The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

FNG with a '78 Omega

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Citypol86

FNG with a '78 Omega

Just entering the Forum because 1) I'm hoping to find a new nose for my Omega, and 2) I never knew about it before!
My daughter's lesser half backed into the right front, busting up the nose which goes from one side to the other. Also, the headlight bezel is fubar'ed and the bumper's bent. Any ideas where I can get these parts?
Thanks, guys, and I think the forum is great!
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice car. Post a parts wanted list in the classified section. GL
Old January 20th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Nice looking car - or at least it was. The part you're looking for is called a header panel, and unfortunately good used is your only source for a replacement, unless you get really lucky and find an unused original for sale. Good luck.
Old January 20th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Citypol86

fiberglass?

Question, is the header panel made of fiberglass or can it be fixed with fiberglass?
Old January 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by citypol86
Question, is the header panel made of fiberglass or can it be fixed with fiberglass?
Yes.
Old January 20th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group form an up stater... You might want to try and repair your header, a good fiberglass bodyman may be able to save it... The bumper most likely can be straightened and rechromed depending on the extent of damage...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; January 21st, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:46 AM
OldsMoStyle

Found a header panel in PA that's listed as "like new" here for 175 bucks.
http://heidelbergautomotive.com/

Says they'll ship too if you don't want to road trip. I'm sure that'll be extra though....possibly a bunch extra.

Dig the car. I've always had a soft spot for disco X bodies. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Mostizzle; January 21st, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:57 PM
Forward into the Past

That car brings back some fond memories. I had a light blue '77 Skylark like it when I was in college. Hate it got bumped. The front bumper looks like it was the same as the Buick and thus may be a direct bolt-up. A nova bumper might bolt up as well but I seem to recall they had less rubber on it than the Omega and Skylark did. Grilles and taillights were just about the only differences in all those cars.
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Human
That car brings back some fond memories. I had a light blue '77 Skylark like it when I was in college. Hate it got bumped. The front bumper looks like it was the same as the Buick and thus may be a direct bolt-up. A nova bumper might bolt up as well but I seem to recall they had less rubber on it than the Omega and Skylark did. Grilles and taillights were just about the only differences in all those cars.
Yeah, GM wasn't trying very hard by then. There are more differences between the Omega and Nova than you think, however. Hood, grille, header panel, headlight surrounds, bumper are all different. Can't tell from these photos if the fenders are the same or not.

Old January 21st, 2017, 03:10 PM
OldsMoStyle

The front bumpers are the same on the Skylark, Phoenix, and the Omega.

If you search here...
http://car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

You'll find a few in the area.
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mostizzle
The front bumpers are the same on the Skylark, Phoenix, and the Omega.

If you search here...
http://car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

You'll find a few in the area.
Yes, but that's apparently the only part of the front end that's the same. Headers and hoods are different. Still not sure on the fenders, though I suspect they do swap.
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:23 PM
Forward into the Past

The fenders should swap between a Nova and an Omega but not the Skylark or the Phoenix. They both had parking / turn signal lamps incorporated into the header panels and thus no cutouts for the turn signal lights like the Omega and Nova had. Also, the Skylark had cutouts for Buick's signature fake exhaust ports. Looking at pictures on Google, most of the Skylarks also appear to have beefy looking chrome bumper guards while the Omegas have the rubber blocks. Some Skylarks also the rubber blocks so it could either have been a trim package thing or else I'm seeing pictures of a few Skylarks with Omega bumpers.

Last edited by Human; January 21st, 2017 at 09:18 PM.