The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Greetings from Germany

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Greetings from Germany

Hello !

I am Michael, 44 years old and I live in the south of Germany.
I have always been dreaming of a US full-size cruiser and now I made my dreams come true and I bought a 69 Delta 88 Custom Holiday last week.

Hope I will enjoy and have a lot of fun with her and she will stay with me for many, many years.

I am quite sure that I will have a lot of questions in the near future and hope I will get a lot of Support from all of you !

First Thing I would like to know: Is there anywhere a 69 Service Manual available to download?

Last edited by snail; December 1st, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old December 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats and post some pictures of her. A Chassis service manual can usually be found on Ebay, or perhaps one of the guys here has one. Post a parts wanted classified for one.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:00 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, congrats and post some pictures of her....

Here we go...:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Sweet... and a 2 door to boot.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM

Welcome to the Site.Try www.freemanuals.com, may not be free but reasonably priced . Larry
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Here is a link to this site. The posting was only 7 below your posting. I believe he has one for 1969.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ru-1994-a.html
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

Welcome aboard
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Welcome. Here is a link to this site. The posting was only 7 below your posting. I believe he has one for 1969.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ru-1994-a.html
thanks - have contacted him...
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by snail
thanks - have contacted him...
Glad to help. Thanks is how this place works.
Old December 12th, 2015, 02:58 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

...today the 88 was brought to my Buddy in CA by the seller and I finally bought her, so since about 3 hours I´m a proud owner of an Olds !!!

Unfortunately I don´t have much of the original paperwork (like built sheet, window sticker or whatever,...) Is there any Chance to get some factory Information (based on the VIN) somewhere in the web?
Old December 12th, 2015, 03:40 PM

Unfortunately I don´t have much of the original paperwork (like built sheet, window sticker or whatever,...) Is there any Chance to get some factory Information (based on the VIN) somewhere in the web?
In a word no. Detailed production records were not kept, and very few people who own cars as old as yours have the original window sticker. The build sheet, if there is one, would be found in the car somewhere...maybe.

Lansing-built cars did not have them as Lansing was a stickler about making sure they were thrown away. From your vehicle's VIN, it can be determined which factory built your car. If it wasn't Lansing, it's possible the build sheet is in your car, but it's generally not worth taking your car apart just to look for it as it was commonly left in obscure, hard-to-get-at locations, like taped to the top of the gas tank or inside one of the doors. Remember that the build sheet was never meant to be a document that came with the car when it was delivered to the purchaser. It was used in production of the vehicle and was often thrown away at the end of the line.

People who find their car's build sheet generally do so because they have taken the car apart for some other reason, like servicing or replacing the gas tank, replacing a door window, or something like this. As I said, given the build sheet would be in any of several locations, if it's even in the car at all, it's not worth the trouble looking for it.

VINs tell you very little about the car that you can't tell just by looking at it. For 1969, It will tell you make, model, body style, engine (but only whether it's 6-cylinder or a V-8, but not which V-8), model year, and assembly plant.

In fact, we can tell you what your car's VIN will mostly look like just from what you've described.

3643_9_XXXXXX

3 = Oldsmobile
6 = Delta 88 Royale/Delta 88 Custom
4 = even number, therefore V-8 engine
3_ = 37 if it's a two-door hardtop or 39 if a four-door hardtop
9 = model year 1969
_ = a letter designating the plant where manufactured
XXXXXX = production sequence number at that plant

So if your car is a two-door hardtop built at Lansing, the VIN would be 364379MXXXXXX
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:27 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Thanks for the answer!
I already did a VIN decode for the car and it is a two-door Hardtop, but built in Southgate plant:

Year: 1969
Division: Oldsmobile
Series: Delta Eighty-Eight Custom
Body: 2dr Holiday Hardtop
Plant: Southgate, California
Serial Number: xxxxxx

I also contacted gmmediaarchive.com, but based upon your answer I doubt that I will get some Information...
Old December 12th, 2015, 06:46 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Snail!
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:24 PM

I also contacted gmmediaarchive.com, but based upon your answer I doubt that I will get some Information...
The most they're going to be able to tell you is the car's base price and how many were made. But we can tell you that right now.

The base price of a 1969 Delta 88 Custom 2-door hardtop (Holiday Coupe) was $3,508. Production was 22,083. That actually makes it the rarest of the '69 Delta 88 Customs as production of the other two styles was 31,012 for the Town Sedan (four-door non-hardtop) and 36,502 for the Holiday Sedan (four-door hardtop).

Given that your car was not made at Lansing, it's possible that there is a build sheet in it somewhere. But I wouldn't start taking the car apart looking for it. It wouldn't tell you anything about the car itself that you don't already know, but it would tell you the dealer to whom the car was shipped and thus where it was sold originally (but not the who the original buyer was). It would also just be a cool piece of literature to have about the car.
Old December 13th, 2015, 02:53 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

I´m mostly interested in the factory installed Options as there is a dual exhaust available at the car which was just part of the "Delta GT" Option containing also the 390HP 4bbl Version of the 455.

Also there is a towbar installed (not sure whether this was offered for the custom 2Dr Holiday ex factory?), but I guess this was fittet later on by the owner - see Picture.

As I am a completely newbie and don´t have any experience so far with that great american cars (hope I can and will learn a lot from you guys ), can you tell me how to distinguish what Kind of carb is installed (do you have Pictures of a 2bbl and 4bbl carb to compare?) and what engine type is available (I noticed already in some threads that there are different numbers on the engine, but I don´t know exactly where on the engine is what number and what´s the meaning of that number in Detail... - maybe sombody of you can also support for that with some example Pictures - would be very appreciable !).

I already ordered a Service Manual (guess in it there is also Information about that, but this will takes some days/weeks til it is shipped to me and available in my hands.
Attached Images
Heck2_Forum2.jpg (367.6 KB, 54 views)
links vorne_Forum.jpg (329.3 KB, 39 views)
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:10 AM

Here's the page for the Delta 88 Custom from the 1969 Olds Dealer's Specs Book.

Note that the standard engine was the 310 hp, regular-fuel, 2-bbl carb 455. In the third column, engine options L31 and L32 were available.

As far as the trailer hitch, I'm guessing that that's not factory installed. But you could order options to ready the car for trailer towing. Note options F35 (heavy duty frame), G51 (heavy duty springs), and Y72 (heavy duty cooling).

Note options B01 and B07, which are heavy-duty suspension packages. Option M55 is an auxiliary transmission oil cooler for trailer towing.

I'm sure many owners of Delta 88s towed trailers without any heavy-duty options. They decided after they owned the car that they might like to tow a trailer with it, anyway, and just had a hitch installed. I wouldn't assume that, just because your car has a hitch, that it was equipped from the factory with any of these trailer-towing options. You can probably see if some of them are there by just looking the car over. But I don't know, for example, how easy it is to tell if the car has the heavy-duty frame.

Old April 24th, 2016, 07:54 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Thumbs up Probably next week she´ll be ready to drive...

Hey Guys,

I just want to give you an update:
In the meanwhile my Delta arrived in Germany. Everything went well with shipping and the "Goldie" was delivered without shipping dmages to me.

All the mandatory conversions for EU-regulations are done. Also Shocks and brake-lines have been replaced. Additionally a Service incl. new spark plugs, Exchange of engine and transmission oil and filters and a tune-up of the carb was done.

This week she got the approval regarding conformity and safety and also the approval as a historic vehicle.
So next week I should be able to get German paperwork (title) and registration and if everything is going well I should be able to enjoy my first cruise with her next week-end!!!

What still has to be done (not right now) are new manifold gaskets.
I´m not sure whether the manifold screws will come out easily...
And I don´t want that they will break.

So I´m asking whether you see a Problem for that, whether you can give some hints/advices to avoide that they will break, respectively how to proceed that they are coming out without Problems and should this be done with warm engine/manifold or better when they´re cold

Today I started buffing the spoke hubcaps - 2 of em are already done.
Attached please see the result (left not buffed, right one finished). I´m quite sure they will look great when installed...
Radkappen.jpg Delta.jpg
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:17 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

First Drive

Yesterday I got the paperwork done and received my German plates for her.
--> today I did the first drive with her:
Old April 29th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Administrator

There are no exhaust manifold gaskets used originally, so I'm assuming you mean the intake and carburetor gaskets. Those bolts should come out fairly easy with no issues.

Congrats on getting her safely and on the road.
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:28 AM

Hello and welcome, almost neighbours.

All the mandatory conversions for EU-regulations are done.
Can i ask what you had to do? I managed to get nothing done to mine when registering it to Finnish registry. Masking "illegal side markers" with tape just for inspection was okay for inspector for example. He just sayed its up to you to drive with them if police interests about them.
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:59 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

added a second one to my collection

As you know, since beginning of 2016 I am enjoying my 69 Delta 88 Custom called "Goldie":

"Goldie" in front of my home in Germany

Now, there is an update as I added a second one (blue) to my Collection and "Blue Moon" was just delivered last week to me in Germany.
She is also a 69 Delta 88 Custom but has the 365 HP 4Bbl 455 engine, and has additionally (compared to Options of "Goldie") AC (not connected) and power seats:

Picture Shows "Blue Moon" in CA before shipping to Germany...

Currently the starter is not turning the engine, so I have to replace it.
My plan is to order the Powermaster 9610.
Can you confirm that with 180 ft-lb it is strong enough also for the 10.25:1 compression and will fit without anny issues as replacement?
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Very Cool!
If you could, please take some pictures of these two great American Cars with some of your awesome German Castles and old buildings in the background.
Thanks
Tom
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:17 PM

As you know, since beginning of 2016 I am enjoying my 69 Delta 88 Custom called "Goldie":

"Goldie" in front of my home in Germany

Now, there is an update as I added a second one (blue) to my Collection and "Blue Moon" was just delivered last week to me in Germany.
She is also a 69 Delta 88 Custom but has the 365 HP 4Bbl 455 engine, and has additionally (compared to Options of "Goldie") AC (not connected) and power seats:

Picture Shows "Blue Moon" in CA before shipping to Germany...

Currently the starter is not turning the engine, so I have to replace it.
My plan is to order the Powermaster 9610.
Can you confirm that with 180 ft-lb it is strong enough also for the 10.25:1 compression and will fit without anny issues as replacement?
Why don't you have someone rebuilt original starter? Nice blue one.!
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:20 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
...If you could, please take some pictures of these two great American Cars with some of your awesome German Castles and old buildings in the background...
Tom
Hi Tom,

we still have winter here and there is a lot of salt on the roads
Therfore "Goldie" is still hibernating until April or so.

As soon as spring has chasen the winter, I will try to make some according Pictures and upload them...

Has anybody some Feedback regarding my question about the Powermaster mini starter?
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:25 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by eric66
Why don't you have someone rebuilt original starter? Nice blue one.!
Not that easy to find somebody here in Germany that can and will rebuild the starter. Additionally I guess a Little bit more of torque can not be wrong ;-)
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Hi Tom,

we still have winter here and there is a lot of salt on the roads
Therfore "Goldie" is still hibernating until April or so.

As soon as spring has chasen the winter, I will try to make some according Pictures and upload them...

Has anybody some Feedback regarding my question about the Powermaster mini starter?
I will check on summit racing web site to see if its compatible.Yes my wife back home visting her mother in Latvia complaining about the winter weather wants to be back in the states ..She can't wait to go cruising again in the baby blue one.
Old February 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM

Not that easy to find somebody here in Germany that can and will rebuild the starter. Additionally I guess a Little bit more of torque can not be wrong ;-)
Summit website says it's compatible with olds 455 up to 14 to 1 compression ratio engine. Maybe some other Oldsmobile brothers can verify application?
Old March 18th, 2017, 01:23 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

changed mind and went to remanufactured OEM style starter

I changed my mind and instead the 200 bucks Powermaster I tried a 50$ (+core) remanufactured starter from O´Reilly.

The starter works perfect after installation - fitted perfect and is turning quite fast enough to start the engine without any Problems (just "plug and play").

As my "Blue Moon" has single exhaust, replacement was easy with enough space so the replacement was no issue at all (old one did not had any shims installed, so new one was also installed without shims and everything seems to be fine - no noises during or after cranking) and could be done faster than expected

If the starter will work in the future as it does right know and the performance won´t decrease caused by regular usage, I would say the more expensive investment of a high torque or mini-starter is completely overrated - at least for my application (455 4barrel, single exhaust) and so far I am really happy with the cheaper one !
Old March 18th, 2017, 07:22 AM

I changed my mind and instead the 200 bucks Powermaster I tried a 50$ (+core) remanufactured starter from O´Reilly.

The starter works perfect after installation - fitted perfect and is turning quite fast enough to start the engine without any Problems (just "plug and play").

As my "Blue Moon" has single exhaust, replacement was easy with enough space so the replacement was no issue at all (old one did not had any shims installed, so new one was also installed without shims and everything seems to be fine - no noises during or after cranking) and could be done faster than expected

If the starter will work in the future as it does right know and the performance won´t decrease caused by regular usage, I would say the more expensive investment of a high torque or mini-starter is completely overrated - at least for my application (455 4barrel, single exhaust) and so far I am really happy with the cheaper one !
Great to hear that ,i remembered asking about getting your old starter rebuild.This is just as good a direct bolt in installation ,alot cheaper more beer money
Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:41 PM

Nice!
maybe we see us some time at a car meet
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:58 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by R_CK_R
Nice!
maybe we see us some time at a car meet
Why Not !?!
Or having a Joints Cruise...

Wo kommsch denn genau her?
(Translation: Wehre exactly are you from)
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:16 PM

Old June 30th, 2017, 02:59 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
Very Cool!
If you could, please take some pictures of these two great American Cars with some of your awesome German Castles and old buildings in the background.
Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom,

as I did some cruises now, I had also the chance to shoot a pic of Goldie in front of "Burg Hohenzollern". Additionally I attached another one showing the Castle itself more detailed...
Attached Images
20170626_103731.jpg (1.63 MB, 9 views)
20170630_234214.jpg (39.2 KB, 8 views)
Old June 30th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Congrats on #2