72 supreme rebuild

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2014, 04:24 AM

rear window

The glass guy came out yesterday while I was at work and removed the back window....great it didn't break.....not so great the guy pulled the defroster leads off the glass...he says he can solder the leads back on....I don't really want him touching it again....any ideas as to what would work to reattach them? Man I am pissed!
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:12 AM

hmmmm

Not sure how to solder near the glass without damaging the laminate? I have never hsd to reattach a defroster system, but I have soldered plenty, if it is solderable i imagine the wire, circuit track would be super thin so it shouldnt take much to heat the wires and a quick dab of solder, I would get a heat sink just in case and use the smallest tip you can .
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:23 AM

sorry

replied in the wrong thread no more egg nog in the am...LOL
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM
same but different

I'm just getting cought up in your progress. I must say, I'm amazed and glad you have the resources to do this.

I'm sure it will be better than ever.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:18 PM

rear window

heres pics of the wiring damage caused by the window guy

Last edited by bigin1978; December 19th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:22 PM

tail lights painted

I found some paint and got the tail lights painted today. Turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but I am happy with them.

Old December 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Justin

A co worker solders wire damage all the time on rear windows from broken wire's from wrecks or old brittle wires I think it should be fixable.

Are they willing to pay for the repairs needed ? I realize you don't want the guy messing with it any more but maybe the glass shop has a better technician that could make it right
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
A co worker solders wire damage all the time on rear windows from broken wire's from wrecks or old brittle wires I think it should be fixable.

Are they willing to pay for the repairs needed ? I realize you don't want the guy messing with it any more but maybe the glass shop has a better technician that could make it right

The guy works at a local glass company. He is old friends with dad. He just cut new glass or dads Model A coupe and he dropped it of and we got to Bull shitting and he said he would come out and cut it out for me. He has been doing it for over 20 years. I know he didn't mean to do anything and he was trying to help me out, it sounds like it shouldn't be to bad to fix. he said he could solder it .

It all comes from me not being able to get the wires off from the bottom of the window. he asked me to have them removed . I was going to cut the wires in the trunk so they would come out attached. I figured dad or I would be there when he was cutting the window out. I was at work and Dad was in the house when he got there. He let himself in and got it out .

Can the lead wires be cut in the trunk and spliced back together once the window is reinstalled?
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:49 PM

the whole edge

Hard to tell what you are showing I see what looks like damage to the whole strip running down the side, ( the light areas) if that is the case I would venture a possible fix is to get the copper tape used for stained glass you can get it at the crafts store, repair those spots and then seali it, theres ways to paint on glass think store lettering in the olden days , perhaps one shot clear with hardener just thinking out loud
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:09 PM

Nice thread, I will be following it. Surprising about that rust on the drivers floor. Both my Olds had (have) lots of rust in the outer areas but really nice floor pans. Maybe there was a windshield leak causing water to sit there? Great job on the tail light lenses.
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the positive comments. Its been a local car here in Erie Pa basically its whole life minus 10 years I had it in Kentucky. I got it in fall of 1993 from the original owners son. I have run into him over the years at local cruise ins. He has told me that his dad drove the car daily until the early eighties. So it has seen it share of snow and nastiness. I re-painted it and replaced the doors , repaired the front fenders and small patches in the lower quarters winter of 94-95. the floors were really nice back then. but I drove it summer of 95,96,97 as a daily driver I the summer. it was put up from 97-2001 when I got settled in Kentucky and had a garage to store it in .I would drive It to work maybe twice a month and cruise-ins three times a month in nice weather Back from Kentucky fall 2012 it has been driven a couple times a month for the two summers I have been back. I believe since 1997 it only has about 3200 miles on it. I also have a 1956 holiday 98 that I have had for about 8 years. so they split time. I have been favoring the 56 more. its a first place winner at NAOC in Columbus Indiana in 2012 and first place in Cincinnati this past summer.
Old December 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM

Not much time this weekend to get stuff done. so I masked up the back widow opening and sandblasted the lower corners of the back window. I didn't get pics, but typical bubbles in the lower corners. no holes just bad pitting. just filled with high build primer . I am still hoping to find time this weekend to start cutting quarters off. all depends if I can get a whole day kitchen pass!

Old December 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Quarter time

So the part that I have been dreading is finally here! the major work!
Dad got bored on Wednesday and started to cut the driver quarter off. found some outer wheel house rot. today I went over and fabricated a wheel house bottom. I turned out ok. all metal no bondo. its functional. not the prettiest thing ever , but the quarter fits it great and its solid. nobody but you guys will ever see it and pretty soon nobody will see it again. the quarter is rough fit. its gonna be another whole day to get it to fit perfect. then lots of welding and finish work. Its gotta get done.

Old December 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM

Impressive work .. very nice
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Final fit

So dad spent the better part of the afternoon working on fitting the driver quarter . I headed over after work and spent 4 hours cleaning up all the surfaces to begin installation tomorrow. I also started to fix the driver side trunk floor. I fabricated a patch by forming two joggles about 3/4 inch apart to recreate the factory look where the damage is rotted. its turning out pretty good. more welding and finish to go on the patch.

Last edited by bigin1978; December 29th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old December 30th, 2014, 05:39 PM

Installed

I have to say that I am very grateful that my dad is a retired body man! I can do the work, but not as fast or as nice as he can. He went out today and installed the quarter on the driverside. He glued the wheel opening and the lower rear area and welded the rest. He said tomorrow he is going to try and get it in primer. he is going to be 65 in a few weeks and works circles around most guys my age. If he keeps it up I might not have much left to do!

pic of quarter installed

I thought I would throw a pic of the GM sticker. Some guys haven't seen one

Here is my patch for the trunk floor I put two joggles 3/4 inch apart too form the raised area lots of grinding. Going to try and get it and the other side done this weekend.

Old December 30th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Justin

I know what you mean, my buddy did so much work on my 65 put me to shame and he is ready for retirement.

Great progress!
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:55 AM

Now you mention panel adhesive now !!!. Geez louise , I have heard guys do that, so he uses panelnadhesive around the wheel arch, and along the trunk drop down? Makes sense and probably seals that area up nicely, grwat metal work my friend, wish I had a Christmas elf working in my garage...lol... God bless him
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:24 AM

Yeap panel adhesive. Lord 110B. It seals the area. Strong than weld. No warping. Best if all you aren't laying on the ground with weld splatter burning the heck out of you. He's been using it for 20 years.
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:30 AM

Also if you notice the area by the quarter window is ground clean. Come to find out convertible has a totally different angle there. Besides being longer in that area. So if any body has a supreme and is buying these supreme/ convertible full quarters that are being sold make sure you know that they will need to be modified in that area to fit . I will try and get a picture of how we had to do it when the passenger side is done.
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:32 AM

Also the trunk corner on them is different. So just don't cut off at the factory seams and think they will work.
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:58 AM

Yeah weld splatter, my personal fav, had that yesterday, and I didnt want to stop so I was like kung fu with the flaming hibachi.... lol

Well too late now on the panel adhesive would have liked that , but as I replaced my drop downs, wheel housings etc etc maybe it was better welded as I did as I could shift pieces as they were being fitted tack them etc. Next time for sure . Ya never know I might finish ths project and get another lol...
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Ya never know I might finish ths project and get another lol...

I like that. It feels like that sometimes when you get in deep. You'll get her done. just keep plugging away. I hope I keep getting kitchen passes to go work on her. I have a bathroom gutted to stud that needs some attention too. the wife is getting a bit impatient about it. So I think that I need to get the exhaust fan and lights up this weekend maybe try to get a few sheets of dry wall up to. Gotta keep her happy too!
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:09 AM

absolutely..

Yup, Happy Wife Happy life.... I recommend the green sheetrock for any place that doesnt get splashed and the cement backerboard for any place that does ,

I fully understand how that goes, mt wife asked me to redo a bathroom, and that used up a whole year of resto money, then it was a kitchen, then a deck, then a fence ......etc etc lol....

And its always nicer to do it without being asked...that's major bonus points
Old January 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM

house tangent

I got laid off from the airline I was working for in Cincinnati so we decided to move back to Erie, PA where my family is. we bought a foreclosure that should have been torn down. gutted it. We filled two 30yd dumpsters. Took two bedroom cape cod with an attic and made it into a four bedroom 2 bath with an eat in kitchen. I have the down stairs bathroom to finish it is going to have a claw foot tub and a 5ftx4ft tiled shower. I got the can lights up and the exhaust fan mounted and wiring run today. hopefully drywall this weekend. I told her I would get this done before I got back to the car. big push on this bathroom now! Sorry for the of topic issues!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:42 PM

Funny enough my house started as a 2 bed cape, we started out with an idea to put dormers in ended up being a whole second floor lol...
Old February 17th, 2015, 05:29 PM

Finally got some free time

I had some free time this weekend so I got over to the garage . got the left side in primer. Moving on the the passenger side next. I have decided to save the full NOS passenger quarter and just straighten and repair the rust in the original.

Old June 24th, 2015, 06:22 PM

So it has been a long time since I had time to work on her. Spent last Saturday cutting the passenger quarter off. Repaired the lower wheel house same as the driver side. Sunday I spent a few hours patching the passenger side of the trunk floor.Today I got some time after work and fitted the New quarter panel. Its ready to be installed. Maybe I'll have some more time soon to do that.

Old June 28th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Yesterday and today i spent final fitting and installing the passenger side quarter panel. Glued from the top of the door post down around the wheel arch across the trunk drop off and up the back. Across the top is all welded. I started with some filler after the welds were ground. lots of work left on it, but made some good progress.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...c-0628-005.jpg
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...c-0628-007.jpg[IMG]
Old July 5th, 2015, 05:50 PM

So the passenger quarter is in primer. The first pic is the seam on the top of the quarter I stich welded and ground smooth, from the top front of the quarter down the post along the bottom all the way up to the quarter extension is glued on . LORD 110B. its great stuff and makes it so much easier to put a quarter on. then some filler and lots of sanding. the skin I used had a few small dings that I had to repair. that's what the filler on the sides is from in the second picture. The last picture is after I finished removing the trunk seal ad fixed the damage to the seal retainer. I then seam sealed the rear body panel and quarters and primed the whole rear of the car after. the damage from the wreck is now all repaired and I am going to be starting on the floor pan repairs next when time permits.

Old July 5th, 2015, 05:58 PM

heres a picture of the front of the quarter.
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM

time for the front

Now that the back half is just about done i am going to start moving on to the front. I picked up these front fenders from a couple guys on here awhile back. dropped them of to be glass beaded last week and picked them up today. they look great. I have some dents and one crease, but no rust or rot. first picture is fresh from the blaster. then in primer for protection.

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:23 PM

I had a few free minutes today so I test fitted the rear bumper today just to make sure it fits after all this work. looks like it will be all good!

Old September 13th, 2015, 05:25 PM

Driver floor Pan

Today I decided to start with the floor pan repairs. I got AMD pan for the driver side. very nice heavy piece. Very high quality crisp stamping. I would recommend them from now on. I took about 5 hours to cut out, fit and weld in. I still need to grind and finish , but good progress made. I also blocked the trunk lid again. One more coat of primer on the back half then a final blocking with 320 and it'll be ready for paint.

Old September 27th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Got a kitchen pass this morning so before football, I went over to the garage and got her on the ground. pushed her outside to turn her around and start on the front. The back half is ready for a final block sand right before paint.
I pulled the front bumper and the driver fender. the "new" original fender is bolted on to repair some dents and one kink. The fender is totally rust free. I am going to do the same on the passenger side with that fender. once they are both in primer I will pull them back off and remove the core support to remove the engine and detail it and the front frame. things are moving long. I still have to do the passenger floor toe kick, but I needed a change of pace.

Old October 30th, 2015, 07:20 PM

got the passenger side fender off and put on the "new" passenger fender. both fenders are nice originals they both need straightened a bit. hope to get some time this weekend to get them both straight and blocked once or twice. Once they are pretty close, I will remove them and remove the core support and engine.

Old October 31st, 2015, 06:37 PM

Good work!
Old October 31st, 2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Good work!

Thank you
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:03 PM

Today got both front fenders straightened and primed both blocked once and reprimed.
I think next Saturday I will take them both back off and get the core support removed and work on getting the engine out. Got to start making some good progress if its gonna be done for OCA Nationals in July!!!

Old November 7th, 2015, 08:02 PM

Front End

Front fenders are ready for a final block sanding before paint. I removed them tonight . The radiator and ac condenser removed from the core support. Then the core support from the frame. I took everything off of the core support and separated the center support. I will take it to have it glass beaded Monday. Its in surprisingly good shape. no rot at all! The engine is next to come out. lots to do!

Quick Reply: 72 supreme rebuild