Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Very nice work on this car, i think you have used many hours allready
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Registered Luser

Thank you Sir! I most certainly do!
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Registered Luser

It's been a light last couple of weeks....while waiting to resolve the gas tank issue, we don't want to drop the body back on the chassis yet....so we started working on the driveshaft and steering column conversion. Installed new u-joints and now, several hours to clean up the driveshaft....we will matt clear when done. Was super rusty....also, being that I brought a bunch of tools home, and still haven't returned them back to the shop, I had to make my own steering wheel puller.....

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
Registered Luser

Gas Tank Repair 101....

OK....we got another gas tank! Thanks again to Eric Jensen(jensenracing77) for the free gas tank! This gentleman gave me this tank for the price of shipping! Good person and as usual, I would buy anything from him!

Now....when we left off with the original tank, I did a bunch of work to it, only to find it had several pinholes! Since it wasn't a virgin tank as it had been repaired several times before and sealed, welding was out of the question! It had so many dents anyway....
This tank had also been patched by an amatuer at one time in its life! Surrounded by a massive dent, I decided "MAW" make this thing as nice as the rest of the car....so, I cut her open and hammered and dollied all the dents out...also, put it in the media blaster for a couple hour basting! now, easy access....

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Registered Luser

Here is a pic of what was some kind of leak repair that was doing absolutely nothing!

Much easier now...

Cleaned up very nicely!

Now to clean up the inside, and weld everything back up!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

So the tank you got from Eric was a donor tank?

Ted
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:54 PM

Hey ent72olds i thought u had your gas tank sent off and resealed with a life time nation wide warrenty
ray
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by sammy
So the tank you got from Eric was a donor tank?

Ted
Yes Ted....ironically, came out of the same car I got the qtrs from...so the qtrs and tank will be reunited!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by NDERISE
Hey ent72olds i thought u had your gas tank sent off and resealed with a life time nation wide warrenty
ray
Ray, that was the plan, but, to send the tank there and back was gonna cost me my left nut...also, the shop said that since it had already been resealed in the past, it couldn't be done again! Go figure...

Funny thing is, when I was a teenager, I never wanted to work on cars. I went to college to become an architect! I got so tired of being bulls%$tted by mechanics with my cars and them never being right, that I taught myself how to fix them myself. So, when they said it couldn't be fixed.....so this tank will be better than any job they could do!

Last edited by ent72olds; March 23rd, 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ent72olds
ray, that was the plan, but, to send the tank there and back was gonna cost me my left nut...also, the shop said that since it had already been resealed in the past, it couldn't be done again! Go figure...

Funny thing is, when i was a teenager, i never wanted to work on cars. I went to college to become an architect! I got so tired of being bulls%$tted by mechanics with my cars and them never being right, that i taught myself how to fix them myself. So, when they said it couldn't be fixed.....so this tank will be better than any job they could do!
i know what u mean every time i hire someone i have end up finishing the job, some people don,t care about quality work they just what to get in and out and get the money, glad to see the tank is repairable from the inside
ray
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Registered Luser

Yea Ray, I only wanted to send it out in the interest of saving me some time. Actually pay someone to do something. But, when the "I don't know how good it will come out, we won't be able to warranty it" lines come out...that's when I say, "you know what, I'll do it myself".....this ain't rocket science here!
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice work on the repair Erik. That should give you another couple pints of capacity for cruising. Looking forward to the finished tank.

Like the driveshaft. Did mine last year but went with cast color instead of clear satin. Just like the look. And I kept my original U-joints because they were still in perfect condition. You putting stripes back on the driveshaft?
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Registered Luser

That's very funny, "should give you a couple more pints of capacity for cruising"......

As far as the driveshaft, it isn't completely done yet, as we have to go through the stages of different grits to make it look nice! The satin clear idea came from something I read from you I believe in another thread! Thanks! I do want to redo the stripes. I think it tells in the CSM where and what colors, correct? I think I remember seeing that....
Old March 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Erik, the info is in section 4 page 100 of the 1970 Assembly Manual. The stripes are different colors depending on what tranny is in the car.
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Registered Luser

Found it! Thanks Allan...
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Wow you can even weld gas tanks!! Seriously I thought that you couldn't ever do any welding or grinding,etc work on old gas tanks because you could never get the fumes out and a spark...KABOOOM!! How do you do it? I heard of old shops putting car exhaust from the tailpipe thru a tube into gas tanks to remove the oxygen??? Great work Erik...
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Registered Luser

Well....I haven't started to weld it yet....
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM

I think what I remembered guys talking about back in the day were motorcycle gas tanks. The story(or rumor) was some guy got burned. But it maybe just a story. You must have made some sparks when you cut it apart didn't you? So maybe no problem. You said your insurance is all paid up, didn't you??
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:51 AM

Erik, it is great to see the progress you have made on the car and all the detail going going into it, sticking to the course of doing things right with no short cuts just to get it on the road ASAP. It will be so nice to see yet another one of these sky wagons back on the road in due time!
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Registered Luser

Back on the Tank!

Continued working on the gas tank today. Welded up a couple of air chisel gouges, and decided to flange it. Spot welded the patch in place. Just need to finish welding and grind it up!

Old April 13th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Registered Luser

Work on Driveshaft...

My brother continued working on the driveshaft....this thing is coming real nice! The yokes will be painted cast gray, the shaft will be matte cleared then we will re-apply the single black stripe!

Old April 13th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks nice Erik!
When you finish welding the tank you should let your brother have a go at making it all shiny like the drive shaft. Shiny cars go faster
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Govt slave

That thing is gonna be sick !!
Lookin good buddy
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Registered Luser

Whatever we do, we will make it nice Allan!
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by squirell
That thing is gonna be sick !!
Lookin good buddy
Matt, is the cutlass up and running with the 455 yet? If so, you need to post up a quick video!
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM

Looking good Erik. Keep it up.

I don't know where I should reply to your posts though. Figured this is current, but I might bounce back and forth
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by car_designer
Looking good Erik. Keep it up.

I don't know where I should reply to your posts though. Figured this is current, but I might bounce back and forth
LOL...yeah, here is a couple years more current! You could fall behind on the other site....it will eventually catch up! Thanks again for checking in designer!
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Great job.. as usual..I sure admire your abilities. Are you going to weld the tank up tight or use a sealer?
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Registered Luser

Greg, thanks for the comps! I will weld it up tight, grind it down and do bodywork to the outside. I will seal the inside with the Eastwood stuff....
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
L69

Eric,
I truly enjoyed reading through your post. Lots of great first hand body and sheetmetal experience and I appreciate you sharing this info. Great job.

Sal
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by L69
Eric,
I truly enjoyed reading through your post. Lots of great first hand body and sheetmetal experience and I appreciate you sharing this info. Great job.

Sal
Thanks Sal.....no more cars?
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:01 PM
Registered Luser

Tank Tanked.....

Well, where I last left off, I was welding the gas tank! I'm not likin' it! I will be having a friend of mine make a tank.....so, in the meantime, I had Ben Meissner from Street Rod Designs (SRD Art), who I met on another forum, make me up a rendering. We tried a few different colors, but decided we like this.....this car has been slowly revolving from stock resto, to a mild Pro Touring car....

...feel free to ctitique, as I am open to all input.....we still have a long way to go....
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

The color is ok, not sure if I'm sold on it. I like the restomod look, that is hot!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:20 AM

I love the idea of going "Pro touring" with the VC, but I'm with Darrell, not sure I love the color, but I do really like the lower wood grain.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Man, I love the 70 Vista!
To think we use to use them as derby cars

Eric, I also like the restored look...these wagons can handle it!
Also, am not too sure I like the color....but I will look at the pic tomorrow and see if it has grown on me
Maybe a OAI setup....the hood might look cool.I liked it on Scott's (0ldspackrat)when I was down visiting him.
Maybe lose the tint or some of it?There is a lot of window to darken.

Ted
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Govt slave

Originally Posted by LI Olds
I love the idea of going "Pro touring" with the VC, but I'm with Darrell, not sure I love the color, but I do really like the lower wood grain.
I concur...
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:48 PM

It is a great drawing-or rendering-I love it, and very well done. It looks basically stock except for the 442 grills and the side marker lights.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Kjr442

Back in 2002 my daughter bought a new WS6 Trans Am I think the color name was burnt orange I think that would look cool, are you ready to paint??
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Registered Luser

Bodywork is done , but not ready to paint yet. The motor and trans needs to be finished and installed in the chassis before I drop the body back on it. Haven't worked on her in a very long time!
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Erik, looking back thru this thread again. I found another Vista in a yard and I am going to purchase the Vista windows out of it. They are delaminated some but I want them for spares. I think you didn't remove those windows in your Vista, correct? Do you know the best way to get them out? Thanks, Greg.

Quick Reply: '70 Vista Cruiser Project