The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 Delta 88 convertible: Howdy from Houston,TX

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM

1967 Delta 88 convertible: Howdy from Houston,TX

Hello hello.

A half week ago I finally got my first project car, an 1967 Delta convertible with an 455 engine. I'm actually from Germany and will stay in Houston for three years. Since the USA is the heaven for classic car enthusiast, I decided to get myself a nice American muscle car, and here we go; now I own an Oldsmobile.
The car was sold in my neighbourhood and everything was pretty much perfect: It’s a big car, has an even bigger motor in it and it is an convertible. The car is driveable but not streetable, it needs new floor pans, new interior and the engine needs to be rebuilt. But the price was ok and I wanted to have a project car, so I’m excited

The only problem I have is parts availability. After extensive research in the internet I finally found usapartssupply.com, the first catalogue for the Olds. But they don’t have everything, ea. floor pans. So now I’m a little scared that this project could become an impossible challenge .

I hope you can share your experiences.
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM

And here a pic of the beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.JPG (59.9 KB, 31 views)
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Nice car. I have one just like it. Here's a photo of it before I started a repaint job, which I haven't yet finished.

Even though it doesn't look so bad in this photo, the paint was faded, so I decided to repaint it, and I'm making it red. I've got another thread going about that, and I'll post photos there when it's done.

As far as getting parts for your car, body and trim parts for the full-size Oldsmobiles are not reproduced. If you need floor pans, they will either have to be removed from another '67 Olds or fabricated from scratch. Engine, drivetrain, and brake parts should not be much of a problem. Besides USA Parts Supply, other good sources are Fusick Oldsmobile (www.fusick.com), rockauto.com, and your local parts store (Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly, etc.). Rubber parts, such as weatherstripping, can be gotten from a number of places, such as Fusick, Metro Molded Parts, Steele Rubber Products, Rubber the Right Way, and others.

About your car's engine, are you sure it's a 455? If it is, then it's not the original engine. The standard engine in this was the 425, which was the largest engine Olds offered that year.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I'm sure with the 455, looks like the engine has been changed.

When I was looking for floor pans I have seen some pics from Cadillac Deville and Impala. I know they are using the same GM b-body. The front/rear seats, door panels and handles are looking almost identical. I compared pictures from a Impala floor pan to mine and it looks very similar. I really think they would fit, at least almost. If this would fit, I guess I could install Impala seats as well. Any experience with interchange parts?
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM

I've not tried nor looked in to interchanging parts with other GM makes, but that might work for something like a floor pan. Others on here will likely know.
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Welcome to the site! Yes, these old land yachts were really nice drivers out on the open highway. I hope jaunty75 and others with these cars can help you out.

John