The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Dealer Fraud?

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Dealer Fraud?

It's me,again, Uncle Carl. I have one appraisal from a reliable source listing the price in Oct. 2007 for the 1998 Olds 88LS w/ 73,500 miles as $4650. The car was sold for $6500. Something stinks. I need to go after this So&So legally, but need several appraisals. How can I get a NADA and/or KBB for that period? Thanks in advance for all you do. Uncle C.
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Are you going to sue the dealer because you wanted to buy the car? I don't understand.

The 1998 Olds LSS was an awsome car if it had the supercharged 3.8L. I don't know if I would pay $4650 let alone $6500 for one though. It would have to be pristine. Then again, I don't like buying an older vehicle from a dealership. They always hike up the price astronomically.
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Past Administrator

You may have difficulty proving the value of the car. Any car value is based on perception and an agreed upon price between the seller and the buyer. Even if the appraised value and even the going market value was different. I don't disagree that the price sounds high but what can you do legally? People pay too much for cars all the time, that is the plain and simple truth. Good luck though....

For others like Olds64 that are confused. His mother purchased the car in 2007 for that price and he thinks it was an unfair, she is no longer with us and the family has the car.
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM

My mistake

Originally Posted by Olds64
Are you going to sue the dealer because you wanted to buy the car? I don't understand.

The 1998 Olds LSS was an awsome car if it had the supercharged 3.8L. I don't know if I would pay $4650 let alone $6500 for one though. It would have to be pristine. Then again, I don't like buying an older vehicle from a dealership. They always hike up the price astronomically.
Sorry for the confusion. I had posted earlier that this salesman sold my 89-year old mother, living on such a small pension that she had a reverse mortgage on her house, this 1998 olds for $6500. This was three days after she totaled her car and we had convinced her not to drive anymore. This So&So calls her up and delivers the car unbeknownst to any of her children. This was in Sept. 2007. Hence, the reason I'm researching it's value then. Thanks for listening. Uncle C.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I hate people that sell like that. I have a grandmother around the same age. She had to move in with my mother so wouldn't make any bad decisions that would cost her. Sells people that look for people that they believe would be an easy sell. Well they make me mad. I am very sorry to here about your loss. I wish I could help you. I understand completely. Talking to a lawyer to see if you can do anything would be the first step. I have a feeling your stuck with car I hope not.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM

When I read your first thread and replied, I questioned the $6500 purchase price (even in 2007) but thought that I was confused. It sounds like your poor Mom was taken by an unscrupulous car dealer. It's no wonder they delivered the car with the profit they must have made
Good luck pursuing this but being two years in the past with "buyer beware", I don't think it's worth your time, $$, or effort to pursue it. Piece of mind may be writing to the BBB and publishing an editorial
This is a good example of why many people (ME) don't like car dealers.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM

I agree....

you may not get anything regarding the value of the car, I wouldn't even approach it that way use it as the example, of taking advantage of an older person, state of mind after the accident etc sue them for damages, the anguish caused to the family, the undue financial burden placed upon a woman with fixed income, if the car was on payment terms, go into how her loan was approved etc etc etc ..

then sue for Damages, mental anguish, suffering, financial hardship etc etc etc knowing how much bottom feeders charge by the hour they will probably settle out of court, quickly.... just a thought
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM

a super quick search found

a lot of hits, not sure which state your in but here is good reading

http://ww2.wisconsin.gov/san/agency/...r/eldfr252.pdf

don't let these slimeballs off the hook, usually a letter from an attorney will be sufficient to get these guys in the right frame of mind, that and bad publicity etc etc will work wonders.

I also forgot to offer condolences for your loss, i lost my mom last year and there is a huge hole where her sunshine use to be.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Did your mother end up paying off the car before she passed away? Sorry for your loss.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Registered

I lost my mom a few years ago, but my mother-in law is around.
She's 90 and you have to watch her every minute for stuff like that, my wife has a joint bank account with her and she can't buy anything or withdraw cash without her.
She lives alone in her house and it's an everyday job for my wife to take care of her whims and needs, almost had the boiler overhauled last week, it's brand new.
She was a WAC in WWII and remembers every name and war story from back then and up to now.
I know all of them too I've heard them so much.

She has a car but hasn't driven in years, she'll never sell it.
It's the letting go of something they've always had or done that is hard and keeping the car makes her happy just knowing it's there, I disconnected the battery a long time ago.

I'm not sure if that price is that bad for a car dealer? The price guide may have not taken condition into account.
The car was effectively ten years old being a '98 and only had 7,350 miles a year put on it, may have gone for a premium price and there was no haggling to lower it, if you don't try they won't force you to pay less.
My buddy is a used car dealer and has his own lot and he picks up people and delivers cars all the time, just good business.

I just sold my Van for $14,500 and it bluebooked at $10,500 putting all the info in and others sold for even less online.
It was clean and had low mileage.
The guy knew it was nice and you don't find them that nice everyday, thanked me for selling it to him several times.
In a few years it may look like he paid too much to a third party, we're both happy right now.

Last edited by Bluevista; December 10th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM

I have a 89 olds 88 Royale Brougham, 3800 V6 auto, 2 door. Mint with 10,000 miles. No rust,original paint,tires,no accidents. Just had attempted breakin with enough damage ($1700) that the insurance co. says will write off the car.65% of the value will do it here. Can't find any comparables in recent sales to help my case but I figure it must still be worth $4-5000 which makes it still saveable. Market value is whatever happens to make a deal work if a car is attractive enough.Saving it is one thing and then finding the parts from a 2 door is still another challenge to come. Plenty of sedans. Oh well, one step at a time.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Geeez,
I am so tired of people bashing car salesman or dealerships!! I'm assuming that this car is in good condition, safe, reliable, and I bet it even looks nice!! I bet your Mom was proud of that car and the fact that she did it all by herself. She was going to buy a car, get over it!!

What does it cost a dealership to place a car like that on the lot after it goes through the service dept? They change the oil, new brakes, tires, provide the second remote and key?? I think she got a bargain at under $7000.00!! Car dealerships place these cars on lots with good intentions to provide a safe and serviceable vehicle at lower costs.

So whats a car like this worth? Basically what a buyer is willing to cut a check for and what a seller is willing to accept!!

Hmmmm, maybe I should sue the lady I bought my 1967 Cutlass for my son and gave $5000.00 and turned around and spent an additional $5000.00 (to date). My intention was to spend no more than $10000!!

I also find it interesting after 2 years the appraised value is $4600.00 not bad!! Try that with a newer car. I bet you might find someone that will purchase that vehicle from you when you get done whining!! Get over it and move on!!

Sorry for being so blunt!!

Last edited by oldcutlass; December 11th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Oldcutlass, have you ever seen the movie Used Cars with Kurt Russle? It is an AWSOME movie! That movie is why people don't trust used car salesman.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

That movie was entertaining, but the most awesome movie of the era was Suckers (not meant for small children)!!!

Yes, there are dealerships like that, get a reference, ask friends for recommendations, there are good dealerships to do business at!! I'm 51, I have only been in this industry for 8 years, here for 6 years, and its the most old fashioned place I've seen in 25.

I've found that its the customer often, that makes the whole process rough, because of unreasonable expectations, and other issues. Car buying actually should be fun. Answer the salesperson's questions, they really are there to help. I also found price is not the factor, the car sells itself, you are buying the salesperson and the dealership. You want a place where when you go back for service or perhaps to purchase another vehicle, 1) the salesman is actually still there to help with the process, and 2) the dealership stands behind what it sells!

Last edited by oldcutlass; December 11th, 2009 at 04:45 PM.