The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New in Wisconsin.

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2014, 09:25 PM

New in Wisconsin.

Hello. Just bought my first Olds. 1962 Dynamic 88 4 dr sedan. Not a show car but a cool looking driver. Some would call it a rat rod, but it is still relatively stock.

I have a couple of questions for which I searched the forum and cannot find answers.

Where should the ID number for the engine be? I want to confirm what it is.

Currently the car has 14" spoke wheels (low rider look). I want to put 15" plain steel wheels on it. Anyone know the backspacing and offset I should be looking for? I am going to upgrade the front brakes to disc using the Scarebird kit.

This is also a non AC car. I want to add a Vintage Air, but I need help regarding a bracket for the AC compressor.

Thanks

Chuck
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Welcome to CO and Oldsmobile!

I can help with 1 question - the engine number. Look on the left/driver side head, in the middle, just above the exhaust manifold. You will find it there.

Where are you in WI? Me and my 62 Dynamic 88 are in Milw. You?
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:57 AM

From Menomonee Falls/engine #

Hello. I am in Menomonee Falls.
I found that number. I thought it was the head number/different from the engine number. I couldn't find anything that would decode it however.
M 609040 L is the number. The pad on the passenger side same location is blank/smooth. I guess that would be expected if this was the engine number and not unique to the heads.
Thanks,
Chuck
Old November 28th, 2014, 10:03 AM

engine number

Funny, I searched and searched the other day and found nothing. Today I find that the L in my engine number indicates it is the low compression 394. I still don't know what the prefix M however means.