Pic's of some of my "3/4" race parts for the "big Girls" lol

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Pic's of some of my "3/4" race parts for the "big Girls" lol

Back when I got carried away with my 1967 Olds 98 the driver-side dual exhaust manifolds were rare as hen's teeth, now they repo the driver's side. I used Toro manifold, cut it, rotated it and nickle rod welded it. I little grinding here and there and true decent flowing duel exhaust. I made my own shift linkage but later on I parted out a real 1969 "Hearse" Olds 98, ya the dead people type. It had the...

Last edited by Oldsguy; January 26th, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: removed bad link
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Hmmm, I'm not good at posting pic's! I'll try again. http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...14-2007-42.jpg http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...shifter005.jpg http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...ifter002-1.jpg http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...lus6798016.jpg
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM

In the engine pic I have a couple more one of one parts. Air cleaner is made from adding second snorkle and the thermosat housing spacer is made with return hose from rear of intake manifold.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Past Administrator

Nice work. I noticed your reference to "3/4" in parentheses. I infer you are meaning, "my own home brewed speed improvements". I do get a kick when some gold chainer at a show says "Yeah she's got a 3/4 race cam", I want to ask him what happened to the other 1/4?

btw, I did something very similar on the driver's side exhaust on the engine in the '69 Delta I recently owned.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Ya, that's a joke with me, referring to the "old days" when we got our racing parts from J.C.Whitney, they had "3/4 and Full race cams.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember the old terms of 3/4 race or full race cam. I think it was pretty much a flathead thing. When I started fooling with cars, the flathead was still around but the SBC was taking over. Of course you could find a few hot rods around with the Olds 303 and 324. The 3/4 or full race term was replaced by the term Duntov cam which most of us have heard. The 097 Duntov was the one to have. I still have what is supposedly a full race flathead cam, new timing gears and adjustable Johnson lifter with both wrenches. The cam still has the plastic on it which has hardened and cracked. I have had it since about 1963. A guy gave it to me and told me to sell it and split whatever I got for it.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The cam still has the plastic on it which has hardened and cracked. I have had it since about 1963. A guy gave it to me and told me to sell it and split whatever I got for it.
How much do you want for it? Better yet just give it to me, you can't split nothing so you'll be way ahead. I jest, actually I wouldn't know a flathead cam if I tripped over it.

Really cool pics Kennybill, what drag strip is that? If it's in Ohio I don't recognize it or I'm just getting too old to remember. I swear I've seen your car somewhere, ever been to the Solon Commons cruise or the Brecksville BOP show??
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM

........ it was pretty much a flathead thing ........
Pretty much, but not limited to flatheads. Full race = Competition, and ¾ race = Hot street.

About 15 years ago, my Dad put a ¾ cam in his '31 Ford.

........ The 097 Duntov was the one to have ........
097 was the last three digits of the Chev part number. Duntov was the Chev Engineer who designed it.

A solid lifter cam used, from '57 to '61, in high HP Chevs and Vettes.

Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; January 26th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM

Hello again, To amh555, that pic is at Thompson Drag Strip east of Cleveland. Probaby in your neck of the woods. I am near Lordstown, Ohio. Thompson is a little over an hour drive for me. Quaker City Drag Strip is closer to me but I like Thompson better. I've had that car at the Miller Oldsmobile meet at Norwalk a couple of times. Only raced it once at the Miller meet 5 years ago, it took 3rd place $ in the street class. It was at the Alliance Olds show 5 years ago. I went to a "dust-off" near Cleveland 2 years ago but I took my 71 Olds Royale conv. Last few years I have been to busy to "play" with my toys. Work has slowed down so maybe this year I can get back into my Olds. Later, Ken
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, I practically lived at Thompson back in the day, about 20-30 minutes from me. My bro-in-law lives out there, I love the sounds you hear late on Saturday night sitting around the campfire. That concrete structure threw me off, age thing again. I remember they would stop the races to let airplanes land, that C-47 had just enough room. I've been to Quaker City a few times, that hill you had to go up in the staging lanes was always fun, if I got the right place. I swear my car will be finished for that Olds club dust-off every year, going on 3 years and haven't got there yet.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Its cool to see a big 4 door come of the line like yours. It sure fools the mustang crowd. My 57 Super 88 with a 455 has the same effect. Just finished it the end of last summer hope to run at a track this year to see how it performs
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM

To amh555, Yes, Quaker has that hill before the starting line. They almost closed it a couple years ago. I use to love Meader Drag strip, (Ohio Drag City.) It was so close I use to drive home with open headers back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Try that now days! I was just a one car Olds drag racer that got scared that Olds engines would get hard to find because they quit making the 455's. I have a car hauler (named Big Daddy) and I started dragging old 88's/98's out of fields/hills/gulleys/mountain tops from Ohio/Pa/W.Va for the engines. I pulled the engines, scraped/sold the rest. Some weren't to bad so I started taking a liking to them. Bad idea, then they turned into money pits. I joke about that but it is true. I don't have tons of money into them because I use to sell alot of parts. The Turquiose 98 was owned by a deceased older guy. It was wrecked from behind the front driver's side wheel to the rear bumper. Interior and the rest was nice. A Friend of mine did the body work. The 71 Royale conv. I dragged off a hill in Pa. where it had sat for 8 years. I have a lot of work/time in them. I have been out of it messing with Olds for about 3 years because of work/ other interests. I bought the house of MY dreams(divorced 7 years ago) but I am 5 miles away from my buildings (the Compound) where I keep my cars. I have 3 buildings full of Olds & parts. I need to put a big building up at my house but now work went into the tank so I am holding off plus I am not getting any younger. I figure I can always sell stuff when I retire. I hope to get my race car back together this spring. I have everything I need except time/energy! I am 59 and in great health but I don't have the energy/drive I use to. Maybe I will run into u sometime. Later Ken
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info and story Ken. Now I know why all the Oldsmobiles around here out in the fields are gone. I thought that was Quaker City with the hill, I heard it almost shut down and was saved at the last minute. I'm almost 54 so not far behind you, most of us car guys stay young at heart though, the rest of the body has the problems. I just have my garage and that's about it, not by my choice, the kids want to eat and have clothes and go to college, the nerve of them. Are you still selling any parts? I think we talked on the phone a few years back about some parts but you were sidelined with a leg problem? I have all the major parts now and just looking for a few odds and ends, I do need paint job if you have one of those laying around.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Hello, Yep, that was me. I snapped both bones in my ankle a little over 2 years ago. That changed my life. I use to be able to run up ladders and do roofing till that injury. I get around OK but it still bothers me all the time. I hope to get back more into Oldsmobiles this year. The Steel Mill I work at is idled now and as soon as we finish some repairing I should be laid off. I have to do some work over my Daughter (the Lawyers') house. I have more stuff to do than life left in me. Talk to u again, Ken