1983 Ninety Eight, 9 original miles ?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2017, 05:22 PM

1983 Ninety Eight, 9 original miles ?

Anyone familiar with the 1983 Ninety Eight for sale in Chicago that the poster of the craigslist ad claims to have only 9 miles? Says the car was driven from the dealer to the garage. It's a 2 door regency in briar brown. The poster did send some pics but failed to engage in a discussion or answer any of the questions I posed. The poster also list it as "a gold color" and having a manual transmission. Appears to me this person doesn't know anything about Oldsmobiles or much about this car. Interesting case.
I can provide a link if anyone is interested. I didn't want to do so here since this is not the classified section.
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:11 PM

I called on this car when it was for sale last year; maybe six months ago. I spoke to the son and daughter in law (I think). It was very bizarre as they were selling the car for the father, however they knew nothing about the car, except that it was worth $30,000. Did eventually speak with the car's owner and was going to see the car. Shortly after that, the daughter in law calls me back and says the car is sold, for $30,000. Very strange; wasn't worth the nonsense.
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
I called on this car when it was for sale last year; maybe six months ago. I spoke to the son and daughter in law (I think). It was very bizarre as they were selling the car for the father, however they knew nothing about the car, except that it was worth $30,000. Did eventually speak with the car's owner and was going to see the car. Shortly after that, the daughter in law calls me back and says the car is sold, for $30,000. Very strange; wasn't worth the nonsense.
The whole situation seems fishy. It appears that the idea was to store the car and sell it when the value increases. I'd guess it's not worth anymore now than what it was sold for new which would be $17k at the most. Where they are coming up with $30k I don't know. The photos are cryptic at best and basicly show a very dusty car with what appears to be the original white wall tires. There is no mention if the fluids were drained 30 years ago or if the vehicle runs...I would guess there is a gas tank full of varnish. It seems that it would be a perfect addition to a museum or collection had it been properly maintained. "Gold color", "manual transmission", at least they didn't advertise it as a "Delta 98" LOL.
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:45 AM

I would be interested to see the CL ad. I checked out the Chicago, IL CL and couldn't find it. There are some cool Oldsmobiles for sale in Chicago right now though.
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I would be interested to see the CL ad. I checked out the Chicago, IL CL and couldn't find it. There are some cool Oldsmobiles for sale in Chicago right now though.
Here is the link and I've copied and pasted the adv below if the link doesn't work.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5946993935.html
1983 ANTIQUE OLDSMOBILE REGENCY 98 - $30000 (CHICAGO)

1980 OLDSMOBILE REGENCY 98

condition: new
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual

ANTIQUE 1983 OLDSMOBILE REGENCY 98
ONLY 9 miles, in MINT/NEW condition. DRIVEN FROM DEALERSHIP STRAIGHT TO GARAGE CAR STORAGE FOR 30 YEARS.
Never used has been and still is in a car storage garage.
It is dusty. Needs a car wash.
Only serious buyers.
Golden color
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:32 AM

I've seen many Olds "98 Regency's" but never seen or heard of one with a standard transmission. Has anyone else? Larry
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
I've seen many Olds "98 Regency's" but never seen or heard of one with a standard transmission. Has anyone else? Larry
As I said earlier, these people don't know anything about this car. They also described it as a "golden color" (its briar brown) and listed it as a 1984, then a 1980. I am sure it is an automatic.
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:41 AM

Old January 20th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Ok, thanks for posting the link. I missed it because I was looking for an ad with pics.

Seeing the car and reading the ad, one can tell it will NEVER sell. It's like the ads Jaunty75 (one of our other members) posted recently, only these people are certifiably bonkers.

It seems like a straight Olds under the dust. If the owners cared enough to clean it, get it running and take good pictures of it at a park it might actually sell. I've seen pristine late 70s / early 80s B bodies list for $12k.
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Ok, thanks for posting the link. I missed it because I was looking for an ad with pics.

Seeing the car and reading the ad, one can tell it will NEVER sell. It's like the ads Jaunty75 (one of our other members) posted recently, only these people are certifiably bonkers.

It seems like a straight Olds under the dust. If the owners cared enough to clean it, get it running and take good pictures of it at a park it might actually sell. I've seen pristine late 70s / early 80s B bodies list for $12k.
Agreed 100%. They claim in the ad that it was driven from the dealer to the garage. As you can see it is in a commercial parking garage. I realize in Chicago many people contract park, but unless the car owner owns the garage, the cost for storing it there for 33 years would exceed $30k. The whole situation seems ridiculous.
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by brichar8
I realize in Chicago many people contract park, but unless the car owner owns the garage, the cost for storing it there for 33 years would exceed $30k. The whole situation seems ridiculous.
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
Don't know if it was a scam but it almost had that feel to it. Also, if the car supposedly "sold for $30,000" why is it now for sale again, six months later, with the same pictures?
Old January 20th, 2017, 03:33 PM

The guy that supposedly was buying it, failed to get his loan from the "Title Loan Company " down the street. Larry