The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

65 Delta 88 Gas tank clean or buy new

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM

65 Delta 88 Gas tank clean or buy new

So I finally got around to pulling the tank to see what I was dealing with.
The car was in storage since at least 1992. With a full tank of fuel of course.

So after getting it up on the lift, pulling the supply and return lines and pumping out 20+ gallons of the worst smelling fuel I have ever dealt with, I dropped it and pulled the pickup sender. It probably has a good 1/4 inch of crud on it, and I am guessing since my fuel gauge still says full even though it's not connected to the tank I get to work on that too.

So my question is should I take the tank to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and cleaned?

I've read around and watched some videos on everything from pouring vinegar in the tank for a week to paying for eastwoods tank resto kit.

I haven't found a new 65 olds tank yet but I can easily get a new 65 impala tank for a little over 100$, which is about cleaning and using the eastwood kit would cost. The main difference I see with a 65 impala tank is the return/vent line isn't in the sender, it's off to the passenger side on the tank itself. Also not sure about the fill neck.

As for the sender, I read about using washing soap, a large nail and a battery charger to clean it, and the results looked pretty good.

Has anyone tried this?

So does it make sense to get down and dirty and work with what I have or try to make an impala tank work?
How about the steel fuel lines? I do plan on replacing all the rubber lines.

Down the road the plan is to add fuel injection btw.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 04:25 PM

Where are you located ?
Old September 12th, 2016, 12:42 PM

North Denver, CO
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:31 AM

Anyone have any ideas?
I am planning on working on the brakes so it stops, next is getting it to run on it's own fuel system instead of a jerry can in the engine bay.

I found a radiator shop close to me but they want 175$ to boil the gas tank. Seems like a lot since the radiator only cost me 75 and that guy pressure tested and painted it. Problem is that shop is a good drive. Might be worth it though.
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vernonm3
Anyone have any ideas?
I am planning on working on the brakes so it stops, next is getting it to run on it's own fuel system instead of a jerry can in the engine bay.

I found a radiator shop close to me but they want 175$ to boil the gas tank. Seems like a lot since the radiator only cost me 75 and that guy pressure tested and painted it. Problem is that shop is a good drive. Might be worth it though.
Having the tank boiled out is by far the best solution, however if the problem is just crud and not rust, I've had good success with this product from KBS Coatings:

They also make a sealer kit if there are pinholes.

Old January 11th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Administrator

I answered this question on your other post. Take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it.
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:15 AM

I have never used the product that Joe mentioned; however, I did use something similar:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-49239/overview/

I got good results. I also got some industrial paint from the hardware store and painted the outside of the tank.

If you decide to use one of the DIY kits please make sure you wear a proper respirator, and wear eye and hand protection. The chemicals are about as nasty as they come. Since you're in CO you should be fine but if you were in CA they would send you to jail forever for even owning something like that.
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you decide to use one of the DIY kits please make sure you wear a proper respirator, and wear eye and hand protection. The chemicals are about as nasty as they come.
Proper protective gear is always good advice, however the cleaner I showed above is water-based.
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
...the cleaner I showed above is water-based.
That might be the kit to go with then. I think the Marine Clean you get with the POR-15 kit is a very strong base. I remember the label on the bottle had a few warnings!