Belgian 1974 Delta 88 Royale convertible

Old September 16th, 2015, 01:35 PM

Belgian 1974 Delta 88 Royale convertible

Hi all, I introduced myself last year when I bought my '74 Delta and last saturday I started the (part) restauration.

I started with removing the top, it was full of holes (big ones) and didn't open anymore.. It quickly was clear the switch was at fault and this was fixed. I then removed the hardened vinyl and lowered the frame.

20150911_192043_zps7cbyt3g8.jpg

Then I removed the interior, there was half a garbagebag of junk that came out! and a pile of peepshow lighters

20150912_171703_zpsmqifinzm.jpg
20150912_133013_zps2ynczqcd.jpg

I then removed everything from the backside, the bottom of the boot was almost completely gone!!
This is how she sits at the moment waiting for my next visit

20150912_171747_zpsbpi0lnea.jpg

This doesn't look right!! Has anyone got a picture of the Original bracket that holds the topmotor, so I can fabricate something! Or beter yet has anyone got a '74 Delta 88 convertible that I can buy parts from!!??

20150916_200703_zpstl6iivuo.jpg

That's it for now, I started this topic because I know there'll be questions regarding the car that I can't answer.. For now everything went very well though..knock on wood!
Old September 16th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by KetsMcLets
Has anyone got a picture of the Original bracket that holds the topmotor, so I can fabricate something!

The bracket is attached to the car bulkhead with the same rubber bumpers that are used for the A-body convertible top pump, but there is no harm in using nuts, bolts, and spacers, either - it just doesn't isolate the sound of the motor as well.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN8942.JPG (390.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN8944.JPG (390.9 KB, 218 views)
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM

Ok thanks for that picture, it's quite helpful! Now I can fabricate a bracket and now I know where all the relays are originaly..

Yesterday I got on with the teardown and it's pretty much finished now and will be off to the welder next week!
Some pictures:

found plenty of rust on the inside too

20150918_163926_zps9ckjopg7.jpg
20150918_163919_zps4jhjavno.jpg

The boot was really incredible..layer after layer of bodge reparations by the previous owner. This is getting quite a pattern on this car.

20150918_193749_zpsrdg4z5xo.jpg

This is how she now sits, waiting for me to bring her to a qualified welder in the Netherlands. He called it "a challenge"
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by KetsMcLets
Now I can fabricate a bracket and now I know where all the relays are originaly..
My relays aren't original - I set them up to replace the poorly designed original.

- Eric
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:48 AM

I have a problem though.. I wanted to drive her outside but she wouldn't start! She allways started very good but now suddenly nothing. I thought maybe I pulled some wires per accident or something but I have ignition on every cilinder and gasoline pumping at the carburettor!
The problem seems to be in the carburettor itself? When I pour a little bit of gasoline directly into the carb it comes alive but dies as soon as the gasoline is gone..the same with a spraycan of starthelper (don't know the english name)
The choke is electric and I've manually altered the position but this seems to have no effect..

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

A huge challenge. Getting parts or shipping to the Netherlands is also hugely expensive. Is the rust out something that might be better repaired with donor parts/sheet metal from a parts car in the dry west US?
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck. Try tapping on the float bowl and see if that un sticks it. Sounds like it needs an overhaul.
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
My relays aren't original - I set them up to replace the poorly designed original.

- Eric
Okay thanks! Mine aren't either I'd think, the design looks much newer than the other relays on the car
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
A huge challenge. Getting parts or shipping to the Netherlands is also hugely expensive. Is the rust out something that might be better repaired with donor parts/sheet metal from a parts car in the dry west US?
Yes shipping is quite expensive and then there's the additional taxes too I have been looking for donor parts for a year now to no avail so I just got me a decent welder who can replicate them, costs a lot but so does shipping huge body panels from the USA

Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck. Try tapping on the float bowl and see if that un sticks it. Sounds like it needs an overhaul.
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow, hope this works.. It was going to get overhauled anyway but it just needed to work a few more weeks while at the welders so he can move it around if needed. But if that's not possible I will take it off and rebuild it in the meantime..
Thank you for the reply!
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:59 AM

this is the carb, it sure looks like it can use an overhaul

20150919_164841_zpsphpgn3cp.jpg
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Or maybe just get a new one. That looks like a frankencarb!
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Hah yeah I know it's bad.. I was thinking of getting a Q-jet as someone previously mentioned on here but for now the money is going to the more urgent matters like the body repairs and a new roof etc.. Although this may be urgent too
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Used Qjet and rebuild kit is not that expensive, at least here. As you say though, deal with the priorities and solve the most important ones first. The welder can put the car on wheel dolleys if he needs to move it around in his shop.
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Consider a hole in the fuel line of the gas tank, under the trunk floor, which could have been disturbed as you cleaned off the trunk floor, causing it to open up slightly.

- Eric
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wouldn't that be kind of obvious with fuel leaking or smell there?
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:25 AM

That could've been possible as there was quite some damage in the boot and i needed to clean that mess up But I have also disconnected the fuel feed on the carb into a jar and it spits more that enough gasoline for it to run so the pump is also fine..
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If it's pumping fuel it's likely the stuck float.
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:36 AM

I'll get a little hammer tomorrow (over here it's 08:30pm atm) and tap it a bit, I guess the float reservoir is right next to the fuel inlet on the left side?
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Might be 2 floats on that carb, depending on model. Tap both left and right sides
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Administrator

That open port on the drivers side of the carb needs to be plugged like the one on right.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Yes! I noticed that open port, there was actually a wee little bit of rubber on there when examinating the carb earlier on but it didn't led me to believe that it was completely blocked of before, that's how small the leftover rubber was. So maybe the rest just fell off somewhere? Could this prevent the carb from functioning properly, even so it wouldn't start??

Tnx!!

edit: I think I might see it on the picture laying right below the port??!! doh!

Last edited by KetsMcLets; September 19th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Administrator

One of those 2 ports is usually connected to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Any vacuum leak can hinder starting.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wouldn't that be kind of obvious with fuel leaking or smell there?
Usually not. Just needs to be a pinhole.

- Eric
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:25 AM

Haven't been to the garage so not had a chance to check those things but I have another question: I took a towing hook of the car and won't be needing it anymore so i'm selling it but does this now also fit other frames? Would be nice to know when advertising
Thanks
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A photo would be helpful.

Fullsize (B- and C-body) cars from 1971 to 1976 had the same rear frame section, but there were differences in their rear bumpers, so depending on where the hitch attaches, it may or may not fit Chebby Impala /Caprice, Poncho GrandVille / Catalina, and Buick Electra / LeSabre.

- Eric
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You mean there is a market for trailer hitches in Belgium? I wouldn't have thought so, especially with these land yachts. I don't think many can afford the price of fuel to run those cars. Especially at 1.45€/L!
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
A photo would be helpful.

Fullsize (B- and C-body) cars from 1971 to 1976 had the same rear frame section, but there were differences in their rear bumpers, so depending on where the hitch attaches, it may or may not fit Chebby Impala /Caprice, Poncho GrandVille / Catalina, and Buick Electra / LeSabre.

- Eric

This is the one picture I have, not in the photo but there are also 2 brackets on the outside where it attaches to the frame itself:

20150918_163647_zpsutrgxexi.jpg

You mean there is a market for trailer hitches in Belgium? I wouldn't have thought so, especially with these land yachts. I don't think many can afford the price of fuel to run those cars. Especially at 1.45€/L!

Over here all USA car/big engine cars run on LPG or LPI..consumption goes up a little but it's 3 times cheaper than gasoline.
If there's a market for I don't know but the ads are free and as long as I can store it I'll advertise it Next stop is the recycling plant..
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That looks like a European hitch - in the US, hitches do not curve as they rise up to the ball, they come straight out, and the ball is a separate part that is bolted on.

I suspect that that hitch was custom-made after the car arrived in Europe.

I would try to give it to anyone you can find with a 1971-'76 GM B- or C-body.
It looks like it attaches to the common frame members, and not to the rear bumper, so it will probably fit. If not, they can probably modify it if they need to.

- Eric
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:03 PM

Okay, thanks for the info man!!
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:44 PM

Here is someone parting out your exact same car. I believe he's a member on here if I remember right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-oldsmob...031c17&vxp=mtr
Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM

I contacted the good man..now waiting for an answer. I still need little things from a donor car like the door catches and stuff..

I blocked up the vacuum line at the carb, I have an MSD ignition kit so no vacuum line needed I guess? I also tapped the 2 float reservoirs with a little hammer and tried starting..once the chambers were filled up again it started rightaway!
Thanks guys!!
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:07 AM

On a sidenote: eventually I'm going to want to put in a decent soundsystem, doesn't have to be real loud but I want the quality to be good for when cruising! Would this fit my car and has anyone got any expercience from them? Just browsing around for later on..

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/pro...DS-31-630.html
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:48 AM

I've never used one of those radios but I'm sure they're pretty decent simply because of the modern technology.

Here is what I use in my cars along with the stock stereos https://rediscoveradio.com/

I love these because I'm a stickler for keeping the original look and feel in my cars and these things do just that and they work GREAT. I have them in both of my cars and the installation is a breeze. The sound is great as long as your stock stereo is good working order and you have a decent set of speakers.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM

That looks great too, even easier install 😁. I also want to keep the stock look but I greatly appreciate the usb and bluetooth functions too 😉. I just came to the garage to take a look and it really looks like it'll fit just fine!! Thats for later on though but it's great to know that I can route all the wiring for the amp and speakers to the original position now the carpet is gone, instead of later on having to take it apart again 😀.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:30 PM
cus

Before you get the welder/panel beater, get those rusty areas sandblasted,
do your whole floor etc, it will expose plenty of holes, but get them
plugged while you have the opportunity,

regards, Cus
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Too late..I borrowed a towtruck from work yesterday and took her to the welder in another country: the Netherlands! It's actually only 50 km's from my home

Now it's the waiting game for the Olds..on with some other projects..

20150924_182516_zpsghkwtqoo.jpg
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool! You work for an auto rescue company?
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:44 PM

I put up billboards as a job but after hours I have a car rescue watch yes..one week on and one week off. Keeps things a little bit interesting 😀 that's actually the smallest lorry we have though ☺
Old September 30th, 2015, 01:20 PM

does anyone know if my towhook will fit a '79 Pontiac Grand Prix???
Old September 30th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Administrator

If it fits the Delta, I'm sure it will fit the G Prix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belgian 1974 Delta 88 Royale convertible