Green Turd Arrived, 72 442

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Am I sensing ulterior motives behind being busy helping for the next few months?
Heck yeah!

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Gorgeous looking house...how recent are updates on things like electrical and plumbing?
Electrical great, plumbing another story as in galvanized piping everywhere and low water pressure.
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Am still busy with the house project but my brother dropped the 72 455 he purchased off at the machine shop. They called to say there are 2 small cracks near one of the core plugs and they do not recommend going any farther with it. We scrambled last Saturday and dug a 76 455 block out of my basement to realize duh there is no provision on the block for the Z bar mount. Rather than disassembling the 73 455 Eddie gave us I found a disassembled 67 425 with 39 degree cam angle in my stash. This will become the 455 for the project if it checks out good.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Still doing house work, never ends it seems but I am happy to say the engine is going together. The crank bolted in nicely and piston/rod assemblys, there is a set of pro comp heads waiting. The block bored .030 and rotating assembly balanced. The crank rods and pistons were purchased together from a guy who bought them and never used. It is the aftermarket (Eagle ?) crank that is already drilled for the pilot bushing and aftermarket rods and D cup pistons. The crank was checked out by the machine shop when they balanced. Flywheel and balancer were supplied to them for balance.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:13 PM

Slowly some time is becoming available for car stuff! The engine needs the intake, (supersonic offy) bolted on. The carb will be a Holley dominator series under 1000 cfm. Am also sanding the roof which is quite a job and there is rust under the paint and some sort of Epoxy primer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jeng.jpg (202.7 KB, 104 views)
j455.jpg (210.9 KB, 107 views)
j72.jpg (174.4 KB, 106 views)
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:53 PM

Aluminum heads - wow you guys are going for it on this one!
Old January 28th, 2017, 04:02 PM

Had a free day today while waiting for some plumbing parts to arrive for the house project so I was able to work on the 72. We started removing paint from the rockers and thats when the holes started to appear! I mean lots of holes everywhere. We had new rockers (repops) so I cut off the bad one on the passenger side and fitted the new one. Next time I will weld it in place and move over to the driver's side. I was thinking I was done welding on this car but sadly I was mistaken!
Old January 28th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Always something new.

Great to hear you're making progress, Joe!

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2017, 12:29 PM
NOVICE car nut

A diamond in the rough , nice find .
Old March 17th, 2017, 07:45 AM

I have to get some pictures but both rockers were welded on. I just need to grind some welds on the drivers side. We freshened up the door hinges on the passenger side and need to do the same on the others. 4 tiny rot holes were found on the rt door skin, nothing else so we zapped them closed. The rear is in and my brother wanted to add the era ladder bars. Brake system needs all new yet. Power steering is being changed to manual. There is so much to do yet but I see the engine being placed in soon!
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:32 AM

awesome progress Joe, cant wait to see when its all done
Old October 31st, 2017, 04:28 PM

It has been a while since an update and some progress is being made. The engine and trans (Muncie) are in. There was an issue finding a pilot bearing for the aftermarket crank which was already drilled but for what bearing I do not know as several were tried. We ended up going with the adapter style bearing. I installed an oil pressure and water temp gauge. The brakes are done and working with everything new there. One front body mount needed to be replaced along with some metal work on the body there. It has been decided to purchase repop fenders as the ones we have are not the greatest. I will get a chance to see the fit of these for myself when the time comes. One door has been primed as well as the hood and trunk lid and the quarters are almost ready for some primer, 1st coat. Its almost time to break in the engine. It will be great when the car can move under it's own for easy of working on the body. Yes i know pictures are lacking, hopefully I can get some soon. Also too an exhaust system has been installed, it is a 2.5 inch flow master style and when on pretty good from the hookers on back. The tailpipe hangers will need a little positioning to get the exhaust thru the bumper cutouts but they are close right now.
Old April 11th, 2021, 03:53 PM

The 72 has been getting some attention...finally! We gave the engine a spin and gave it a 15 minute run at about 2800 RPM. Will repeat this one more time after we take care of a few coolant leaks (heater core) and assess the radiator condition. In the mean time we mounted the repro fenders, fit was ok... some small modifications had to be made to a few mounting bolt ears on the fenders. If things go well at least the car will be in primer before fall.... if they go really well maybe even paint!

Old April 11th, 2021, 04:39 PM

Glad to see you are still working on it. Thanks for the updates.
Old April 11th, 2021, 06:32 PM

a beast in the making...👌