The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Ground Up Start

Old February 13th, 2017, 07:09 AM

Ground Up Start

Hello from Texas. As unconventional as it may be I've begun my Olds venture by acquiring a running '73 455 with TH400 but no wheels under it. Of course its a Fa block and J heads. The motor was freshened and put back on the road only to be pulled for another option. It sat for just a few weeks and almost all accessory brackets went missing. So, here my journey begins!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the tech information and can't wait to learn more, find parts, find faster parts, and look back at the journey. Now, what to put this monster in.....

James
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site from Mayberry. What part of Texas? There are many blank canvasses out there, good luck in your quest.
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:32 PM

Thank you oldcutlass. I'm on the east side of Dallas in Forney. I see you are from Grandbury or is there really a Mayberry, TX? I've traveled most of north Texas through East and down past Houston and while there are many "Mayberry" type towns never found one by that name. If you know any local DFW places to find engine and accessory brackets please let me know. I found a guy in Kennedale with tons of 403 stuff but I understand that won't work unless modified. The engine will most likely begin powering a '59 IH pickup we have before moving on to brand dress so the accessory set up doesn't matter right now. The IH has a ton of room in it.
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Administrator

The Mayberry reference is tongue in cheek. Craigslist is probably a good source and you already posted a request in our classifieds. You might update your parts wanted thread as to your intentions and one of the local guys will step up.
Old February 14th, 2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by crafttx
The engine will most likely begin powering a '59 IH pickup we have before moving on to brand dress so the accessory set up doesn't matter right now. The IH has a ton of room in it.
Welcome James. Post some pics of the engine and your pick up when you get a chance. You mention you want to eventually "move on to brand dress." Do you mean you eventually want to install an IH engine in your pickup? If you install the 455 you will become addicted to the torque.
Old February 14th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Olds64. thank you. By brand dress I mean placing the 455 in its rightful dress; an Oldsmobile. I was planning the typical Chevy SB for the truck and ran across this 455 for a great price and in good condition other than missing a few brackets. After a quick search, I ran into the torque talk and memories of my old Cummins came to mind so I had to pull the trigger. My International will truly be that with the IH body, Ford rear, Olds engine, GM tranny, Jaguar IFS, and maybe a few other items from around the globe. Although, craigslist had me up last night looking for something Olds to rest the 455 in. It would most likely be 30's-40's but that's alot of cutting to fit. Here are pics of my truck and the engine. Last night I received a few missing parts so now I have the WP pulley, fan and clutch, other exhaust manifold, and correct alternator. I just need a couple brackets for the PS pump an alternator. Not sure the tube that goes between the manifolds will work so maybe searching headers.

Old February 14th, 2017, 08:23 AM

That's a cool truck!

I'm sure once you find an Olds you will be cruising in style with that engine.