 miles on it.
Thanks...Well the truth be told my son once owned it till the timing gear went out on it. Since then he bought an 2000 Intrigue. (which I had made a post earlier this year regarding the service engine keep popping on) and I redid the heads and timing. Funny thing My son was 19 at that time and now my 20 year old daughter drives it to and from school and work...so yes 16 - 20 year olds are driving hem...LOL

Anyway I love this car, body is in near perfect condition with some very small rust bubble, near the trim mostly. Interior is very clean. Some interior work need be done. Power everything. So I think something worth fixing don't you think? Maybe would sell for the right price though

So I wait for the weather to break to get working on it...little at a time. I will also get more pics. too when I can.

OH YEAH!! This car has 140000 mile so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010002.jpg (99.1 KB, 21 views)
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:55 AM

1987 Olds Ninety Eight

Hey llj537,

I know what you mean. The problem is your Idle Load Compensator. This is the silver part on the right side (driver's side) of the carburator. When it goes bad, it causes vaccuum problems. This is the reason why you are having stalling or rough idling problems. I have the same type of car and I also am having the same problem. Can't seem to find the part either. If you are lucky enough to find the part, you idling problem will go away. I hope this helps.

Ty
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM

May be a dumb idea but on a car that old check the catalatic converter may be stalling you out if its clogged. Happened with another car i had.