Finally a 442 4 me

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by costpenn
Looking great Troy.

Did you ever get any responses about the rubber chunks in the differential case? I'm fascinated by this.
Sorry, I kinda buried a statement on that in post 73. One of those quick blurbs as you mind is tired but going 100mph.😧 Jim- Monzaz said he didn't believe he had ever seen that before. (There were three of those little chunks in there.) Didn't know quite what to make out of it. Unless it had something to do with keeping the additive stirred in, but felt the gears should do that.
Since, it was not a running car when I bought it, I couldn't tell him about any whining or whirling noises to help him diagnose what a potential reason for them to be there would be.

The rear end is the correct code and gears. I don't think the housing was ever out of the car, and he didn't think the gears had ever been out, but wouldn't know for sure until he tore it down. The backlash was a little loose, but he felt he could shim it easy enough. If I rember correctly he said backlash was around 12 and should be around 8.

I know more in a couple of weeks. I think the chunks are going to remain a mystery.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
I think the chunks are going to remain a mystery.
Much like the ones in my soup I bought for lunch today Bleccchhhhhh
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Much like the ones in my soup I bought for lunch today Bleccchhhhhh

Oh waiter.....there are chunks in my soup😀
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well, I think I have all my metal parts in and ready to go. 1/4 front floor pans came yesterday. When I called about them, they said the pans shipped separately and should go out any day, but couldn't give me a tracking code. Get home last night. There they are.🤔

I will say they are from Auto Body Specialties, and they feel heavier than the last goodmark floor pan I bought. I will need to test that as I still have some scrap pieces of the goodmark pan to measure.

Tonight, the donor dash/window channel area came home to get acquainted with the body before they both go to the body shop to be joined forever in holy weldimony.😎

A few hours of work helping a friend, and I bring home a nice piece, which I believe is the last body metal that I need to acquire.👏

Old August 5th, 2016, 12:58 PM

Holy Cowl!!

Nice score , the whole cowl!!! or kit and caboodle or whatever LOL... pretty damn awesome
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Nice score , the whole cowl!!! or kit and caboodle or whatever LOL... pretty damn awesome
Thanks, I thought it was. Good friends are hard to find.

On that note, Eddie I can see you and I would have an interesting conversation if we ever meet. Abstract word play is one of my specialties. 😀
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:43 PM

Thanks, I thought it was. Good friends are hard to find.

On that note, Eddie I can see you and I would have an interesting conversation if we ever meet. Abstract word play is one of my specialties. 😀
That would be awesome! I hope to meet a bunch of you guys guys that understand the struggle lol
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Wow, what a long day! Started out preparing the body on the rotisserie for transport, hand winched it up on the trailer, built some blocking to stabilize it during transport. You can see it here. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/general-discussion/107160-ready-transport.html

Starting getting hot and muggy, time to retire to the garage and see if I can get the front suspension off. (Mental note to self, take front suspension off before you take rear suspension off.). Now this is one of the most scariest things I have ever done. I've pulled front suspensions off before, but never like this. I was nervous to start with as this is the first time I have done it on just the frame.

Pulled out the spring compressor, losened castle nuts, wacked it a couple of times with a pickle fork, slight pop. Great its loose. Put spring compressor in, compressed spring, lower jack, a-arm doesn't lower any. Hmmmm. Put jack back in place. Losen castle nut some more, no movement, hit the lower ball joint at the a-arm with a block of wood, and four pound sledge. No movement. Now at this point I am nervous. Take lower case nut off, apply same method, best I can get is ball joint bolt 1/2 way out of spindle. Nerves shot. Standing inside the frame trying to stay away from anything that is going to violently and instantly move, and continue beating on the ball joint with sledge and a two foot board for the next hour and 1/2. Finally, a small pop, the lower a-arm moved just a tiny bit. Checked spring compressor everything still good. I could push the arm down a little with my foot, but couldn't get the ball joint out of the spindle. Spring is lose. I finally take upper arm off with the spindle. Lower arm still hanging there and can't get it to go down so the spring can come out. Losen bolts, no difference. Finally, get enough foot pressure to pull spring. The culprit, the rear lower a-arm bolt must be rusted to the sleeve Inside of the bushing. I finally got the bolt to move, but a-arm moves with it, when the a-arm can't move the bolt doesn't move. Soak it with penetrating oil, and quit for the day.
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Here are a couple of pics. Is this the correct bolt for the a-arm? The spring is 15", but it has an aluminum spacer, is that factory? And the green dot on the spindle.

Old August 7th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Just caught up on your build thread. Excellent stuff . What's the plan for the rear? Have Jim give it a once over? I bought used 3.42 gears and a posi carrier from him for my 69. Good guy. The spring spacer and odd front shock may be related. Someone may have been trying to get her to sit level.
Old August 8th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 65Delta
Just caught up on your build thread. Excellent stuff . What's the plan for the rear? Have Jim give it a once over? I bought used 3.42 gears and a posi carrier from him for my 69. Good guy. The spring spacer and odd front shock may be related. Someone may have been trying to get her to sit level.
Jim is a great guy, he is giving it the once over. He said usually doesn't replace clutches, just switches them up. All depends on how they look. Bearings, he will see one felt a little loose. So those probably be replaced.
Old August 8th, 2016, 06:53 AM

Wow, I know what you mean working on the A-Arms and Springs, its like cranking that handle on the Jack In The Box!! glad your progressing
Old August 28th, 2016, 11:18 AM

Any updates Troy? Did you get the frame blasted/cleaned?
Old August 28th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 65Delta
Any updates Troy? Did you get the frame blasted/cleaned?
No not yet, daughter back to college, work, side trip this weekend. More work this week. Hopefully soon.
Old August 28th, 2016, 06:30 PM

I'm jealous of that W25 hood. I wish mine weren't missing.
Old August 28th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Hurst/Olds 73/74
I'm jealous of that W25 hood. I wish mine weren't missing.
It needs some work, and I thought about selling it and going with a Thorton. As the car is a factory W25 car, but not the original hood to the car. However, it fit really well prior to disassembly, and well, it is an original one. So, I am keeping it. By the way, it wasn't originally yellow either.

Old August 29th, 2016, 08:43 AM
344879M363895

It needs some work, and I thought about selling it and going with a Thorton. As the car is a factory W25 car, but not the original hood to the car. However, it fit really well prior to disassembly, and well, it is an original one. So, I am keeping it. By the way, it wasn't originally yellow either.
I think that's a great idea to keep what these cars originally had, even with the work. In the end, you'll know what it has is real and that is a good feeling.
Old September 5th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Off to Jail!

Finally, after much waiting the body is at the body shop! Dropped it off this morning. 😄😀😄😀😊. Excited, but I also know it will be A LONG while, before I can be really excited. We will have to see how long the body shop jail sentence actually ends up!

On her way!

Old September 5th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Tucked into her temporary residence for a while. Her roommates are a 69 z28, 69 Camaro, 69 Superbee, early 60's Porsche convertible, and a 74 ish Datsun 240-280z

Old September 5th, 2016, 11:36 AM
344879M363895

That's some pretty good company there Troy. Some excitement should be starting soon. Hopefully they have some good visiting hours.
Old September 5th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Visiting time, is "Anytime, I have nothing to hide." His words. He is a one man shop, and only ask I call first to make sure he is there or not in paint booth.

He usually keeps 4-5 projects going at a time. One left yesterday, one is leaving this week, and all of them have had progress over the past few months since I first stopped by, and a couple of times in between.

I should also mention that he wanted a substitute frame when it came time to hang the quarters. He knew I was restoring the chassis, and felt it would be better to wait until the last thing to join the body to the restored chassis. So the better part of the evenings this week have been separating the body and frame of the Cutlass that I have. I made a second trip with the frame today, as well.

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; September 5th, 2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old September 6th, 2016, 01:15 PM

wow, moving right along, nice work
Old September 6th, 2016, 01:33 PM
344879M363895

Hey Troy, I was just thinking about those wheels we talked about in TN. Totally forgot about those for some reason. If you are interested, I can have my mother in law take some photos. Let me know.
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Hey Troy, I was just thinking about those wheels we talked about in TN. Totally forgot about those for some reason. If you are interested, I can have my mother in law take some photos. Let me know.
Yes, please. And might I add Wow, what a clean up job you have been doing.
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

wow, moving right along, nice work
Thanks Eddie, trying to catch up with you. You need to take another trip say for 6 months and I might catch you. Looked like you had a good time.

Now back to the frame, then I will be doing some of the inside heater box, tail lights, side markers etc. I have been taking notes on your rust removal. Pretty cool.
Old September 7th, 2016, 05:49 AM
344879M363895

Yes, please. And might I add Wow, what a clean up job you have been doing.
I will let you know. Could be a couple of weeks, but at least that's cooler weather. Thanks! Worked at a Ford dealer doing cleanups and lot staging when I was a kid, so I'm used to seeing MUCH worse than this car. Do you know how hard it is to remove 3 lbs of hair and gum in the carpet from a Ford Tempo?
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks Eddie, trying to catch up with you. You need to take another trip say for 6 months and I might catch you. Looked like you had a good time.

Now back to the frame, then I will be doing some of the inside heater box, tail lights, side markers etc. I have been taking notes on your rust removal. Pretty cool.
No can't take more time off LOL, finishing up the cover and will be ordering some seals etc from inline tube, need to keep moving, the rust removal works well, and is cheap as heck...
Old September 24th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well had a little time today, and "painted the pumpkin". I know it's not real, but I have always liked the look. I still need another coat on the axel tubes, and to paint the end of the axels and yoke cast, but overall I am happy with it.

Old September 24th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Other project this afternoon. Trying to straighten the frame where someone put the lift pads in the wrong spot. Here is where it started, my tools, and the results so far. Still needs some work but moving

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; September 24th, 2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old September 24th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Rear end looks sweet. That frame will need some persuading! Keep at it brother.
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Rear end looks sweet. That frame will need some persuading! Keep at it brother.
Thanks Rick, I see you are back on yours looking forward to seeing it finished!
Old September 24th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Nice work!! Rear end looks great!
Old September 24th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Hi Troy, I'm chiming in for the first time. Just got finished reading the three pages - great job so far. Our colors are the same it seems though I am keeping my white vinyl roof. I wish I could take mine to a frame off too but that will have to wait a few years, possibly a retirement project for me which I would welcome. Will be looking forward to future updates of your progress as it moves along.

Tom
Old September 25th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Nice work!! Rear end looks great!
Thanks Luke, any updates on the 68?
Old September 25th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Hi Troy, I'm chiming in for the first time. Just got finished reading the three pages - great job so far. Our colors are the same it seems though I am keeping my white vinyl roof. I wish I could take mine to a frame off too but that will have to wait a few years, possibly a retirement project for me which I would welcome. Will be looking forward to future updates of your progress as it moves along.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I have been following along on yours, I'll am anxious to see yours in color. Do you know what brand/mix your painter is using for the Twilight blue? I think the vinyl tops provide a nice color contrast, I just like the look without it.
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:50 AM

My body guy is a one man show also. I am starting to think those guys are the best ones to find. My car had the original front shocks, between us we have a full set, lol. Want to sell your original rear shocks?
Old September 25th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
My body guy is a one man show also. I am starting to think those guys are the best ones to find. My car had the original front shocks, between us we have a full set, lol. Want to sell your original rear shocks?
I believe these body shop guys are the best, but getting harder to find. He's been doing it for almost 40 years. He just finished a 69 Camaro, painted the new Camaro green. All I can say is that thing was just awsome.

On the shocks, I'm sorry another member beat you to it. Out of couriosity, how are yours stamped? Mine said Delco Products, Ohio, and some numbers. I have tried to post some pictures, but phone is not cooperating. Maybe tomorrow.
Old September 25th, 2016, 08:10 PM

Thanks Luke, any updates on the 68?
Engine is almost together, some chrome plating got done, nothing earth shattering... other life things have been keeping me buried.
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Shock pic 1
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well I guess it's workin now, here are the others.

Quick Reply: Finally a 442 4 me