Finally a 442 4 me

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2015, 06:42 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

The body guy stopped by last night. He believes he will be ready for it mid September. Now to get the rest of it tore down.
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:45 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
No problem Troy. Did it work?
Adam, I didn't get a chance yesterday evening with the body guy coming over. I just got home tonight, hopefully tomorrow night, I will tackle it. I will let you know.
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
No problem Troy. Did it work?
Worked quite well
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:55 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

One thing I can say is that I know how to take a front clip off of a 70 Cutlass or 442. ( I did learn where the big block braces go tonight. Pretty neat to tuck them away like that.)

I didn't think I would be surprised by the back side of the fenders and braces, and I wasn't. As long as the blaster doesn't uncover anything. I will be really pleased. Two fairly solid 70 fenders.

Pictures of progress, driver side lower cowl, driver side dirt pile (passenger side was twice as much ) and passenger backside of fender. ( Both sides look the same, just forgot to take a pic of the driver side.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0542.jpg (957.9 KB, 167 views)
IMAG0544.jpg (1.05 MB, 156 views)
IMAG0541.jpg (1.28 MB, 156 views)
IMAG0546.jpg (1.04 MB, 191 views)
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Proper Inspection

It is important to have the various parts inspected as they come out. As you can see our resident expert gave the engine and transmission a five "wag" certification as my son and I were putting the transmission on a cart.
Attached Images
IMG_2463.jpg (69.2 KB, 193 views)
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I am getting real close to complete disassembly, and I am down to a few punch list items before it goes to body guy. So, I have a couple of questions for anyone that has had the body blasted.

Does the insulation on the roof inside the car need to be removed or will the blasting take care of it? If not is it the ol putty knife, goggles, and mask, or is there an easier way?

Do you remove the brake mounting bracket that the booster mounts to and the steering column bolts to on the inside?

Anything else I should be aware or thinking of?
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:39 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

We have lift off- Long Day Yesterday

To begin with 5 of the 6 body bolts came out fairly easy. All came out by hand; however, the sixth one came part way and spun the castle nut. I had to cut a small tab, to get to it.

The rest of the process was slow, started about 4 pm, finished about 8:30pm. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
IMAG0704.jpg (1.03 MB, 162 views)
IMAG0723.jpg (2.00 MB, 157 views)
IMAG0727.jpg (787.6 KB, 148 views)
IMAG0725.jpg (1.13 MB, 159 views)
IMAG0729.jpg (1.24 MB, 156 views)
Old October 13th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

I almost forgot, I found a 2nd build sheet. It was moments from going into the trash. On back of the deck board.
Attached Images
IMAG0730.jpg (1.27 MB, 162 views)
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:34 AM

I am and have been enjoying your thread. I have owned over 65 Oldsmobiles and have built many. But, for some time I have wanted another 70-72. I have built the 67 Convertible mostly for my Dad as we bought it together back in 79. Now I finally got a 70 4 speed 442. it is about the same shape as your car. I will start on it after I finish the 67 for my better half. Keep posting it is great seeing another 70 coming back to life.

Larry
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I am and have been enjoying your thread. I have owned over 65 Oldsmobiles and have built many. But, for some time I have wanted another 70-72. I have built the 67 Convertible mostly for my Dad as we bought it together back in 79. Now I finally got a 70 4 speed 442. it is about the same shape as your car. I will start on it after I finish the 67 for my better half. Keep posting it is great seeing another 70 coming back to life.

Larry
Thanks Larry,

It is difficult to post anything that hasn't been seen on this sight before. This has been a life long dream of mine that I want to share the progress on; however slow it may be.

While always a car guy, I have come to realize there is a lot I do not know. I really envy the knowledge you all have that have been down this road multiple times.
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Progress has been almost at a standstill for the past few months.

I have a couple of other threads started.

On finding a painter. The first one dropped out on me, and everyone else from what I hear from the grapevine. Found a local guy I had been searching for, deposit made goes to his shop in July. He is taking on the rotisserie, and now I can start on the frame. Very Excited!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/general-discussion/101224-se-ohio-painter-recommendations.html

Engine taken to local Machine Shop, after a dissapointing find in the teardown. He is backlogged, and have not heard anything from him yet.
I will keep you guys posted.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/general-discussion/102352-how-far-save-s-matching-block.html

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; April 11th, 2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:05 PM

Looks like you have a good path forward Troy, looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:15 PM
delete

I am new to the thread. Looks good & I Like the color combo
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by droptopron
I am new to the thread. Looks good & I Like the color combo
Somehow, I thought you might. I will not have the vinyl top. Here is what I want her to look like, except with pearl interior. I copied this off the internet, so I appologize in advance if this is your car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
remote.jpg.jpeg (82.5 KB, 144 views)
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Looks like you have a good path forward Troy, looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks Luke,

Holidays, surgery, and the painter dilemma had me held up. However, things are on the move again. Now to start on the frame. I also need to make my final decision on the OAI air cleaner without major mods, or a performer intake.

How's the 68 H/O coming along?
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Somehow, I thought you might. I will not have the vinyl top. Here is what I want her to look like, except with pearl interior. I copied this off the internet, so I appologize in advance if this is your car.

If I ever did my car over, that is what it would look like.
The white vinyl top has grown on me but I like the cleaner lines w/out it.
I think the way my car sits right now its a pretty nice sleeper.
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by droptopron
If I ever did my car over, that is what it would look like.
The white vinyl top has grown on me but I like the cleaner lines w/out it.
I think the way my car sits right now its a pretty nice sleeper.
Ron,

I think your car looks great right now! Out of curiosity, is your headliner white (pearl) or black? While mine had a pearl interior according to the cowl, there was evidence of a black headliner and sail pannels. Most of the interior was gone, but what was there didn't look like it had ever been changed, but who knows?
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:25 AM
delete

White headliner & sail panels. Black dash, carpet & package tray.
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well progress is still slow, but moving. I have been finalizing what I wanted on the engine build, and trying to get all the pieces bought. Transmission is getting rebuilt. Working on some house projects. Today, I was able to get a replacement door on the 442, in between helping my son with his project and dodging the rain. The body man said given the magnitude of the dent, he thought it would be better to replace it. I have a 70 Cutlass S drivers door, but came across this one. It doesn't fit too bad, for a quick bolt on. It needs some minor adjusting, but the body guy will pull it back off in a few weeks. So I didn't worry about it too much.

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; June 4th, 2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 26th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well, still waiting on the body guy, but should be coming up here shortly.

House projects are at a standstill and being down at the Nationals was somewhat inspiring. Although, I must admit that I really wanted the body at the body shop to work on the chassis, as I keep tripping over things in the garage. Two projects, mine and my sons in a two car garage with one off of the frame and the body directly next to it doesn't allow much room. However space be darned, we are moving forward.

Progress tonight. 1) Removed crank from a 455 block that has never been apart to take to machine shop 2) Removed rear-end from chassis, and opened it up.

I already knew it was a posi. Here are some pics. The question of the day is, why are there random pieces/square chunks of rubber in the case. Was this to help keep the additive stirred in? In seems I heard that old mechanics tale before.

Old July 27th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Good luck with your '70 442. Seems the Twilight blue with white stripes and vinyl top was fairly popular that year. Most also seem to be very well equipped with multiple options.
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:09 PM

nice...

Very Nice project will be following along regarding the window channel, looking at the amount of rot, I would order the replacement channel from fusicks , dynacorn etc it will replace all of that area
this is what came from fusicks, and this is marked 68-72 chevelle but it does fit like a glove you do have to trim some but it was an excellent match, I butt welded it in and am just doing the finishing now, I would remove all the defroster stuff though it is all very close up in there.

76404599-33af-4e62-a214-2182ec3a914c.jpg

Anyway looking forward to your build

cheers eddie
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Might need to go that route, glad yours fit so well. I have line on a donor car, that is in nice shape that may supply the dash sections. If the troublesome window channel looks as good as the rest of the car, it will be good. Fingers crossed.
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:05 PM

Gotcha you might also need the top of the cowl the channel sits on I repaired mined
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Not much to speak of that was I nteresting last night. Removed the steering box, tie rods, idler, center link, and dealt with a couple of pesky front shock nuts.

Had a "what were they thinking" moment, when I removed the passenger side shock nut. I quests they lost the top rubber bushing and thought a nut about the same size would provide an equal amount of cushion???😧 You can also see the shocks were not the same, the shorter one was on the passenger side as well

Last edited by Troys Toy 70; July 29th, 2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Amazing how some people jury rig stuff or maybe it launched better? I have seen some weird stuff, chain on the engine etc etc keep at it
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:21 AM
344879M363895

I've been subscribed to this basically from the beginning and enjoy reading what you find. Any thoughts on those rubber pieces in there? (Post #60) Anyone?
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Yea, I don't know what the little shock and nut was for. I think it would through more weight to passenger side quicker, rather useless for a posi. Maybe it bottomed out quicker and cause it pushes back to the drivers side sooner. OR. Hey Bob, I only have one shock of this model. Here Bill, use this other one, the customer won't care. Hey Bob, did you see that rubber bushing I dropped? No Bill, use this nut it will be alright.😀

At any rate, spent the morning stripping a 4 door a friend of mine had for the window channel for a donor. Started another thread about the differences in A body windo channels, but here are the pictures.

Old July 30th, 2016, 04:10 PM

I would cut by the cowl under channel , I think than way you will be able to grind from the bottom up? Once you cut them spot welds there won't be a lot to rest on top of the cowl? You might even need the top of the cowl piece? Anyway following along
Old August 1st, 2016, 07:16 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Parts here, parts there, parts everywhere

I have always heard Body Shop Jail is the most aggitating and exhausting part of a restoration. However, I think it's chasing parts. As in:
I had those parts? Where did I put those parts?
I ordered those parts, but I didn't get all the parts yet.
I have some parts with this person/business or that person/business for whatever part they are playing in the restoration. Did I give them all the parts they need, did I forget something? What parts are they going to order again?

Today, I delivered engine parts to the machine shop 1 hr away. Took rear end another 1 1/2 hrs up the road. Got stuck in rush hour traffic 1 hr 15 min to go three miles. Finished, what should have been a 2 1/2 hour drive (now 4hrs) Got home, sheet metal parts came today checked the box, are the two front 1/4 floor pans in the box? Nope... Go chase parts some more.
Old August 1st, 2016, 07:28 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Today's progress

After venting,

I got to look at my new procomp heads here are a couple of pictures.

I took my rear end to Jim- Monzaz. Great guy, you can tell he is passionate about what he does. I'd like to say I'll remember everything he told me about different rear ends all makes and models, but I probably won't. However, I did remember a few things that I didn't know. As frustrating as the previous post is, I really enjoy learning about cars.
Old August 1st, 2016, 07:35 PM

Project management of a car restoration is hell, especially when the car isn't complete to start with. I'm learning that lesson than hard way too... working on it seems to be the easy part these days.
Old August 1st, 2016, 07:37 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

One last thing, I was so involved in trying to figure out the front shocks. I forgot to mention that I believe the back ones were still original. See pic.

Jim also had no idea why the rubber chunks were isn the differential.

Old August 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Project management of a car restoration is hell, especially when the car isn't complete to start with. I'm learning that lesson than hard way too... working on it seems to be the easy part these days.
Amen, it is the relaxing part for me!
Old August 1st, 2016, 10:35 PM

Enjoy. Looks awesome and what a great car
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:25 AM
344879M363895

Did you get a chance to test those rear shocks before you removed them? Any life left in them?
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:38 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Did you get a chance to test those rear shocks before you removed them? Any life left in them?
Not much of any life left in them. Pretty much go in and out like an acordion.😀
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:39 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Not much of any life left in them. Pretty much go in and out like an acordion.😀
Still make for a nice piece of history. Good for hanging in the garage or shed.
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:40 AM

think alike

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Still make for a nice piece of history. Good for hanging in the garage or shed.

We think alike, not sure if that's a good thing LOL, I kept the door I took off my car, I will gut it and cut most of the inner shell off and make a wall hanging for a man cave, paint it as a door off some famous oldsmobile racer smothers brothers or something...
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:09 AM

Looking great Troy.

Did you ever get any responses about the rubber chunks in the differential case? I'm fascinated by this.

Quick Reply: Finally a 442 4 me