The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Stuck distributor

Old January 1st, 2017, 11:51 AM

Stuck distributor

1953-98 303 rocket. Can not get the dist. to turn, engine in car
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:35 PM
Administrator

This is a common problem. Remove the hold down bolt and clamp, spray liberally with penetrating oil. Then start working it loose. Sometimes a thin piece of wood and small hammer tapping upwards will get it out, or an oil filter wrench on top of the housing twisting from side to side. As it loosens keep adding penetrant.

When you finally get it removed replace the oring and clean the mating surfaces.
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:43 PM

If the engine runs, warm it before applying the penetrant. As it cools it will wick in the penetrant. The culprit can also be sludge instead of corrosion so the answer may be spray carb cleaner. Patience is the key to not breaking the housing.

Remember you can compensate somewhat on timing adjustment if needed through dwell adjustment; but, not dwell compensation through timing.
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Most often it's just a case of brute force to pop it out. Leverage with a long 2x3 will probably work best.

Either that or you have to kill the little gremlin inside that's holding onto it for all he's worth.
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tropicalbill
1953-98 303 rocket. Can not get the dist. to turn, engine in car
I, like everyone else, will assume that you mean the housing and not the shaft. The advice you have is good. However, I once had one that was so stuck it would not budge with those measures. I ended up "pressing it out using bolts and coupling sleeves. Whatever you use, be sure the force is uniform around the distributor. Unbalanced forces can cause broken castings. After you get it out do through cleaning without dropping crud in the engine and use some anti-seize on the return trip.