The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello all! Question. 350 Turbo to 400 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Hello all! Question. 350 Turbo to 400 Turbo

I just purchased a OG code Turbo 400 for my 455 conversion. My 1970 Cutlass originally came with 350 engine and TH350 tranny. The 400 Turbo I bought did not include the torque converter. I'm dumber than a rock when it comes to transmissions, stall speed and all of that stuff. Can I use my 350 TH converter in this TH400 and would I loose any benefits of performance? Any insight would be appreciated! Rick
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Yes, the converter will work on either trans. The stall speed is a different issue. It is usually based on cam size, gear ratio, and what your trying to accomplish with your setup.

If your T350 grenaded and you contaminated the fluid I would not use that torque conv on the new trans without first getting it cleaned up.

This will sound worse than it actually is:

Also, you will need to move the transmission cross member back approx 6", so your drive shaft will not work with the T400 as well as the yoke. The relocation of the cross member will result in a mod to your e-brake cable. You will need a kick down switch and harness as the passing gear works off a switch versus the T350 cables.

Last edited by oldcutlass; February 26th, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks! I bought a new yoke. Someone earlier mentioned I could modify(shorten the cable hangers so the E brake cables dont droop. I noticed the frame has extra holes behind the crossmember, so I guess I must move the crossmember back to these holes? I will have my drivshaft shortened and re-balanced. I need to find out to what the driveshaft length is on a 442 car. Did I cover everything?
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matviar
Thanks! I bought a new yoke. Someone earlier mentioned I could modify(shorten the cable hangers so the E brake cables dont droop. I noticed the frame has extra holes behind the crossmember, so I guess I must move the crossmember back to these holes? I will have my drivshaft shortened and re-balanced. I need to find out to what the driveshaft length is on a 442 car. Did I cover everything?
The best (and easiest) way to deal with the cables is to simply buy the front and intermediate e-brake cables for a TH400-equipped car. Be sure to get the intermediate cable for your wheelbase (112" for the 2DR cars). The factory used different parts for a reason.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by matviar
Someone earlier mentioned I could modify(shorten the cable hangers so the E brake cables dont droop. I noticed the frame has extra holes behind the cross member, so I guess I must move the cross member back to these holes? I will have my drivshaft shortened and re-balanced. I need to find out to what the drive shaft length is on a 442 car. Did I cover everything?
That was me on the e-brake. I just fab'd a shorter hook to replace the one on the cross member. Move the cross member towards the rear of the car and it will bolt up to existing holes.

I had a new drive shaft made as it was the same price as modifying the old one. My 45 year old drive shaft was the 2 piece with a rubber sleeve. I felt that it would not be strong enough to handle my power train.

It's a fairly easy swap. I used a 2400 - 2600 stall for my converter with a big block.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/th350-th40...ing-plate.html
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM

You'll also need a kick-down switch for a T-400, unless you like 'pulling' gears!
And the appropriate hook-ups.