The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just saying "hello"

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Just saying "hello"

Hi guys/girls.

I'm not a newbie to Oldsmobile, but I am a newbie to this board. I have a 455 that I plan on building as a hot street motor, light strip action so I'll be asking questions about it. I don't have a car to put it in yet, but I'm not wanting one until I finish the motor. I'd like to find a 70-72 Cutlass S or an 83-84 H/O Cutlass to drop the motor into once its finished. I'd prefer the Cutlass S over th H/O.

Anyways, just saying hello.
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Welcome to the site! What part of the country/world are you in? There's lots of good information here that may help you with your build. When you have time start reading through the engine forum and the major build threads.

John
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I'm in the Midwest region, Kansas City, MO to be exact.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hello right back at ya, and welcome aboard!
Nothing wrong with building the engine first and then finding the car...just that most folks do it the other way around.

70-72 Cutlass S is a nice body for your engine, but if you like the G body, I'd expand the search to more than just the 83/84 HO. There are lots of good G bodies still out there, and production was higher than the 70-72 models.

Please start a thread on your engine build and be sure to include pics of what you've got so far. Everyone likes pics, but they also serve a purpose to document your engine for anyone who wants to know what you've done if you ever sell it.
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Welcome to CO. We're here to help.
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome, sounds like a plan.
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Welcome! And cool plan!
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hello right back at ya, and welcome aboard!
Nothing wrong with building the engine first and then finding the car...just that most folks do it the other way around.

70-72 Cutlass S is a nice body for your engine, but if you like the G body, I'd expand the search to more than just the 83/84 HO. There are lots of good G bodies still out there, and production was higher than the 70-72 models.

Please start a thread on your engine build and be sure to include pics of what you've got so far. Everyone likes pics, but they also serve a purpose to document your engine for anyone who wants to know what you've done if you ever sell it.
Thanks for your input. I REALLY like the cutlass s body style.

I'm really not into the G-bodies, but I had a 83 H/O that I put a 455 in about 7 years ago and had to sell it 4 years ago to keep my son in private school. Said son is now in college on a full ride football schollie so I believe it was a great return on my investment. However, it's time for daddy to have some fun again! I have sentimental ties to the 83 H/O but I always told myself if I could have do it over again, I would have started with a 84 H/O some things I had to do with the 83 that wouldn't need to be done to an 84.

I want to build the motor first because I'm not 100% settled on what body style Oldsmobile I want. My 1st choice is the Cutlass S, but I possibly could settle on the 70-72 supreme or the 83-84 H/O. I'm gonna have a 200-4r built by CK Performance to drop in with the motor as a unit once I purchase the car.

As for work on the engine, all I've done so far is purchased the donor engine. I haven't even tore it apart yet. It's still sitting on the pallet that I used to pick it up 4 months ago. I'll be sure to document and take pics once I start the rebuild which should start in a month or two. I have the cam (hydraulic roller custom grind) and carb (modified 800cfm Q-jet) already. I've had these for several years now. They're waiting to be out to good use!
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Just take your time and find the right body to perform the heart surgery on. Good luck with your quest.
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Welcome and you are at the right place. Look forward to seeingnmorenaboutmyour project as it develops. There is a lot of good info at this site and a lot of knowledge passes through these threads! I am a newbie as well and have learned a lot from these guys